The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 18, 2018, 06:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

2018-19 IAABO Mechanics ...

Note: For IAABO members only.

We had our local IAABO board "interpretation meeting" (first meeting of the season) last night, with our local interpreter going over the new NFHS rules, the NFHS Points of Emphasis, reviewing last year's new NFHS rules, and briefly going over Connecticut's interscholastic sports governing body's points of emphasis.

He then mentioned that there were a few changes in the IAABO mechanics manual, but didn't go into the details stating that he would review them at our next meeting in late November.

Being a curious person, I spent about an hour perusing the IAABO mechanics manual last night, and I couldn't find any apparent changes.

Is anybody aware of these IAABO mechanics changes? Is so, what are they?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Connecticut will be enforcing the NFHS edict against players rolling their waistbands. Just what we need, another Fashion Police issue that coaches, players, and many officials will ignore.

Connecticut's interscholastic sports governing body reiterated that health care professionals (team doctors, trainers, etc.) and coaches (who have all been trained by state law), will determine whether, or not, players have been concussed, and that officials (who have not been trained to the extent of health care professionals, and coaches) are never to use the term "concussion" in describing an injury to a coach.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 18, 2018 at 08:55am.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2018, 10:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Note: For IAABO members only.

We had our local IAABO board "interpretation meeting" (first meeting of the season) last night, with our local interpreter going over the new NFHS rules, the NFHS Points of Emphasis, reviewing last year's new NFHS rules, and briefly going over Connecticut's interscholastic sports governing body's points of emphasis.

He then mentioned that there were a few changes in the IAABO mechanics manual, but didn't go into the details stating that he would review them at our next meeting in late November.

Being a curious person, I spent about an hour perusing the IAABO mechanics manual last night, and I couldn't find any apparent changes.

Is anybody aware of these IAABO mechanics changes? Is so, what are they?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Connecticut will be enforcing the NFHS edict against players rolling their waistbands. Just what we need, another Fashion Police issue that coaches, players, and many officials will ignore.

Connecticut's interscholastic sports governing body reiterated that health care professionals (team doctors, trainers, etc.) and coaches (who have all been trained by state law), will determine whether, or not, players have been concussed, and that officials (who have not been trained to the extent of health care professionals, and coaches) are never to use the term "concussion" in describing an injury to a coach.
Frankly, not using the word "concussion" is just smart no matter where you live. It's been made clear that we simply have the right person "check #54" and we're out of it. If #54 comes back into the game, we're to assume that he's been cleared -- this is on the team and the HCP.

If we see signs or symptoms again, we send the kid to the HCP the same way.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2018, 10:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut Concussions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Frankly, not using the word "concussion" is just smart no matter where you live. It's been made clear that we simply have the right person "check #54" and we're out of it. If #54 comes back into the game, we're to assume that he's been cleared -- this is on the team and the HCP.
This is exactly what we've been instructed by Connecticut State IAABO and the Connecticut interscholastic sports governing body.

Of course, Connecticut may be different than many states in that coaches are mandated by state law to get periodic concussion training, and the State legislature specifically decided that officials (officials were in attendance at the public hearings) were not fully trained in concussions and should not take part in any diagnose of such, only those trained (health care professionals and coaches) would make such diagnoses.

