View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 16, 2004, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bart Tyson
I don't think we should call traveling in our partner's area. Every time I have had a partner call a traveling in my area, it was a bad call. If you are watching the same players in my area, then who is watching your area?
Every time? C'mon Bart, who are you kiddin'?

I don't buy the "If you're watching his area, who's watching yours?" argument. Officiating basketball does not mean you have to stare only at your area. My field of vision does not automatically end where my area ends. It's impossible to do.

In three man, there's not always somebody in my area, when I'm at T. With the changed coverage and the elimination of the dual area, there's NO WAY the L can always focus on the upper body contact and watch the dribbler or post player for traveling. In these situations, the T has to help.

Now, I will say that if you go into someone's else primary and make a call, you'd better be 110% sure of the call. But when an obvious violation or foul occurs, we have a job to do. If it's in your primary and my secondary, I'll give you first shot. But I'm not going to let you make the crew look bad by passing on a call that I'm 110% sure is a foul or violation.