View Single Post
Old Mon Aug 15, 2022, 01:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Consistency ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If it is a state-adopted rule, then what needs to be reconciled? You only have to worry about it if your state says they are using it.
I understand JRutledge's view to allow all of this to be an individual state decision.

But it would be nice if the NFHS could broach the disconnect for what "should" or "could" happen within each shot clock adopting state regarding:

- subvarsity (junior varsity, freshman, middle school) games where a shot clock may not be used by state decision.

- games where a shot clock is supposed to be used but, due to a malfunction, doesn't work, and isn't used for an entire game.

- less than 35 seconds left in the period in a shot clock game when shot clock is turned off.

The NFHS gives us this:

The official shall use a silent, visible 10 second count when there is no shot clock visible.

High school basketball would be best served nationally if the NFHS would either change the ten second rule, or the shot clock guideline, so that they "match", pick either touch, or control, and make it a consistent law of the land for both shot clock games and non-shot clock games, interlevel, intrastate, or interstate.

I believe that the NCAA has done this, going with touch. Why not the same in high school?

At absolute minimum, the NFHS should publicly recognize that that a disconnect does exist and that states that adopt a shot clock need to decide for themselves what they want to do regarding the three situations above.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 15, 2022 at 02:55pm.