View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Just for clarification:

I, Nine01c, AM a female (but I can change...if I have to)
just kidding. I have officiated basketball for seven years and baseball for nine. I purposely did not disclose the gender of my partner in that game. It was a female. I have reffed 53 games this season, and 2 have been with a female partner. I have NEVER had a partner, male or female, be on such an ego-power trip as that lady was.

I should have been forewarned. Before the game I mentioned that I had worked only one game with another female this year. I said who she was and that she did a great job for a three year ref (I thought she was excellent). Then she put in her two cents about how she had to "explain a few things to her" and that her mechanics were weak and she was too timid, etc. I thought none of that stuff was true, but she probably scared the poor kid to death.

My original point was concern about this partner's "communication skills" and HOW she deals with people (like me). If I screwed up and should NOT have made the travel call, I can admit it and live with it, and learn from it. Hey, maybe I messed up, but it's NOT the end of the world (or HER career). Regarding gender, I think of us ALL as officials, not "male" officials and "female" officials.