View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 15, 2022, 05:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I've Got A Dog In This Fight ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I only hope that individual state "representatives" figure out in advance that there's a disconnect and address it themselves.
My lack of confidence in individual states to "handle" things is due to what's been going on here in Connecticut.

Connecticut public and Catholic schools all use 100% NFHS rules, with no shot clocks.

Connecticut private prep schools use a wacky hybrid version of NFHS and NCAA rules, including a shot clock (and other rules), and we're advised (recently) to use the shot clock for the ten second count (no visible count), but we use the NFHS ten second rule (control).

How can we use the ten second rule shot clock "mechanics" if we don't use the NCAA ten second rule (touch)?

I have yet to have anyone in authority, from the officials side, or the prep school side, answer that question.

I've had private prep schools shot clock timekeepers start the shot clock during the dead ball period after a basket, probably instructed to so by their coach or athletic director. Shows how little private prep school coaches and athletics directors care about shot clock rules.

I've had fans and coaches yell "ten seconds" based on only the shot clock, not understanding the rule differences.

Nobody cares, and nobody will care care until the rule disconnect creates a controversy at the end of an important game. Hasn't happened yet, but only for the grace of God.

Instead of being proactive, were going to be reactive. Not a good place to be.

And that's why I'm such a big worrier, worrywart, and fuss-budget about this topic.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 16, 2022 at 12:27pm.