The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 06:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Okay, all the quizzes have had me buried in the rules book, and I've got another question now.
I've always assumed the throw in spot on a BC violation, as well as a 10 second count violation, was at half court. However, after looking at the rules, the spot should be the point nearest the violation.
With a BC violation, the violation occurs when the player touches the ball in the BC, not when the ball crosses half court. Seems to me the spot could be under B's basket if A chases the ball all the way down before touching it.
Also, with a 10 second violation, the same could apply, if you consider the spot of violation to the where the ball is when the 10 second count is reached.
Is my new understanding correct? Or am I too tired for this right now?

snaqs
Old Fri Feb 07, 2003, 07:35pm
In Memoriam

Your new understanding is correct.You take the ball to the closest OOB spot to where the ball is when the violation occurs.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Okay, all the quizzes have had me buried in the rules book, and I've got another question now.
I've always assumed the throw in spot on a BC violation, as well as a 10 second count violation, was at half court. However, after looking at the rules, the spot should be the point nearest the violation.
With a BC violation, the violation occurs when the player touches the ball in the BC, not when the ball crosses half court. Seems to me the spot could be under B's basket if A chases the ball all the way down before touching it.
Also, with a 10 second violation, the same could apply, if you consider the spot of violation to the where the ball is when the 10 second count is reached.
Is my new understanding correct? Or am I too tired for this right now?
Good job! Isn't it great when the light goes on!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells

Had this exact play happen tonight in my game. My partner correctly put the ball in on the endline. One of the best partners that I have had all year.
Old Sat Feb 08, 2003, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Your right-not something many kids understand-in a young kids game i make sure i explain why they may have wanted to touch the ball earlier -ie. so the other team would not get it under their basket--most young kids think it is at half court
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 04:16am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Curious, do coaches ever get upset about the correct application of this? Not that it matters, just trying to prepare myself for the heat.

snaqs
Old Sun Feb 09, 2003, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

yes i have had few coaches upset--but when you explain the rule they seem to understand
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Cool I won't mind. . .

if you put it in play in the right spot. I'll be even happier if you share this info with a 5 refs who don't frequent this board
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

This is actually a good rule for players and coaches to know -- too often you see the player who knows he can't touch it without a violation watch the ball roll OOB down court, or move slowly towards it and touch it deep in the back court. The smart move is (usually) to touch it ASAP for location of the inbound play.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

All right, I get to agree with a coach

We've got a neighboring Association (Pool, in Montana) with whom I've tried to cordially explain this rule to. Saturday afternoon I was trying to enjoy my 13 year-old's ball game when a crew from that pool did it again. The visitors, while waiting for the home team to touch the ball, allowed the it to roll nearly to the base line. The crew brought the ball all the way back to the division line for the throw-in. Being the good parent I am, , I sat in the bleachers, bit my tounge and never said a word.

That is one thing we have incroperated into our pre-game board, one entire section on getting the ball to the proper throw-in spot, even if you have to switch sides of the court.

Great topic!

Blackhawk

[Edited by Blackhawk357 on Feb 11th, 2003 at 04:33 AM]
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

It seems to me that the throw in spot is missed often-if i undersatnd the "rules" a violation at the top of the key would cause a throw in under the basket--don't see this very often (diagram 3 page 21)
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by som44
It seems to me that the throw in spot is missed often-if i undersatnd the "rules" a violation at the top of the key would cause a throw in under the basket--don't see this very often (diagram 3 page 21)
Only if inside of the key.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 05:27am
Keeper of the HAMMER

If anything, I probably err on the side of going underneath too often.