View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
I had one yesterday. Lower level varsity game, I had never met my partner. About two minutes into the game partner gets down to endline area on a fast break, stampede style, cluster of players. As Trail I was approaching the division line and I see big center do the Flintstone Run (3-4 steps) before going in for (made) lay-up. Tweet! (me).I wipe out basket, give travel call (see look of anger/horror/insult? on partner's face). Next dead ball, partner was in my face stating, "Most partners would eat you alive for making that call in their area."

You might want to evaluate making AT&T calls. While I disagree with the method she took to communicate her dissatisfaction with you, I do think there is something to learn, that is IF you really want to better your game.

Wait just a second....this could be alright, depending on where you were when you made the call.

Was this a half-shuffle, or an obvious, multi-step, pack your bags, travel?

Did you run in, get good and close, and give a good, strong signal?

These are things to consider.

Last year, NCAA tournament, Elite Eight, I saw a similar play, and no cluster of bodies - train wreck on a transition layup - Lead has block - Ed Hightower comes sprinting in from beyond the arc, steps right into the middle of the paint, six feet from partner, and calls travel. Replay showed he was right. Gutsy call.

If a cluster of bodies means I miss an obvious travel, I WANT my partner to help on that one. The key is not to make the call from 60 feet away. But call it!

This "partner woulda eaten you alive" stuff is b.s. Do the right thing. Period.

But in this case, only if it was an OBVIOUS, blatant, bad travel.