Thread: A weighty issue
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
Ok, it’s your rules and so be it in your games.
When you say Your rules, Its sounds like you are not aware its in NF and NCAA rule book.

BTW, I don’t for one-second buy the argument that Brad puts forward that it will prevent the confusion of a player throwing the ball to the opponent by mistake. How many sq. inches of green jersey shirt vs. whiteT-shirt is the thrower looking at when he is about to throw? Speaking of such things it time to leave for the gym.
Sorry, but you are mistaken. I've played all my life, and still do. I've seen it many times. I even had a player throw me a pass the other night when I was officiating. Players just see out of the corner of the eye a color. So its not just me its NF and NCAA. So many others disagree with you. [/B][/QUOTE]

Let me see if I can paint this so that you will understand.

Go back and read Rainmaker’s original post in on this. We are talking about a “RECREATIONAL” league here NOT “NF or NCAA.” In my reply to Juulie I am presenting a different philosophy of running a rec league. We don’t emphasize or enforce things like uniform rules. We put our emphasis on providing a teaching environment, a fun environment, and safe environment for the kids. With programs for over 1800+ kids ages 5 to 18/19 and 400 adults, both men and woman, I say we are providing a service that our community is content with. Rainmaker’s area (dare I say part of the Left Coast) appears to have different way of looking at RECREATIONAL ball than we do in Northern Virginia. If the rec game she is talking about is in Padgett’s league, I know it is a fine organization. We corresponded about 5 years or so ago and my league adopted some of his leagues philosophy, though not all. I’ll add even more so you can be appalled with us. We don’t even follow the design rules of the NF for our jerseys. On top of that, we have numbers 6, 7, and 8 on our kids’ jerseys. We save $2.00 a jersey that way as each numeral cost a dollar. The NF may not like it but the $1300+ we save

Zooming out some, I have yet to walk into a gym, when I am doing a contracted rec game for my NF/IAABO association, where I don’t see all types of uniform and logo violations. Should I enforce NF rules? I think not.

I’ve also played basketball all of my life and I’ll be 56 before this season is over. This from “all skins” games during the 90-degree heat and 90 %humidity of New Orleans’ summers on school blacktops, through HS bench warmer, to college rec ball, to adult ball. I’ve never had a problem with identifying my team members.

Now if we are talking about a HS game sanctioned by the VHSL this is a different matter.