The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

High School mechanic

Who stops the clock with an Closed fist before you signal for a player control foul?? Or (like me) go directly to the block/charge call in an effor to better sell the call.

My association had a long discussion about this mechanic in an effort to avoid the "blarge".

Last edited by Reffing Hoosier; Wed Oct 22, 2008 at 12:50pm.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 12:31pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reffing Hoosier View Post
Who stops the clock with an open hand before you signal for a player control foul?? Or (like me) go directly to the block/charge call in an effor to better sell the call.

My association had a long discussion about this mechanic in an effort to avoid the "blarge".
Neither. Stop the clock with a fist. Make sure your partner isn't going to sell something opposite of what you have. Then give the PC or block signal.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Who stops the clock with an open hand before you signal for a player control foul?? Or (like me) go directly to the block/charge call in an effor to better sell the call.

Always stop the clock with a fist for a foul.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 12:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do or at least I try to do this every time. You need to do it to give yourself a second or two to realize someone else has a whistle too.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't mean open hand, I meant to say fist first then your block/charge signal. In our meeting, predominately, guys go directly to the block/charge mechanic without indicating a foul.

This will be a hard habit for me to break.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

But if it saves you even a single blarge, it'll be worth the effort.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 12:47pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Habitually, I went right to the block/charge. But I now use the fist. I think you'll be able to work it into your game easily.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Proper mechanics are important, so yes use the CLOSED FIST to stop clock, then give Player control/block mechanic!
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't mean open hand, I meant to say fist first then your block/charge signal. In our meeting, predominately, guys go directly to the block/charge mechanic without indicating a foul.

This will be a hard habit for me to break.
Any problem with BLARGES in your association??? This seems like it's asking for trouble!
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

The association president had a blarge last year, and he said the whole game went down hill from there. So I don't think there is a problem, but just a discussion topic.

While having this this discussion, I realized my mechanic has been wrong for some time.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I always use an open- or closed-hand to stop the clock. I believe it's an important signal to communicate with the timer. I know it has been discussed previously on this board that it isn't necessary on certain calls (ie jump-balls) but I do it because that's what I've been taught at camps. I pay those guys a lot of money to teach me good techniques so I am going to follow it. They also assign me games too

-Josh
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 01:17pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
The association president had a blarge last year, and he said the whole game went down hill from there. So I don't think there is a problem,
I see at least two problems. . .
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

They made a big deal this year at our rules meeting about "whistle blows, hand goes up". (Fist for foul, open hand for violation.) That's what stops the clock, then signal appropriately. This also helps avoid the blarge as it gives you that moment to make eye contact with your partner to (hopefully) avoid those types of calls.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 08:27pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
They made a big deal this year at our rules meeting about "whistle blows, hand goes up". (Fist for foul, open hand for violation.) That's what stops the clock, then signal appropriately. This also helps avoid the blarge as it gives you that moment to make eye contact with your partner to (hopefully) avoid those types of calls.
U.P. here the whistle stops the clock.
Good thing, too! Because some officials don't get those hands up high enough for the timer (or Partner) to see.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 08:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
Proper mechanics are important, so yes use the CLOSED FIST to stop clock, then give Player control/block mechanic!
Not trying to be argumentative, but WHY are they important? Saying it is cause someone says it is doesn't do much for me, really.

Most officials in our area simply point on out-of-bounds calls. Doesn't the whistle stop the clock?