The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Free throw delay

2nd of a pair of free throws. A3 is the shooter. B1 and B2 switch places on the bottom spot, and consequently A1 and A2 switch places, so B1 and B2 go back to their original location and B1 and B2 follow.........

At what point to you stop the game playing and what do you tell them?
Old Fri Dec 18, 2009, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
2nd of a pair of free throws. A3 is the shooter. B1 and B2 switch places on the bottom spot, and consequently A1 and A2 switch places, so B1 and B2 go back to their original location and B1 and B2 follow.........

Use the search function. We've discussed this before.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Use the search function. We've discussed this before.
I won't let them change more than once.

BTW, Nevada, why do you have to be a smart alec? Either answer the legitimate question or ignore it. People ask legitimate questions because they come here for help. Maybe this person never saw the post to which you are referring.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Why do you have to take my response for something other than it is?
I simply directed the poster to use the search function for a previous thread on this as I know that we have discussed it before.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Does the shooter have the ball ready to take it?

If so, here's my answer:

I don't have my rulebook in front of me, but I'll try to explain it how I remember:

If an opposing player does a lane violation, you have a delayed lane violation. Any other infractions in the lane (any of the other 5 players or less occupying a lane space) is ignored.

Now, if A1 is shooting, and B1 in the lane steps in. You still have a delayed lane violation. But if the shooter or a teammate behind the shooter violates by stepping over the foul lane (shooter) or 3-point lane (teammates), then ball is dead for a double violation.

Any time any of the teammates of the shooter, or the shooter him/herself violates, ball is immediately dead.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

continuing with previous post...

If the ball is not in the shooter's hand, I would allow them to switch only once. At that point I would tell them stay where they are.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:08pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
Does the shooter have the ball ready to take it?

If so, here's my answer:

I don't have my rulebook in front of me, but I'll try to explain it how I remember:

If an opposing player does a lane violation, you have a delayed lane violation. Any other infractions in the lane (any of the other 5 players or less occupying a lane space) is ignored.

Now, if A1 is shooting, and B1 in the lane steps in. You still have a delayed lane violation. But if the shooter or a teammate behind the shooter violates by stepping over the foul lane (shooter) or 3-point lane (teammates), then ball is dead for a double violation.

Any time any of the teammates of the shooter, or the shooter him/herself violates, ball is immediately dead.
The OP is refering to before the ball is at the disposal of the shooter.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
The OP is refering to before the ball is at the disposal of the shooter.
ok, thanks. I made a second reply to the OP regarding that matter.
Old Sun Dec 20, 2009, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Clark,
I confess to not remembering the precise posts over the past few years that Nevadaref referred to in his post. My rule is simple.

I will allow the defensive team to make the final decision. If the offensive team wishes to move, then I will allow the defense to counter. If the defense switches that will end it.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Clark,
I confess to not remembering the precise posts over the past few years that Nevadaref referred to in his post. My rule is simple.

I will allow the defensive team to make the final decision. If the offensive team wishes to move, then I will allow the defense to counter. If the defense switches that will end it.
Thanks.....I like knowing how others handle it.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
continuing with previous post...

If the ball is not in the shooter's hand, I would allow them to switch only once. At that point I would tell them stay where they are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
Clark,

Got any rules support for that?
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Nevadaref,
No, I sure don't. From a common sense point of view (I know that has no place in most situations), the defense has the opportunity to determine match-ups. The offense can't dictate that the defense switch match-ups (which, is essence, is what would be allowed if the offense were permitted to change sides and the defense was not).

Therefore, my answer is 100% based on common sense -- as a coach, as a player and as a referee.

I have not seen a specific case play that would override this logic. The reason I do not allow constant exchanging to continue as the game would never end, in theory.
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's been discussed before. Look it up.

For the rest of you -- afaik, there's no guidance in the rules for this. So, you can let the defense choose, let the offense choose, use rock-paper-scissors, quickly bounce the ball to the thrower so both teams violate and you can move on, stand there and let the game develop into an actionless contest and assess double Ts, etc.

For me, I let the defense choose first. :shrug:
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 09:08am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Emily Litella......

I thought the ambidextrous pitcher had to declare before the switch-hitter?

Oops, wrong sport. Never mind!
Old Mon Dec 21, 2009, 12:31pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I thought the ambidextrous pitcher had to declare before the switch-hitter?

Oops, wrong sport. Never mind!
Myth... oh, wait... day or night game? Ahh, nevermind.