The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 15, 2022, 12:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

2022-23 NFHS Shot Clock Guidelines State Association Adoption ...

Just spotted this on the NFHS basketball website, it may have been there since August 4, 2022.

2022-23 NFHS Shot Clock Guidelines State Association Adoption

Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count (9-8). The 10-second count shall begin when the ball touches, or is legally touched by, a player on the court, in the backcourt on a throw-in or on player control on a rebound or jump ball.

The NFHS still hasn’t reconciled the shot clock guideline with the actual rule.

9-8: A player must not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of the ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds.

It’s one thing for the NFHS to leave the reconciliation up to individual states, but to just ignore the disconnect and not even broach it is very disappointing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Aug 15, 2022, 01:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

If it is a state-adopted rule, then what needs to be reconciled? You only have to worry about it if your state says they are using it. At this moment, neither of my states have even said they would use the shot clock.

This is listed for the shot clock if adopted. If you are not using the shot clock there is nothing to worry about.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 15, 2022, 01:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Consistency ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If it is a state-adopted rule, then what needs to be reconciled? You only have to worry about it if your state says they are using it.
I understand JRutledge's view to allow all of this to be an individual state decision.

But it would be nice if the NFHS could broach the disconnect for what "should" or "could" happen within each shot clock adopting state regarding:

- subvarsity (junior varsity, freshman, middle school) games where a shot clock may not be used by state decision.

- games where a shot clock is supposed to be used but, due to a malfunction, doesn't work, and isn't used for an entire game.

- less than 35 seconds left in the period in a shot clock game when shot clock is turned off.

The NFHS gives us this:

The official shall use a silent, visible 10 second count when there is no shot clock visible.

High school basketball would be best served nationally if the NFHS would either change the ten second rule, or the shot clock guideline, so that they "match", pick either touch, or control, and make it a consistent law of the land for both shot clock games and non-shot clock games, interlevel, intrastate, or interstate.

I believe that the NCAA has done this, going with touch. Why not the same in high school?

At absolute minimum, the NFHS should publicly recognize that that a disconnect does exist and that states that adopt a shot clock need to decide for themselves what they want to do regarding the three situations above.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 15, 2022 at 02:55pm.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2022, 03:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Full Text ...

https://www.nfhs.org/media/5989150/2...guidelines.pdf

Old Mon Aug 15, 2022, 04:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I understand JRutledge's view to allow all of this to be an individual state decision.

But it would be nice if the NFHS could broach the disconnect for what "should" or "could" happen within each shot clock adopting state regarding:

- subvarsity (junior varsity, freshman, middle school) games where a shot clock may not be used by state decision.

- games where a shot clock is supposed to be used but, due to a malfunction, doesn't work, and isn't used for an entire game.

- less than 35 seconds left in the period in a shot clock game when shot clock is turned off.

The NFHS gives us this:

The official shall use a silent, visible 10 second count when there is no shot clock visible.

High school basketball would be best served nationally if the NFHS would either change the ten second rule, or the shot clock guideline, so that they "match", pick either touch, or control, and make it a consistent law of the land for both shot clock games and non-shot clock games, interlevel, intrastate, or interstate.

I believe that the NCAA has done this, going with touch. Why not the same in high school?

At absolute minimum, the NFHS should publicly recognize that that a disconnect does exist and that states that adopt a shot clock need to decide for themselves what they want to do regarding the three situations above.
In every shot clock game that had a malfunction with the shot clock (and extremely rare), we did not play without the issue being resolved. So I would doubt it would be any different than if the clock went out and could not be restored, you might not play the game anymore. Those things just do not "go out." So your concern to me is kind of overreaching if you think that is going to be a common occurrence. Not trying to disagree with you that more information would be nice, but since this is only about what happens with a shot clock not seeing the big deal right now. Most people will only work in one state where they have a shot clock or they will not in other cases. And if that is such an issue, your state representatives can make that clear.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 15, 2022, 04:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

More Information ...

Quote:
Not trying to disagree with you that more information would be nice, but since this is only about what happens with a shot clock not seeing the big deal right now. Most people will only work in one state where they have a shot clock or they will not in other cases. And if that is such an issue, your state representatives can make that clear.
Like JRutledge, I would also like "more information" from the NFHS, but it's been two years and "not a peep", so I'm not "holding my breath".

I only hope that individual state "representatives" figure out in advance that there's a disconnect and address it themselves.

For example an individual shot clock state may decide to go with "touch" in varsity games with a shot clock, but go with "control" for a freshman or middle school games where the state decides not to use shot clocks.

Another individual shot clock state may decide to go with "touch" for all games, at all levels, with, or without shot clocks.

Of course the states that don't use any shot clocks will still have to go with "control".

Stupid NFHS.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 15, 2022 at 05:53pm.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2022, 05:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I've Got A Dog In This Fight ...

Quote:
I only hope that individual state "representatives" figure out in advance that there's a disconnect and address it themselves.
My lack of confidence in individual states to "handle" things is due to what's been going on here in Connecticut.

Connecticut public and Catholic schools all use 100% NFHS rules, with no shot clocks.

Connecticut private prep schools use a wacky hybrid version of NFHS and NCAA rules, including a shot clock (and other rules), and we're advised (recently) to use the shot clock for the ten second count (no visible count), but we use the NFHS ten second rule (control).

How can we use the ten second rule shot clock "mechanics" if we don't use the NCAA ten second rule (touch)?

I have yet to have anyone in authority, from the officials side, or the prep school side, answer that question.

