Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 09:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Soooooooo......

Using your same logic, it's a T if the ball hits the coach while he's sitting on the bench?
The difference is that in Mark's exmaple, Coach B made an effort to touch the ball. I don't care if he's in his coaching box. The ball hitting the coach in not an intentional act.

IOW, Coach B deliberately acted to interfere with A's bonified attempt to recover a live, inbounds ball.

Technical foul (aka option 2).

What if A2 could tip it back to A3, near the sideline and with no other player nearby to intercept the ball, and A is down by 1 with 7 seconds to go?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 09:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee

IOW, Coach B deliberately acted to interfere with A's bonified attempt to recover a live, inbounds ball.

Do you mean "bona fide" attempt? Man, I would hate to see anyone get bonified - and certainly not in front of an entire gym full of people.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 09:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Soooooooo......

Using your same logic, it's a T if the ball hits the coach while he's sitting on the bench?
The difference is that in Mark's exmaple, Coach B made an effort to touch the ball. I don't care if he's in his coaching box. The ball hitting the coach in not an intentional act.

Technical foul (aka option 2).

What if A2 could tip it back to A3, near the sideline and with no other player nearby to intercept the ball, and A is down by 1 with 7 seconds to go?
What difference does it make if the B coach tries to catch the ball, or he just let's it hit him? If he catches the ball while he's sitting on the bench, hasn't he committed the exact same act- catching a live, inbounds ball? Are you gonna T him up for doing that too?

Do you have a rules citation that will back your T call up? Do you also have a rule citation that will negate R7-2-1( a ball is caused to go OOB by the last player inbounds to touch it) and R7-1-2(the ball is OOB when it touches any other person on or outside a boundary). Those are pretty specific rules.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What if A2 could tip it back to A3, near the sideline and with no other player nearby to intercept the ball, and A is down by 1 with 7 seconds to go? [/B]
They should have been up by 1 with 7 seconds to go.

When the ball goes on the oob side to the line, and it touches a coach (i.e. coach grabs it) it is oob by the player who last touched it while the ball had inbound status.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 10:05pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

Do you mean "bona fide" attempt? Man, I would hate to see anyone get bonified - and certainly not in front of an entire gym full of people.
I most definetely do mean "bona fide".

I thought that I didn't know the proper spelling to that word while I was typing it in, but relied on my spelling instincts.

The only person that I know that keeps a dictionary near his computer is JR.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

Luckily half time ended before they got to the bonifying.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 10:13pm

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:

They should have been up by 1 with 7 seconds to go.[/B]
This makes no sense. No more than saying A should have been up by 40 so that it makes no difference.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
When the ball goes on the oob side to the line, and it touches a coach (i.e. coach grabs it) it is oob by the player who last touched it while the ball had inbound status.
I'm going to pass this on then to all the coaches in my area. Tell them that they or a person on their bench should interfere with a play where an actual player is trying to decide the outcome of the game. Oh, what a novel idea that is. :O

I'll even make it a POE that the coach can even stretch himself, while in the c-box, into the inbounds side of the sideline plane if A touched it last to guarantee his team possession of the ball.

But then again, both coaches will be doing it, so we're all even steven.

There's nothing about a coach intentionally interferring with live play that is basketball. Nothing.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 10:25pm

Quote:
Do you have a rules citation that will back your T call up? Do you also have a rule citation that will negate R7-2-1( a ball is caused to go OOB by the last player inbounds to touch it) and R7-1-2(the ball is OOB when it touches any other person on or outside a boundary). Those are pretty specific rules.
Extend the situation... say Coach B stretches across the sideline.

What makes the most sense is that the official makes a judgement call. (Cuz you know, we do that from time to time in a game.) If the official judged that the ball became dead by virtue of being out of bounds because of an intentional act by a non-player, with an opposing player able to make a play on the ball, then we have a technical foul.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Extend the situation... say Coach B stretches across the sideline.
OK....but did he did this in this sitch?
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 10:37pm

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
In this case, what I feel is more important is the effect. In both cases, a player has a chance to make a play on the ball, but wes denied that opportunity.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
In this case, what I feel is more important is the effect. In both cases, a player has a chance to make a play on the ball, but wes denied that opportunity.
OK...now what if the ball hit the bench before A1 had a chance to save it? How is this different?

Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
NF rules. A1 passes the ball to A2. The ball deflects off A2 and heads toward the sideline. The ball bounces inbounds and as the ball then is in the air over the OOB area, A2 tries to jump from inbounds to tap it back before it (or he) touches anything OOB and it appears that he will be able to do this successfully. However, while A2 is in the air and reaching for the ball, coach B (who is legally standing in his box OOB) grabs the ball.

What's your call?

1) The coaching box is a privilege that the rules allow.

2) The coaching box is for the Head Coach to coach his
players, not chew an officials tuchus.

3) The coaching box does not give the Head Coach a free
pass to interfere with play.

4) The Head Coach must be aware of where the ball is and to
attempt to get out of the way of the ball and the players
if they come near his coaching box. It is one thing for
a Head Coach to catch the ball when he is in his coaching
box when it comes at him and there is no possibility of a
player making a play for the ball; this is nothing more
than a out-of-bounds violation by the team that caused
the ball to go out-of-bounds. But in Mark's posted play
Coach B interfered with play. If a Head Coach interfers
with play while in his coaching box, his actions are a
technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Wed Dec 08, 2021 at 05:42pm. Reason: Corrected spelling mistake.
Old Thu Feb 05, 2004, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Mark, it's TUCHUS, not tuckus

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tuchus

And the rest of your post is wrong too.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 12:24am
Administrator

Quote:

Hey Mark, it's TUCHUS, not tuckus

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tuchus

And the rest of your post is wrong too.

Oy vey, what a mensch I am. Thanks for the spelling correction.

And before you make a blanket condemination of my post, why don't you address each of my points and give reasons why I am wrong.

In the 2002 YBOA Girls' National Championship, I saw a coach receive a well deserved technical foul for interfering with a throw-in while still in his coaching box. The coach did not attempt to touch the ball, instead he jumped up with his arms held high to block the view of the thrower who was trying to throw a pass to a wide open teammate under her basket.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 01:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
OK...now what if the ball hit the bench before A1 had a chance to save it? How is this different?

Dan, I can see by the rules, that you are probably correct. But I'm having trouble swallowing it. Why isn't it unsportsmanlike for a coach to deliberately interfere with play?