The Power Point slide that we viewed last night on Connecticut's interscholastic sports governing body's points of emphasis was very specific in regard to concussions: Observe. Advise. Never to use the term "concussion" in describing an injury to a coach.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Oct 18, 2018, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Haven't seen any major changes in the IAABO manual since last year, when the IAABO books published for US boards included a section on tableside switching for both 2- and 3-person crews in addition to the traditional opposite side switches in the Crew of 2 and Crew of 3 sections. Even Al Battista did not mention any changes, although he did use the most recent MD rules interpretation session to discuss travels and proper coverage of screening (In a 3P game, T has ballhandler and C has the screener/screener's defender on high ball screens. On elbow screens near the free throw line extended, T has the ballhandler and his defender, and L has the screener and his defender. If it is on C's side, L can move ballside to assist on screening action, with C handling the ballhandler and his defender. For a 2P game, Lead has screener/screener's defender, and T has the ballhandler with his defender).
Old Fri Oct 19, 2018, 05:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Screens ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
... proper coverage of screening (In a 3P game, T has ballhandler and C has the screener/screener's defender on high ball screens. On elbow screens near the free throw line extended, T has the ballhandler and his defender, and L has the screener and his defender. If it is on C's side, L can move ballside to assist on screening action, with C handling the ballhandler and his defender. For a 2P game, Lead has screener/screener's defender, and T has the ballhandler with his defender).
This may be the change my interpreter was referring to, he specifically said the changes were in both the Crew of Two and Crew of Three Mechanics Manual.

Old Fri Oct 19, 2018, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Come to think of that, I did see diagrams about screening coverage in the IAABO manual. It's interesting that the Referee illustrated manual and the CCA Men's manual also have screen coverage, but nothing similar exists in the NFHS manual yet.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 12:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Screening (IAABO Manual) ...

Quote:
... proper coverage of screening (In a 3P game, T has ballhandler and C has the screener/screener's defender on high ball screens. On elbow screens near the free throw line extended, T has the ballhandler and his defender, and L has the screener and his defender. If it is on C's side, L can move ballside to assist on screening action, with C handling the ballhandler and his defender. For a 2P game, Lead has screener/screener's defender, and T has the ballhandler with his defender).
Quote:
Come to think of that, I did see diagrams about screening coverage in the IAABO manual. It's interesting that the Referee illustrated manual and the CCA Men's manual also have screen coverage, but nothing similar exists in the NFHS manual yet.
2018-2019 IAABO Crew of Three Significant Manual Revisions

Screening - above three point arc. Screening has become more prevalent in high school basketball as coaches copy and teach what they see at the collegiate level. There are many more ball screens in today’s offenses, both above the three point arc and at the elbow near or below the free throw line. Because these plays involve multiple players including a primary matchup on the ball handler, in many cases it is very difficult if not impossible for one official to adequately cover and rule on the play. This type of play often is referred to as a “two-official” play where coverage mechanics requires two officials to have responsibility in what is normally not a dual coverage area. Trail Official A. Primary responsibility for the ball handler and the ball handler’s primary defender. B. Secondary responsibility for the screener and the screener’s defender. C. Adjust his/her position to obtain and maintain an open look at all four players involved. Center Official A. Primary responsibility for the screener and the screener’s defender. B. Secondary responsibility for the ball, ball handler and the ball handler’s defender. C. Observe for any illegal contact by the screener’s defender (Freedom of Movement). D. Observe the legality of any screens. E. Adjust his/her position to obtain and maintain an open look at all four players involved. Lead Official A. A. Primary responsibility for any post play. B. Expand PCA to include any competitive matchups not covered by the center official.

Screening -At Elbow. There are primarily two types of screens at the elbow. One involves the ball handler setting the screen and the other involves a teammate setting the screen for the ball handler. Trail Official A. Primary responsibility for ball, ball handler and ball handler’s defender. a. If the ball handler is the screener, observe the legality of the screen by the ball handler. i. Stationary, time and distance. ii. Do not allow the ball handler to move into an opponent after handing the ball off or passing the ball to a teammate. B. Secondary responsibility for the screener and the screener’s defender. C. Adjust his/her position to obtain and maintain an open look at all four players involved. Lead Official A. Must be ball side. B. Primary responsibility for the screener and the screener’s defender. C. Observe for any illegal contact by the screener’s defender (Freedom of Movement). D. Observe the legality of any screens set. E. Adjust his/her position to obtain and maintain an open look at the screener and the screener’s defender. Center Official A. Expands PCA to cover any competitive matchups in the free throw lane. B. If there are no competitive matchups in the free throw lane, may assist with screening action. C. Maintains coverage of off ball plays in his/her PCA.