The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Mechanics Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105648-mechanics-question.html)

rbruno Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:30pm

Mechanics Question

Had this last night HS Varsity. 2 person, I'm the trail. Had a block/charge with the defender on the left side of the lane with the ball handler coming out of my area. We had a double whistle. My partner pointed at me to report so I went to the table with a block on the defense. Should the call come from me or my partner in this case?

bob jenkins Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:45pm

IT depends a bit on what's used in your area, but I *think* that in two-person the L has the entire lane. So, if the contact was in the lane, it's L's call.

That said, if it's close to the lane line and a primary defender, I'd give it to Trail.

And, of course, it can depend on who's had recent multiple foul calls in a row, or who wants to show the coaches that they are calling it the same at bothe ends, etc.

BillyMac Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:48pm

Keep It Simple ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbruno (Post 1046977)
We had a double whistle. My partner pointed at me to report so I went to the table with a block on the defense.

Don't over-complicate this. He wants you to take it, so take it.

Don't "fight" about it.

Our local custom is to allow the lead to take calls like this, but whatever works, works.

Maybe he thought that your whistle beat his whistle by a split second, or that maybe you had a slightly better look than his look?

Just be grateful that it wasn't signaled as a "blarge".

BillyMac Fri Feb 18, 2022 01:01pm

Suddenly Startled ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1046980)
Our local custom is to allow the lead to take calls like this ...

Double whistle. Lead lets trail make the call, contrary to local custom.

Happens a few times every season. Can sometimes (rarely) create a problem for me when I'm the trail.

Expecting the lead to take the double whistle call, as is custom, I'm immediately observing players on the floor (if they're there), looking to see if the ball entered the basket, and looking to identify a shooter (on the chance that there are free throws to be attempted), so I'm often suddenly startled that I have to make the foul call, and have to quickly go back (rewind) in my memory to identify the fouler, color and number, and the type foul. Sounds easy, but sometimes (rarely) it's not (for me).

BillyMac Fri Feb 18, 2022 01:26pm

No, You Take It ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1046981)
Expecting the lead to take the double whistle call, as is custom, I'm immediately observing players on the floor (if they're there), looking to see if the ball entered the basket, and looking to identify a shooter (on the chance that there are free throws to be attempted), so I'm often suddenly startled that I have to make the foul call, and have to quickly go back (rewind) in my memory to identify the fouler, color and number, and the type foul. Sounds easy, but sometimes (rarely) it's not (for me).

A few years ago, while partner and I were both playing, "No, you take it", we both failed to see if the ball did, or didn't, go in the basket. Table had to help us out (the ball entered the basket). I was the trail, so it was mostly, if not all, my fault.

Note: Worst partner ever. Same game, partner sounded whistle and called, "Incidental contact". For thirty-two minutes, my primary coverage area included ten players on the entire court.

BillyMac Fri Feb 18, 2022 03:35pm

Partners ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1046982)
Worst partner ...

... this season.

Two person game with a "loose" torn net on one end of court.

Two plays, I'm lead both times calling "in the act of shooting" fouls, keeping my eyes down as all good leads should do, watching for contact. I'm using only my peripheral vison (turns out poorly) to see if the ball goes in the basket (remember, a "loose" torn net).

First play. I signal good basket (my usual modus operandi is to really "bang" it in, mine is not a subtle signal), "Count it. One shot", at spot, proceed to reporting area, walk right past trail partner, "Count the basket. One shot". Table tells me ball didn't go in basket. Check with partner. Yep, ball didn't go in basket.

Second play. I signal two free throws, "Two shots", at spot, proceed to reporting area, walk right past trail partner, "Two shots". Table tells me ball went in basket. Check with partner. Yep, ball went in basket.

Too little. Too late. Thanks for making me look like a fool.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.c...=0&w=266&h=177