View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 15, 2004, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

I had one yesterday. Lower level varsity game, I had never met my partner. About two minutes into the game partner gets down to endline area on a fast break, stampede style, cluster of players. As Trail I was approaching the division line and I see big center do the Flintstone Run (3-4 steps) before going in for (made) lay-up. Tweet! (me).I wipe out basket, give travel call (see look of anger/horror/insult? on partner's face). Next dead ball, partner was in my face stating, "Most partners would eat you alive for making that call in their area." I said, "I saw the travel and thought you were screened out." Reply was, "No, she didn't travel and don't EVER call in my area again." She DID travel, No, she DIDN'T, so I dropped the subject. (Oh my God, this is going to be a long game)

To be honest, I rarely call my partner's area as I have learned to watch my OWN area and not be a ball follower.However, contrary to my lecture, about 99% of refs I work with will pre-game to "Call anything obvious they may miss in their area if I see it, this is NOT an ego contest." Anyway, this average ref who has the illusion of being superb made several mechanics mistakes (confused on switching) and tried to boss me around, directing me to have "good time management" (hurry up is more like it) probably because the whole thing had become an embarassment (mostly caused by these militant actions). I remained calm and was not intimidated (but was glad when it was over).

By the way, when I work with another ref who does something to frustrate/anger me, my reaction is never harsh and belittling like that. I can get my point across (if necessary) without being rude and overbearing.