The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 05, 2022, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

A good scorekeeper will keep track on a piece of paper. Write the five starters in a column. Cross them off when they leave and enter in the same row the new player. The last five listed are in the game. If there are multiple subs, it doesn't matter specifically who is in for whom. Just cross off the ones leaving and enter the ones entering.

I did that when I kept score and I know some who still do it. I know some don't. At higher level games you might have a stats person who is tracking this.

Other than at the end of the game when I know who leaves to be sure they sit and don't reenter before they can, I don't really care.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2022, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Who is the "you" that you speak of?
Anyone who cares, really.

I can't recall any time where I've seen anyone be super-strict about this, save for rules on max quarters for a player.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2022, 12:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

When The Ball Is Dead We Must Be Alive ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I would check the board, make sure the timer didn't make any changes to the scoreboard, and confirm with the scorer that what the timer has is correct.
I wouldn't.

In a perfect world, sure, even if it's not dictated by any mechanic, or by any rule language under Rule 2 Officials And Their Duties.

But I don't officiate in a perfect world.

I've only got one minute (or maybe thirty seconds) for me and my partner to get ready to go in the right direction (and right team) on the throwin subsequent to the intermission or timeout (or who is shooting free throws subsequent to the timeout and how many), check the scoreboard for "important" stuff like how many team fouls on both teams (or the time remaining after a timeout), beckon in any substitutes who "elect" to report, and possibly have a tête-à-tête with my partner regarding anything important or unusual occurring, or about to occur, in the game.

If it was a timeout, we also need some time to properly report the timeout to the table, and possibly notify head coaches when their team has been granted its final timeout. And if it's near the end of the game, we may wish to check with the table to make sure everything is in proper order.

In addition we may have to "dig" players out of the huddles after the warning horn sounds, while also keeping a watchful eye out for substitutes that report too late.

I'm getting tired just writing about our many timeout and intermission responsibilities. No way will I have the time to look for little lights on the scoreboard to decipher who will be "different" after the timeout or intermission and to ask the scorer if they reported. No way in Hell.

If ilyazhito can do that, to paraphrase Cary Grant in the movie Gunga Din, he's "a better official than I am".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Dec 06, 2022 at 05:59pm.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2022, 12:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
A good scorekeeper will keep track on a piece of paper. Write the five starters in a column. Cross them off when they leave and enter in the same row the new player. The last five listed are in the game. If there are multiple subs, it doesn't matter specifically who is in for whom. Just cross off the ones leaving and enter the ones entering. I did that when I kept score and I know some who still do it. I know some don't. At higher level games you might have a stats person who is tracking this. Other than at the end of the game when I know who leaves to be sure they sit and don't reenter before they can, I don't really care.
Agree with bob jenkins that it, indeed, can be done.

But how often does even a "good" scorekeeper do this in an interscholastic (high school or middle school) game?

I may be wrong, but I'm guessing not often.

As I've already stated. Over forty-plus years, in literally thousands of such situations, I've never had a scorer tell me, subsequent to an intermission or a timeout, "He didn't report".

Never ever.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 05, 2022 at 01:15pm.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2022, 01:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Like A Sore Thumb ...

Little lights on a scoreboard?

Fuhgeddaboudit!

Too bad figuring out who didn't report wasn't as easy as this:

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 05, 2022 at 02:18pm.
Old Mon Dec 05, 2022, 02:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Long Arm Of the Law ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In addition we may have to "dig" players out of the huddles after the warning horn sounds, while also keeping a watchful eye out for substitutes that report too late.
We've got a great local timer who, immediately after sounding the fifteen second warning horn, yells extremely loudly, "FIRST HORN. NO MORE SUBS".

I love this guy.

Ain't nobody going nowhere near that table to report after that.

Of course, his authoritarian announcement won't keep substitutes, who haven't already reported, from "sneaking" out onto the court with their teammates.

Unless, of course, ilyazhito is standing there saying, "Gotcha".

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 05, 2022 at 03:23pm.