Thread: A weighty issue
View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 16, 2004, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the coach really wanted to play him but other officials wouldnt let him play because he didnt have a matching shirt. I said well that is easily fixed in this situation.

So I went to my bag pulled out an extra, white T shirt that i always carry, went back to the concesion stand and got a black marker and put a number on the back of the shirt. Went to the kids parents and explained to them that if they would let him wear this shirt he could play in the game. They agreed and that was probably the happiest little man i have seen in a long time.
[Edited by jcarter on Feb 16th, 2004 at 09:22 AM]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great Story, I nominate you for the humanitarian award.

I agree at levels less than varsity, we should try to keep players in the game as far as uniforms are concerned.

HEH, Thanks Bart. For me it is all about the kids. Even though this is my first year for basketball I have been umping softball/baseball for many years. Yes it is nice to do some high school games and I do some rec sports for that extra cash but for me it is donating my time to the local organizations for the kids. I think i actually work harder at the kids games than i do the adults because to me. It is more than just officiating when it is for the kids.

I feel that in this day and age most coaches do not teach rules to the kids in sports anymore. That is why i work harder for them because not only do I want to call a good game I want them to understand the rules behind the calls. It is not uncommon for me to stop in the middle of a game and explain why certain things happen.

I think that if the kids were taught more about the rules we would not get a lot of the tantrum throwing that we see in High School games and above. Currently it is all about making money to these kids now. How much money can I make in the futur playing this sport. Instead of learning and enjoying what it is to be part of a team and learning the ins and outs of a sport.