The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 05, 2022, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Huddle with coach during free throw?

Just wanting opinions on this tactic.

On every two shot foul a coach always brings his four players over to his sideline while his player shoots the first free throw. The four players huddle around him with his whiteboard, then after his player shoots the free throw those four players take their spots in the FT lane.

Just curious if these de facto timeouts are legal? I'm not saying this isn't good coaching, but just seems like it's an unfair advantage because the other coach can't bring all of his players over during this time even if he wants to because, I believe, the bottom spots have to be filled even on a 2 shot foul, correct?

Just wondering, what, if anything should be done with this tactic?
Old Sun Feb 06, 2022, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzmokramer View Post
Nothing, Kramer. Do nothing! As long as the players are above the FT line extended, outside the 3-pt arc, and still on the court, it is completely legal for the coach to conduct a "show and tell" with four of his players.

The opposing coach can meet with three of his players if they so choose. It isn't at all unfair. There is absolutely *zero* rule support for prohibiting this activity (aside from the players' locations I already mentioned).
Old Sun Feb 06, 2022, 11:03am
Do not give a damn!!

No rules against it at all. As long as the team not shooting the FTs are in place on the first block. we do not care what the other players are doing. No one has to even be on the lane but 2 players. The rest can be wherever they want outside of the 3 point line and above FT line extended.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 06, 2022, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I will add that we should not delay the second FT to allow the coach to continue to talk or the players to slowly mosey (is there any other way to mosey?)back to the FT lane.

(Nor should we rush in order to play "gotcha" with the teams)
Old Sun Feb 06, 2022, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzmokramer View Post
Just wanting opinions on this tactic.

On every two shot foul a coach always brings his four players over to his sideline while his player shoots the first free throw. The four players huddle around him with his whiteboard, then after his player shoots the free throw those four players take their spots in the FT lane.

Just curious if these de facto timeouts are legal? I'm not saying this isn't good coaching, but just seems like it's an unfair advantage because the other coach can't bring all of his players over during this time even if he wants to because, I believe, the bottom spots have to be filled even on a 2 shot foul, correct?

The bottom two lane spaces MUST be occupied by the DEFENSE on all common foul FT's.

So when you say "his" player is shooting (offense), only 2 of his players MAY occupy any of the empty lane spaces, not 4. If not done in a timely manner, just bounce it to the FT shooter and keep it moving.

If the D delays in occupying the lower blocks, as you may know, there are penalties for that.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2022, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mosey Along ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... slowly mosey (is there any other way to mosey?)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 06, 2022 at 12:10pm.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2022, 12:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Legally Converse With Coaches ...

Not exactly the same, but similar in intent:

Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game

"Everybody get behind the division line”, often said by an official before free throws for a technical foul, or an intentional foul, is also not rule based. According to the rule, the nine non-shooters shall remain behind the free throw line extended, and behind the three point arc, and do not have to stay behind the division line. In some cases, this may allow players to legally converse with their coaches.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Feb 06, 2022, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

The teams can even do that any time during the game, it would not be advised outside of FTs, however.
Old Sun Feb 06, 2022, 02:46pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

"Everybody get behind the division line”, often said by an official before free throws for a technical foul, or an intentional foul, is also not rule based. According to the rule, the nine non-shooters shall remain behind the free throw line extended, and behind the three point arc, and do not have to stay behind the division line. In some cases, this may allow players to legally converse with their coaches.
Not saying it's the incorrect application, but what is your source for the bolded.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Feb 06, 2022, 03:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Old Adage ...

Quote:
... this may allow players to legally converse with their coaches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Not saying it's the incorrect application, but what is your source for the bolded.
If it's not illegal, it's legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The teams can even do that any time during the game, it would not be advised outside of FTs, however.

Old Sun Feb 06, 2022, 04:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
If it's not illegal, it's legal.
I thought you had a specific citation since you said "according to the rules" earlier in that paragraph or that you were quoting somebody or something.

Didn't realize they were your own words.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Feb 06, 2022, 04:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Don't Say ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I thought you had a specific citation since you said "according to the rules" earlier in that paragraph or that you were quoting somebody or something. Didn't realize they were your own words.
Sorry. From a seven year old article of mine that was published in IAABO Sportorials magazine.

Old Mon Feb 07, 2022, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Watched this take place one night:

Team A is shooting FTs in the first half, coach calls the other four players over during the first. B5 jogs over. He doesn't insert himself into the huddle, but looks over their shoulder and listens while Coach A is giving instructions. A12 realizes what is happening and gives B5 a small shove to push him away from the huddle. Nothing malicious, but can't say I remember if the ball was live when the shove occurred or not. B5 grins and takes a couple steps away. All this occurred with T's back to them. Could have been a bad situation.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2022, 10:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Shouldn't Be Legal ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Team A is shooting FTs in the first half, coach calls the other four players over during the first. B5 jogs over. He doesn't insert himself into the huddle, but looks over their shoulder and listens while Coach A is giving instructions.
Not during a timeout or intermission: Legal?

Unsporting?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 07, 2022 at 11:03am.
Old Mon Feb 07, 2022, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I never say that. The players do that on their own. For the OP, if the defensive players are causing a delay by huddling, you can follow the procedure for administering a delay warning. Hopefully it does not get to the point where you have to administer a technical foul for delay.