View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 15, 2022, 04:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I understand JRutledge's view to allow all of this to be an individual state decision.

But it would be nice if the NFHS could broach the disconnect for what "should" or "could" happen within each shot clock adopting state regarding:

- subvarsity (junior varsity, freshman, middle school) games where a shot clock may not be used by state decision.

- games where a shot clock is supposed to be used but, due to a malfunction, doesn't work, and isn't used for an entire game.

- less than 35 seconds left in the period in a shot clock game when shot clock is turned off.

The NFHS gives us this:

The official shall use a silent, visible 10 second count when there is no shot clock visible.

High school basketball would be best served nationally if the NFHS would either change the ten second rule, or the shot clock guideline, so that they "match", pick either touch, or control, and make it a consistent law of the land for both shot clock games and non-shot clock games, interlevel, intrastate, or interstate.

I believe that the NCAA has done this, going with touch. Why not the same in high school?

At absolute minimum, the NFHS should publicly recognize that that a disconnect does exist and that states that adopt a shot clock need to decide for themselves what they want to do regarding the three situations above.
In every shot clock game that had a malfunction with the shot clock (and extremely rare), we did not play without the issue being resolved. So I would doubt it would be any different than if the clock went out and could not be restored, you might not play the game anymore. Those things just do not "go out." So your concern to me is kind of overreaching if you think that is going to be a common occurrence. Not trying to disagree with you that more information would be nice, but since this is only about what happens with a shot clock not seeing the big deal right now. Most people will only work in one state where they have a shot clock or they will not in other cases. And if that is such an issue, your state representatives can make that clear.

Peace