I've had private prep schools shot clock timekeepers start the shot clock during the dead ball period after a basket, probably instructed to so by their coach or athletic director. Shows how little private prep school coaches and athletics directors care about shot clock rules.

I've had fans and coaches yell "ten seconds" based on only the shot clock, not understanding the rule differences.

Nobody cares, and nobody will care care until the rule disconnect creates a controversy at the end of an important game. Hasn't happened yet, but only for the grace of God.

Instead of being proactive, were going to be reactive. Not a good place to be.

And that's why I'm such a big worrier, worrywart, and fuss-budget about this topic.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 16, 2022 at 12:27pm.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2022, 12:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Like JRutledge, I would also like "more information" from the NFHS, but it's been two years and "not a peep", so I'm not "holding my breath".

For example an individual shot clock state may decide to go with "touch" in varsity games with a shot clock, but go with "control" for a freshman or middle school games where the state decides not to use shot clocks.

Another individual shot clock state may decide to go with "touch" for all games, at all levels, with, or without shot clocks.

Of course the states that don't use any shot clocks will still have to go with "control".

Stupid NFHS.
They said what the rule was for the shot clock application. If you do not have a shot clock, you use the rule that is already stated in the book. KISS!!!!

Peace
Old Tue Aug 16, 2022, 09:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Keep It Simple ...

Quote:
They said what the rule was for the shot clock application. If you do not have a shot clock, you use the rule that is already stated in the book. KISS!!!!
JRutledge: Did you have to put the second "S" in there?

Great post. Sounds very logical and reasonable.

Would still like to hear that from my local and/or state interpreter (trainers) if we ever decide to go with a shot clock in Connecticut (not a big shot clock push yet from Connecticut scholastic basketball stake holders). Hopefully it will be handled better than our recent Connecticut private prep school shot clock ten second fiasco (see above post).

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 16, 2022 at 09:21am.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2022, 09:20am
Esteemed Forum Member

States' Rights (Tenth Amendment) ...

Quote:
They said what the rule was for the shot clock application. If you do not have a shot clock, you use the rule that is already stated in the book.
What "they said" and what trickles down to each individual shot clock state may not be exactly the same. Remember, the NFHS shot clock guidelines are only "recommended guidelines" that may vary from one shot clock state to another. It appears that the NFHS has given a lot of power to each individual state to set up their own shot clock rules (which could include the ten second rule).

Old Tue Aug 16, 2022, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Kiss

Here's my first "BillyMac" post:

KISS, an acronym for keep it simple stupid, is a design principle noted by the U.S. Navy in 1960.[1][2] The KISS principle states that most systems work best if they are kept simple rather than made complicated; therefore, simplicity should be a key goal in design, and unnecessary complexity should be avoided. The phrase has been associated with aircraft engineer Kelly Johnson.[3] The term "KISS principle" was in popular use by 1970.[4] Variations on the phrase include: "Keep it simple, silly", "keep it short and simple", "keep it short and sweet", "keep it simple and straightforward",[5] "keep it small and simple", "keep it simple, soldier",[6] "keep it simple, sailor", or "keep it sweet and simple".
Old Tue Aug 16, 2022, 11:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Occam's Razor ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcubed48 View Post
KISS, an acronym for keep it simple stupid ... Variations on the phrase include: "Keep it simple, silly", "keep it short and simple", "keep it short and sweet", "keep it simple and straightforward", "keep it small and simple" ... or "keep it sweet and simple".
Thanks Lcubed48. I didn't think that JRutledge would call me "stupid".

As a scientist, I prefer Occam's Razor, the problem-solving principle that "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity", in other words, with competing explanations, the simpler one is preferred.

Old Tue Aug 16, 2022, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just spotted this on the NFHS basketball website, it may have been there since August 4, 2022.

Use the shot clock to administer the 10-second backcourt count (9-8). The 10-second count shall begin when the ball touches, or is legally touched by, a player on the court, in the backcourt on a throw-in or on player control on a rebound or jump ball.

The NFHS still hasn’t reconciled the shot clock guideline with the actual rule.

9-8: A player must not be, nor may his/her team be, in continuous control of the ball which is in his/her backcourt for 10 seconds.

It’s one thing for the NFHS to leave the reconciliation up to individual states, but to just ignore the disconnect and not even broach it is very disappointing.
NCAA rules (men's and women's) interpret team control in this situation as beginning with the throw-in, so a touch inbounds by either team does not change team control. The legal touch inbounds is important because it starts the game (if previously stopped) and shot clocks.

I agree, but then NFHS editing is not the best. They constantly screw up on rules tests by making questions with no correct answer, or else the wrong answer marked as correct, and the rulebooks often feature editorial errors. This is not surprising.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2022, 12:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Simplest Solution ...

Quote:
Occam's Razor, the problem-solving principle that "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity", in other words, with competing explanations, the simpler one is preferred.
In my warped mind, this (below) is the simplest solution:

Quote:

Old Tue Aug 16, 2022, 01:05pm
Administrator

Quote:

Peace
Quote:
JRutledge: Did you have to put the second "S" in there?

Great post. Sounds very logical and reasonable.

Would still like to hear that from my local and/or state interpreter (trainers) if we ever decide to go with a shot clock in Connecticut (not a big shot clock push yet from Connecticut scholastic basketball stake holders). Hopefully it will be handled better than our recent Connecticut private prep school shot clock ten second fiasco (see above post).

The mantra of Structural Design Engineers: Keep It Simple!! Stupid!!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio