Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
[i]
My guess is tht the official who made the call got it right.

As nine01c stated, the L was probably blocked out, and the T has a wider view of the play. Most coaches I know hate it when a call isn't made because the official says, "It's not in my area," just as much or more than they hate a missed call.
I don't recall ever saying to tell the coach "It's not in my area". How many times have you had a partner make a bad call in your area and their reason was I thought you were blocked out and couldn't see what happened?
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: uh guys?

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by rainmaker
TH [/B]
Rita -- don't mind Tony too much. He seems to be a little testy tonight. Also, I hope you'll stay around and keep posting. You could be the 4th (!) woman who is posting regularly on this board, and that's definitely a big improvement in the general atmosphere. nine01c, and oatmealqueen, don't you agree? [/B][/QUOTE]

Of course I agree. The boys have cooties
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

But ...

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Regarding calling out of your area...

I know a certain Veteran Official that was at the WA state B tournament in Spokane last year that got "marked down" for making a call out of his area. (2 person crew)

The observer said it was probably the right call but it didn't look good. Remember, these observers are usually Veteran Officials and Coaches...so they are human, they really can have varying degrees of opinions.

BTW, this Veteran Official, that was marked down, ended up being ranked 3rd... (Alternate for the Championship Game)..and the partner whom he called in his area ended up being ranked last, 16th.
My point is, it might have been the right call...but somebody didn't like the call, and that somebody had a position of power.

RD
But the veteran who was ranked 3rd still had the peace of knowing that he made a good call.

So what with rankings... if your goal is to call a championship game go for it, (as was noted the guy who was calling in his area was ranked way down the list)

but if just have the desire to be a very very good official then it really isn't that important.

My philosophy has been that if I do a good job then I will get to move up the ladder, and its served me well for 24 years.

Thanks
David
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

I'll call out of my area, but before I do, I consider a few points...

1) Where is my partner?
2? Does my partner have a view of the play or where they screened?
3) What is the potential call?

I'll never call a foul or traveling on a 1 on 1 matchup that is right in front of them with clear line of sight.

As lead, in a half court situation, I don't think there are many situations that warrant calling in the trail's primary....unless they are simply asleep at the wheel. One exception is when A1 is toeing the sideline on the lead's side and above the FT line extended. B1 comes up behind and gives A1 a little bump, knocking them OOB. Trail is going to be in the middle of the floor but still doesn't have a great view. Lead is covering lead's sideline and has a perfect view between the bodies. Trail's primary but lead can make the call.

As trail, in a half court situation, I think there are a lot of opportunities for the trail to help out.

For example, ball in the paint with lot of players. A1 on lead's side spins across the key and is fouled by a secondary defender from the top side during the spin. It's a common situation but it is often that the lead can not see this.

Another example, lead covering ball deep in the corner with A1 being guarded by B1. A2 is setting a screen nearby with B2 also nearby. (Lead is well occupied) Trail, who has shifted positions to be well into the floor looking down the lane, is covering off ball has post action...even on lead's side. Quick drop pass to A4 on the stongside block with B4 covering. B4 shoves A4 in the back. The lead, if in the right position to cover the corner will likely not be able to see this or be able to get into a new position to see it in time. The moment the ball is there, this is technically the lead's primary. However, the trail has seen the whole play. Lead can call it but I'd expect the trail to take it.

Anytime the ball is in the paint (or any confined area) with 7+ bodies, off ball and on ball are nearly the same location. The trail should not be afraid to cover action on the closer part of the paint. Sure, it may be lead's "primary" but the lead may end up wiht 6 bodies between him and the action.

The book definitions of primary and secondary are only guidelines. If the players are imbalanced or packed in tight, the areas should shift so that the play is well covered.
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Great examples Camron...
In fact, the call in question was by the Lead in the Trail's primary. The ball was coming into the frontcourt. A1 had just crossed the division line near Lead's sideline.
There was a bump by B1, but the bump didn't cause A1 to go OOB. The official thought it was enough of a bump to call a foul, and since the Trail was still moving up the court (and was still in the backcourt) the Lead thought he would get this foul.
It was a stretch, and I think the official realized this after he called it.