The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 29, 2022, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting. Yes, the timers will have to be reset and everyone will have to be brought back to the circle. However, it happens anyway when the tossed ball is not touched. I've never been on TV, so I don't know if TV officials think it's not worth the time taken.

Back to the OP, congratulations and good luck to the Final Four officials.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2022, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Interesting. Yes, the timers will have to be reset and everyone will have to be brought back to the circle.

More costs than that -- and it has almost nothing to do with "being on TV" specifically
Old Tue Mar 29, 2022, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Embarrass The Tosser ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That the benefit of calling it back is outweighed by the cost of calling it back, unless it's egregious.
Agree. Calling a toss back will only draw added attention to a less than perfect toss and might embarrass the tosser. Been in this situation several times as the non-tosser. Usually seems best to just play on, seldom getting complaints from players, coaches, or fans.

If I'm good friends with my partner, at halftime, I might say, "That wasn't the best toss". Seldom get partners asking why I didn't call the toss back, usually just get, "Yes, it wasn't my best toss". Really good friends might reply sarcastically, "Well then, why didn't you call it back?", which starts the ball busting and chain yanking, and after a few laughs, we get on to more serious issues to work on in the second half.

The rare times that I do call it (egregious) back, I will often apologize to my partner, "Sorry I had to call your toss back, it was real bad", to which I will often get a reply, "Yeah, it was pretty pathetic. Thanks".

It's a fine line ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
...some have described jump balls as microbursts of mayhem.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 29, 2022 at 01:32pm.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2022, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why not? A bad toss is a bad way to start the game.

If the referee is not confident in his toss, he can let either umpire handle it. That might avoid the need to call back tosses in the first place.
Actually the D3 National Coordinator insisted that the everyone adhere to their positions as there were many people whom he didn't know when he watched them in person or on film. This way he could tell who was whom based on the information he received from that coordinator.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2022, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Interesting. This means that the Referee assigned in Arbiter always tossed the ball during the D3 National Tournament. Hopefully all the tosses went off without any hitches.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2022, 11:43am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Interesting. This means that the Referee assigned in Arbiter always tossed the ball during the D3 National Tournament. Hopefully all the tosses went off without any hitches.
Not necessarily. Jim Haney's comments were mostly about who is assigned the games during the season and he does not know everyone. I am sure if he assigned a game in the D3 tournament, he is likely aware of who he assigned on some level. And this was said a few years ago. I believe he has access to more information, But if you are U2 and you toss the ball, then he might think the R is the person that tossed the ball.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 30, 2022, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

I don't know why MultipleSports brought this up, then. Another digression within a digression.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2022, 11:55am
Esteemed Forum Member

Starting Periods ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... if you are U2 and you toss the ball, then he might think the R is the person that tossed the ball.
Is college like high school, where the referee, and only the referee, puts the ball at the disposal of the inbounder to start the second, third, and fourth periods (or the second half for college men)?

Also, based on the context in the above posts, I'm assuming that in college, like in high school, the referee has the option of assigning the jump ball toss to one of the umpire(s).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 30, 2022 at 12:55pm.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2022, 12:59pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Is college like high school, where the referee, and only the referee, puts the ball at the disposal of the inbounder to start the second, third, and fourth periods (or the second half for college men)?

Also, based on the context in the above posts, I'm assuming that in college, like in high school, the referee has the option of assigning the jump ball toss to one of the umpire(s).
That's not an absolute in college or HS.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2022, 01:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

High School ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
That's not an absolute in ... HS.
NFHS 2-5-2: The referee must: Administer the alternating-possession throw-in to start the second, third and fourth quarters.

Raymond may be referring to something less than usual, like technical foul free throws, and the ball at the division line, to start a period (which would not be an alternating possession throwin), thus not an absolute?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 30, 2022 at 01:12pm.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2022, 01:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
NFHS 2-5-2: The referee must: Administer the alternating-possession throw-in to start the second, third and fourth quarters.

Raymond may be referring to something less than usual, like technical foul free throws, and the ball at the division line, to start a period (which would not be an alternating possession throwin), thus not an absolute?
I thought we broke you of the habit of speaking for others.

I've done plenty of games in college and HS where the referee did not administer throw-ins at the beginning of periods.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2022, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Contrarian ...

Quote:
I thought we broke you of the habit of speaking for others.
Sometimes I'm forced to do that (assume) when confronted with a cryptic, or incomplete post, leaving questions unanswered.

Quote:
I've done plenty of games in ... HS where the referee did not administer throw-ins at the beginning of periods.
Why not? Any other usually referee duties they did not do?

Quote:
I've done plenty of games in ... HS where the referee did not administer throw-ins at the beginning of periods.
I have too, contrary to the rule.

In almost all cases they were AAU, recreation, travel, middle school games, etc., not assigned by my high school commissioner, with very "relaxed" formalities. No pregame conference. No scorebook checking. No pregame coaches meeting.

In other cases (assigned by my high school commissioner), though I was assigned as the referee, I decided unilaterally (allowed by local custom and tradition) to allow inexperienced young officials (often rookies) to get some experience as a referee (lead a pregame conference, check scorebook, running pregame coaches/captains meeting, toss, and/or alternating possession starting period throwin administration.

Doing any of these tasks could possibly identify the referee, even if not assigned as such. Doing all of these pretty much identifies a referee, even if not assigned as such. "You be the referee tonight", not sure how official that is, may vary locally?

Also, until we (locally) started using Arbiter, and were assigned with paper and pencil through snail mail, umpires and referees were not assigned for any subvarsity games, it was decided when meeting at the site, usually based by seniority, or by who did what when partners last worked together, a somewhat fluid procedure.

But by rule, it's the referee who administers alternating possession throwins to "normally" begin periods, as well as initiate a pregame conference (by mechanics manual), check scorebook (implied by rule, also by mechanics manual), choosing tosser (rule), running pregame coaches meeting (rule), and a few other things (rules).

Don't follow all such rules and mechanics? No problem. When in Rome ...

Also, one probably needs to define referee on a local level. Is it one who is assigned to be the referee, or is it one who performs some, many, or all, the game duties usually associated with a referee? Some Forum members may have different definitions.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 01, 2022 at 09:56am.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2022, 05:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
FINAL FOUR -- NEW ORLEANS, LA

Saturday, 4/2/2022
(2) Villanova vs. (1) Kansas -- Keith Kimble, Doug Sirmons, James Breeding
(8) North Carolina vs. (2) Duke -- Roger Ayers, Bo Boroski, Tony Padilla

Monday, 4/4/2022
() vs. () -- Jeff Anderson, Ron Groover, Terry Oglesby

Final Four Alternates: Bert Smith and Joe Lindsay
I believe in the first Semifinal, Keith Kimble, Doug Sirmons, James Breeding worked the last Final Four with regular fans in 2019 with the Virginia-Auburn game.

Ironic and glad for those guys. And I have heard Keith reference that game as a clinician. Talked about many times how he he cannot talk about anyone's judgment after that particular game. Keith is a great dude and a person I learned a lot from.

Peace