The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I'm sure this is obvious, but I couldn't come up with a case or rule to cover the situation. We were going over the FED test last night and this came up.

A1 releases the ball on a try for goal. While the ball is in the air, A2 fouls B2 near the division line. The try is successful. Team B is not in the bonus. Where is the ball put into play?

I couldn't remember if you put the ball in play like after any basket (run the endline), or if you put the ball in play at the spot nearest the foul. There's only two choices, but I can't remember the rationale for which one is right.

Who's got the casebook citation?
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
30 views and nobody will even guess?!?!
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

I say end line. Rule 7.5.7 but could be talked into spot closest to foul!
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 03:39pm
Jerry Blum

Administer Throw-in.

I don't have a rule book but I would have to guess that it would be the spot nearest the foul. Since this foul is away from the ball I would think that it should be handled the same as any 'Off the Ball' foul.

If I'm wrong please correct me so that I can get it right.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 03:41pm
In Memoriam

Rule 7-5-5. "....after a common foul prior to the bonus rule being in effect, any player of the offended team shall make the throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul". Ergo, Q.E.D, spot throw-in where the foul occurred- near division line.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 03:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff the Ref
I say end line. Rule 7.5.7 but could be talked into spot closest to foul!
The "ensuing throw-in spot" from the foul, as in R7-5-7 isn't the end line. It's at center court nearest where the foul happened, as per R7-5-5.

Did I talk you into that?
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

okay, I will guess

There is a similar circumstance in the casebook where a foul by A2 takes place after the ball is in flight from a free throw by A1. Book says anywhere along the baseline if the throw was successful. 6.7.B Rule 7-5-7 is also cited that even though a foul occurs after a successful goal, the ball should be taken out along the end line with B running the baseline. So I vote for the throw in along the baseline with B allowed to run the baseline.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Re: okay, I will guess

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
There is a similar circumstance in the casebook where a foul by A2 takes place after the ball is in flight from a free throw by A1. Book says anywhere along the baseline if the throw was successful. 6.7.B Rule 7-5-7 is also cited that even though a foul occurs after a successful goal, the ball should be taken out along the end line with B running the baseline. So I vote for the throw in along the baseline with B allowed to run the baseline.
In this play, the spot is on the baseline because that's the closest spot.

In Chuck's play, the ball is inbounded at the closest spot to the foul, not on the baseline.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down No- way!

JR has got it. The foul is the anomaly. Following a successful try, normal throw-in is under the basket... but now we have a foul. Answer: Throw-in near the spot of the foul.

Let's say the fouler/foulee were reversed and the teammate of the shooter was fouled... is there any question now. You surely wouldn't give the ball back to the shooting team under its own basket (unless that is where the foul ocurred).

Ball in to the offended team at the spot of the foul. 7.5.5 Situation B (items b&c) spells it out pretty clearly even though the foul is committed during the throw-in. Running the endline priveledge is taken away if the throw-in spot would be away from the endline.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 04:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref in PA
1)In Casebook play 6.7B,the closest spot to the foul IS the baseline.That falls in line with R7-5-5.
2)Rule 7-5-7 states that the "team retains this privilege IF the scoring team commits a ...foul and the ensuing throw-in spot WOULD be on the endline". The "ensuing throw-in spot", in this case would be at center, NOT the endline, as per R7-5-5.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

The foul by A2 while A1's try is in flight wipes off the basket, does it not? And that being the case, the only place that makes sense is at mid-court a.k.a. the spot nearest the foul.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Inbound near the spot of the foul - 7-5-7 startes that the team gets to run the endline unless the foul/violation occurs at a spot off the endline - it makes no differentiation as to when the foul is committed.
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
The foul by A2 while A1's try is in flight wipes off the basket, does it not? And that being the case, the only place that makes sense is at mid-court a.k.a. the spot nearest the foul.
Nope.

A PC foul would cause the ball to become dead - no basket (6-7-4).

However, any other foul goes by the exception that the ball is not dead until the try/tap ends (6-7-7 & Exception)
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 02:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
30 views and nobody will even guess?!?!
Not while my assignor is watching!!