Official Forum Member

Talking

JR nice, very nice!!!!!
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Vive la difference.

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
The more the world moves towards political correctness, the further it moves away from common sense. I'm surprised this "womyn" coach didn't teach a person-to-person defense. Every time I hear that I want to puke.

It's a general freaking term, people. This coach needs to spend more time coaching and less time taking up causes. Otherwise, let someone else coach who is willing to work hard to better the team.
Mais, non, mon ami. Why, in Franz, they are going to follow up stripping the identities of Muslim girls (you are but zee hunk of protoplasm while you are in the care of the rational State) with removing the etymologically gender laden articles from their associated nouns. Everyone will begin to speak differently at midnight, 2005. Really. Trust me. They don't even know this yet, but it will happen.

Speech evolves toward efficiency. It's easier to say man-to-man than person-to-person. Prolly that has as much to do with what people do as anything. I mean, nobody complains when people refer to girls' balls, right? Be practical and loving, all will work out just fine.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I might be too young.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859

p.s. they also call police officers (back when) Dicks
Was that just not the Detectives they called "Dicks?" I know police officers can be dicks, but that did not include everyone right?

Peace
Right. As though anyone thinks a dick head is in charge of the dicks.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2004, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Dicks are detectives, as in, the House Dick is the Hotel Detective.

Although, I've seem some dicks coaching and they were female as well as male. I think some of them wished they were male.

Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
It's probably just as well I've been off having a life, and haven't read this thread till now. I'm more than a little disappointed in some of you. Oh, well, I'll get over it. Let's not do anymore discussion, though. I really don't want to have to get on my soapbox. As they say, "Don't get me started. Don't EVEN get me started..."
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
It's probably just as well I've been off having a life, and haven't read this thread till now. I'm more than a little disappointed in some of you. Oh, well, I'll get over it. Let's not do anymore discussion, though. I really don't want to have to get on my soapbox. As they say, "Don't get me started. Don't EVEN get me started..."
You must have been watching "Judge Hatchett" - she uses that statement at the opening of her show.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Smile

And if my truck I drive is a "Peterbuilt", should I call it a Johnsonbuilt?
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TPS2859
And if my truck I drive is a "Peterbuilt", should I call it a Johnsonbuilt?
No you should call it a "Patriciabuilt" or if you want to be totally PC then call it a "PATbuilt" aka saturday night live.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Who's dumber, you guys for continuing this thread, or me for reading the whole thing?

One more thing that no one has mentioned, you will do what you are told to do. No one wants your opinion!!! If the NFHS says that players will only be reguarded as "persons", that's what you and the coaches will call them. The Bob Knights of the world are a dying breed.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 05:36pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Who's dumber, you guys for continuing this thread, or me for reading the whole thing?

One more thing that no one has mentioned, you will do what you are told to do. No one wants your opinion!!! If the NFHS says that players will only be reguarded as "persons", that's what you and the coaches will call them. The Bob Knights of the world are a dying breed.
You're kidding, right? The NFHS? Please. I haven't had one game check signed by them or one assignment made by them.

Answering your other question, there may be more than two options to consider.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No one wants your opinion!!!
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow, that's a tough question that will require serious consideration on my part. Since I'm kind of an analytical geek, I think I'll write down the evidence as I see it then proceed to carefully weigh each piece.

What do I know about lrpalmer3?

1)Chooses to come out of the box on first post questioning the intelligence of forum members.

2)Judges forum members based on one thread rather than the totality of the information conveyed therein.

3)Makes emphatic statement regarding the fact that no one wants our opinion but has registered to participate on a board where we express our opinions.

4)Apparently thinks NFHS is leader of totalitarian regime that controls all that is said.

5)Makes inane comment about Bob Knight that I am having trouble connecting with the rest of the post.

What do I know about everybody else:

1)For the most part, good people seeking to be as professional as possible in their hobby.

2)Committed to answering legitimate questions posed about basketball rules.

3)Tolerates the "Can I catch my own airball" question without any known felonies committed against those asking it for the four thousandth time.

4)Rainmaker makes a lot of literary references so she must be able to read books.

5)Of course, you've got to consider Padgett

Ok, Ok, that's enough. I have made up my mind. Of course, since I assume that this is a secret ballot, I won't disclose my vote.

Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to CYO Butch
Quote:

To give lrpalmer3 a little break, my guess is that when he was saying "Nobody wants your opinion" he was refering to the people who make the rules at the NFHS, not the people who read and post here. If that is what he really meant, I think I agree with him. On the other hand, what is with the Bobby Knight reference? Are we supposed to believe the guy was a role model for independent thinking?
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Coach B was out of line

Sorry, but the difference is that Coach A is talking to Team A. This is his job. Coach B is talking to Team A about Coach A. None of her business.

A coach is supposed to coach, not hold a political rally. This is something she should probably have complained about in the pre-game conference. Surely this is not the first time Coach B has run into someone using 'man' as a generic term for a player.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Coach A employs a commonly used phrase, coach B goes out of her way to take offense. And she responds by attacking coach A in a manner she presumes would be insulting.
How better to make her point? She used the exact same thinking that the male coach used. Call 'em "men". Why should anybody care? Everybody knows they're girls. . . Somehow that's not insulting.

But when she then uses the same technique -- Call him "she". Why should anybody care? Everybody knows he's a man -- you presume that it's insulting.

That's exactly her point. And while I personally wouldn't pick this fight, I don't think it's all that far-fetched.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2004, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Woman, oh woman, this thread is getting out of hand! And to think it all started with a coach getting mad about her team being womanhandled on the court. How did we womanage to get this far?

Perhaps this is not for officials to decide, but for game womanagement to decide. I wonder what this coach's womantra is...probably "womany spoons stir the pot" or whatever that saying is spouting forth from her womandible.

As soon as this thread is closed and forgotten about, it will be like womanna from heaven.

Well, like the Spanish say, hasta woman~ana.