The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 18, 2022, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Mechanics Question

Had this last night HS Varsity. 2 person, I'm the trail. Had a block/charge with the defender on the left side of the lane with the ball handler coming out of my area. We had a double whistle. My partner pointed at me to report so I went to the table with a block on the defense. Should the call come from me or my partner in this case?
Old Fri Feb 18, 2022, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

IT depends a bit on what's used in your area, but I *think* that in two-person the L has the entire lane. So, if the contact was in the lane, it's L's call.

That said, if it's close to the lane line and a primary defender, I'd give it to Trail.

And, of course, it can depend on who's had recent multiple foul calls in a row, or who wants to show the coaches that they are calling it the same at bothe ends, etc.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2022, 12:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Keep It Simple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
We had a double whistle. My partner pointed at me to report so I went to the table with a block on the defense.
Don't over-complicate this. He wants you to take it, so take it.

Don't "fight" about it.

Our local custom is to allow the lead to take calls like this, but whatever works, works.

Maybe he thought that your whistle beat his whistle by a split second, or that maybe you had a slightly better look than his look?

Just be grateful that it wasn't signaled as a "blarge".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 18, 2022 at 03:16pm.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2022, 01:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Suddenly Startled ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Our local custom is to allow the lead to take calls like this ...
Double whistle. Lead lets trail make the call, contrary to local custom.

Happens a few times every season. Can sometimes (rarely) create a problem for me when I'm the trail.

Expecting the lead to take the double whistle call, as is custom, I'm immediately observing players on the floor (if they're there), looking to see if the ball entered the basket, and looking to identify a shooter (on the chance that there are free throws to be attempted), so I'm often suddenly startled that I have to make the foul call, and have to quickly go back (rewind) in my memory to identify the fouler, color and number, and the type foul. Sounds easy, but sometimes (rarely) it's not (for me).
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 18, 2022 at 01:27pm.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2022, 01:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No, You Take It ...

Quote:
Expecting the lead to take the double whistle call, as is custom, I'm immediately observing players on the floor (if they're there), looking to see if the ball entered the basket, and looking to identify a shooter (on the chance that there are free throws to be attempted), so I'm often suddenly startled that I have to make the foul call, and have to quickly go back (rewind) in my memory to identify the fouler, color and number, and the type foul. Sounds easy, but sometimes (rarely) it's not (for me).
A few years ago, while partner and I were both playing, "No, you take it", we both failed to see if the ball did, or didn't, go in the basket. Table had to help us out (the ball entered the basket). I was the trail, so it was mostly, if not all, my fault.

Note: Worst partner ever. Same game, partner sounded whistle and called, "Incidental contact". For thirty-two minutes, my primary coverage area included ten players on the entire court.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 18, 2022 at 04:36pm.
Old Fri Feb 18, 2022, 03:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Partners ...

Quote:
Worst partner ...
... this season.

Two person game with a "loose" torn net on one end of court.

Two plays, I'm lead both times calling "in the act of shooting" fouls, keeping my eyes down as all good leads should do, watching for contact. I'm using only my peripheral vison (turns out poorly) to see if the ball goes in the basket (remember, a "loose" torn net).

First play. I signal good basket (my usual modus operandi is to really "bang" it in, mine is not a subtle signal), "Count it. One shot", at spot, proceed to reporting area, walk right past trail partner, "Count the basket. One shot". Table tells me ball didn't go in basket. Check with partner. Yep, ball didn't go in basket.

Second play. I signal two free throws, "Two shots", at spot, proceed to reporting area, walk right past trail partner, "Two shots". Table tells me ball went in basket. Check with partner. Yep, ball went in basket.

Too little. Too late. Thanks for making me look like a fool.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 18, 2022 at 04:33pm.