The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 21, 2023, 08:26am
Esteemed Forum Member

Rare Exceptions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The OP said he couldn't see the basket and what's under the basket at the same time. If he has taken his eyes off the shooter towards the goal, there is no reason he can't see the rebounding action and the status of the ball simultaneously.
Agree.

My most recent post was a different situation with a possible foul on the three point shooter that ended with bodies on the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is silly to me to act like the lead never sees the ball go in the basket. You have to kind of be aware of other things and have an opinion about those things. That is different than ball watching the ball at the top of the key ...
Any general statement that the lead should always (opposite of never) be able to see if the ball goes in the basket, while generally true, may have some rare exceptions, which is exactly why we have a partner on our team.

Many of us have probably worked at least one one person game in our careers, and we know how difficult it can be to see everything (because we can't).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 21, 2023 at 09:02am.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2023, 10:31am
Do not give a damn!!

The time when it is probably harder to see the ball go in from the lead is a three-pointer in the corner and you have to watch the defender if there is one run at the shooter. You often have to stay with that play longer. Sometimes it is wide open. But either way, if you are wider as you should be, you can turn if there is no threat to the basket and rebounding area. The Trail should also be prepared to help in those situations as no one else might be watching. Again, get open looks and try to see the entire play. Rebounding under the basket can come from the Trail too. And honestly, there are times when as Trail I might be focused on the rebounding, I do not automatically see the ball go in. You have to do so much more in 2 person to cover plays than in 3 person.

Peace
Old Wed Jun 21, 2023, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
If lead is watching the ball go into the basket, who’s watching action under the basket?

The trail.

Plus, if the lead is positioned correctly by mirroring the ball (and this is a big reason why we mirror the ball), the lead will be able to see a lot more of the action towards the lane. If the lead doesn't mirror the ball, they have to turn their vision so far out to cover the 3-pointer, they lose sight of anything towards the lane. Instead, they see the shooter and what is behind them (spectators, bleachers, or a wall). If they move out to the 3-point line, they instead see the shooter and at least half of the court.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Jun 21, 2023 at 11:41am.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2023, 01:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Scorer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... there are times when as Trail I might be focused on the rebounding, I do not automatically see the ball go in.
Forty-plus years and only once did neither my partner nor I know if the ball went in, or not.

I was the trail, I called and reported the blocking foul (a train wreck with bodies on the floor in the lane), didn't signal a basket (I didn't see it go in), and stated two free throws. Fully expected the lead to take the call, but she swallowed her whistle and I had to come in to "save the day" (this train wreck needed a whistle).

Coach politely questioned me. I went to my lead rookie partner, who couldn't offer any help (the story of the game).

Went to the scorer, who confirmed that the ball went in the basket. Thank you scorer.

I had to cover two primary coverage areas for that entire game, mine and hers.

Same game, same partner, sounded her whistle and stated "incidental contact". Probably meant to say "inadvertent whistle".

Thank God I never saw her again after that game. According to her, she's a pretty good field hockey official. I find that hard to believe.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 23, 2023 at 09:07am.
Old Mon Jul 03, 2023, 05:21pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Can't speak for NFHS mechanics, but I agree with Zoochy 100% for IAABO mechanics.

"Reverse" is not true.

If the trail "marks" (three fingers) and signals ("touchdown") the made three point attempt, the lead does NOT mirror the made three point basket ("touchdown").

This all goes back over forty years, back when the trail signaled ALL successful baskets, two fingers for a field goal (no threes back then) and one finger for a free throw.

As the trail on successful free throws (one, last of two, last of three, one and one), I still find myself occasionally not only slowly and inconspicuously dropping my "chop" hand (no "chop" needed on successful free throws) but also conspicuously signalling one point with one finger.

Old habits die hard.

And we signaled FTs with one finger. No, not that finger, lol.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio