The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 31, 2023, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Throw in Spot

This may have been addressed already, so sorry if it is redundant.

Ball goes OOB in Team A frontcourt, officials are unsure of who it went off of so they go with the arrow which belongs to Team A. Is the throw-in spot where the ball went OOB's or is it now treated as a held ball and goes to one of the four spots?
Old Tue Oct 31, 2023, 01:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Original Reason For The Whistle ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Ball goes OOB in Team A frontcourt, officials are unsure of who it went off of so they go with the arrow which belongs to Team A. Is the throw-in spot where the ball went OOB's or is it now treated as a held ball and goes to one of the four spots?
Great question.

There's a similar situation in a 2023-24 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretation, but with a timeout rather than held ball AP arrow.

In the interpretation one goes to the "original" reason for the whistle, thus not one of the four "special spots", but the where the ball went out of bounds.

2023-24 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 1: Team A has possession of the ball in its frontcourt when the ball is deflected out of bounds by Team B. The ball exits the court along the end line close to the right sideline. Team A is granted an inbounds at the location where the ball exited the court. While Team A is trying to inbounds the ball, Team A calls a time-out. After the time-out, the inbounds spot (a) returns to the same spot; (b) moves to the designated spot 3 feet outside of the lane along the end line. RULING: (a) Correct procedure; (b) Incorrect procedure. COMMENT: Since the ball was not on the court, the time-out did not create a “stoppage in play” that would move the inbounds spot to one of the four designated spots. Play will continue from the inbounds spot established by the deflection of the ball by Team B. (7-5-2, 7-5-3a)

I'm assuming that it's the same for this situation, out of bounds and held ball AP arrow, not one of the four "special spots", but the where the ball went out of bounds.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 31, 2023 at 02:20pm.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2023, 02:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
This may have been addressed already, so sorry if it is redundant.

What caused play to be stopped? An out-of-bounds violation. First of all if that happens to you, let us all know. Secondly, if that is the case, what is the intent of the rule? The rule clearly is so that you treat out-of-bounds plays like we did before. So I would say it is exactly the same as in the past.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 31, 2023, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
What caused play to be stopped? An out-of-bounds violation. First of all if that happens to you, let us all know. Secondly, if that is the case, what is the intent of the rule? The rule clearly is so that you treat out-of-bounds plays like we did before. So I would say it is exactly the same as in the past.

Peace
This was what I was thinking until I was over thinking it
Old Tue Oct 31, 2023, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

"unsure who touched it last" and "held ball" are not the same thing, even though both use the arrow to determine possession.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2023, 03:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Used To Be Settled By A Jump Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
"unsure who touched it last" and "held ball" are not the same thing, even though both use the arrow to determine possession.
Agree.

7-3-1: If the ball goes out of bounds and was last touched simultaneously by two opponents, both of whom are inbounds or out of bounds, or if the official is in doubt as to who last touched the ball or if the officials disagree, play must be resumed by the team entitled to the alternating-possession throw-in at the spot out of bounds nearest to where the simultaneous violation occurred.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Tue Oct 31, 2023, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes correct, thought process not well today
Old Tue Oct 31, 2023, 03:53pm
Esteemed Forum Member

AP Signal ???

Quote:
So we're using the jump/held ball signal even though it's neither a jump ball, nor is it a held ball.

In this case we first stop the clock with an open hand (for out of bounds), and then go to the jump/held ball signal, even though it's neither a jump ball, nor is it a held ball, but is an alternating possession situation.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 01, 2023 at 11:13am.
Old Tue Oct 31, 2023, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
So we're using the jump/held ball signal even though it's neither a jump ball, nor is it a held ball.

In this case we first stop the clock with an open hand (for out of bounds), and then go to the jump/held ball signal, even though it's neither a jump ball, nor is it a held ball, but is an alternating possession situation.

For a real held ball or a real jump ball, we go straight to the jump/held ball signal, skipping the open hand (for out of bounds) signal, and then either use the alternating possession arrow, or have a real jump ball.
You're likely not going straight to the held ball signal. Most cases you are stopping clock, conferring with partner(s), then signaling held ball. Also likely needing to explain things to the table and coaches ,put ball back in play and make sure the arrow gets switched after the throw-in ends.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2023, 08:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
For a real held ball or a real jump ball, we go straight to the jump/held ball signal, skipping the open hand (for out of bounds) signal, and then either use the alternating possession arrow, or have a real jump ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
You're likely not going straight to the held ball signal. Most cases you are stopping clock, conferring with partner(s), then signaling held ball. Also likely needing to explain things to the table and coaches ,put ball back in play and make sure the arrow gets switched after the throw-in ends.
Well, the mechanic now is to always stop the clock with an open hand or a closed fist. They got rid of the "held ball" signal as a stop clock mechanism. I do not like that and still cannot do it the way they want, but some of us still are struggling with the open fist first, then held ball signal. It used to be officials did not know how to go to the held ball signal, but they changed the mechanic that used to look indecisive to me and others.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 01, 2023, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

I like the new procedure especially when there's a double whistle similar to block/charge plays.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2023, 11:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fixed It ...

Quote:
You're likely not going straight to the held ball signal.
Quote:
Well, the mechanic now is to always stop the clock with an open hand or a closed fist. They got rid of the "held ball" signal as a stop clock mechanism.
Thanks guys, I screwed up my earlier post.

Actually viewed a recent IAABO video with a straight to the held ball signal that fooled me.

I fixed it.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 01, 2023 at 11:24am.
Old Wed Nov 01, 2023, 11:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Old Dog, New Tricks ...

Quote:
They got rid of the "held ball" signal as a stop clock mechanism. I do not like that and still cannot do it the way they want, but some of us still are struggling with the open fist first, then held ball signal.
Agree.

It only took me about a month (I thought that it would take longer) to get use to reporting fouls with two hands instead of one hand (and saying, "Twenty-one" instead of, "Two. One".

It's been a few years now since the change, but I'm still inconsistent with the new held ball/jump ball signal sequence.

Old Wed Nov 01, 2023, 11:22am
Esteemed Forum Member

Merit ...

Quote:
I like the new procedure especially when there's a double whistle similar to block/charge plays.
This has some merit to it.

Old Sat Nov 04, 2023, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

The consensus around here was that the change and the reason provided for the change made no sense. We stayed with the held ball signal.

Before, you actually knew if your partner across the court had a held-ball like you or some other call. If you both came up with held ball, you knew exactly where to go next.

Now, you have no idea. Does your partner have a held ball, a violation, or a timeout??? You don't know until you talk. At least with the held ball signal, you then could jump to the discussion of which came first.