The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

coach uses first free-throw for mini time out

Sit: Team a is fouled on the shot. As you set up to shoot, all of team b's players are huddling at the side line near thier bench. How do you procede? Note: with resumption of play and without.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 01:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just insist that you need two B players in the first spot. This usually solves the problem.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 01:53pm
#thereferee99

i believe there is a caseplay on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOFL View Post
Sit: Team a is fouled on the shot. As you set up to shoot, all of team b's players are huddling at the side line near thier bench. How do you procede? Note: with resumption of play and without.
... but i don't have my book.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If all of team B players were on the side line you would have a violation - because team B must ocupy the first two lane spaces for all free throws taken as a result of this foul.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

I just found a case play that applies. 10.1.5 sit c. It read something like you are to direct them to occupythe required spaces, and if there is delay, a team Tech is charged to team b. Is this a automatic T or would you try a little harder to get them to the lane before dropping the T?
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:09pm
Ch1town

Quote:
I just found a case play that applies. 10.1.5 sit c. It read something like you are to direct them to occupythe required spaces, and if there is delay, a team Tech is charged to team b. Is this a automatic T or would you try a little harder to get them to the lane before dropping the T?
Don't we give that T after a DOG? I like what JRut suggests, just get the players in their spaces. Why do paperwork for that one...
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
I would warn the coach that if his players aren't in the lane when the shooter gets the ball, it's a technical foul. walk to your spot as trail, and have the lead then bounce the ball to the shooter.

If his players are moving quickly, give them time. If they're not moving, whack-away.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Don't we give that T after a DOG? I like what JRut suggests, just get the players in their spaces. Why do paperwork for that one...
There's no DOG provision to warn for this. Rut's right, tell them to get in place. The case play gives you ammo in case coach refuses.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
There's no DOG provision to warn for this. Rut's right, tell them to get in place. The case play gives you ammo in case coach refuses.
I think D.O.G. applies if they huddle in the lane. I aggree with Rut also, I was looking for the "ammo" just in case. I've seen it acouple of times now and was suprised by it myself. Mine was in a middle school game. Needless to say we looked at each other confused. My partner signaled a violation, but the basket went and the team returned to occupy thier spaces. If you kick it once you are sure to remember it from then on.

Last edited by AKOFL; Tue Jan 06, 2009 at 08:51pm.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 09:01pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Free official to the huddle to disturb the "coaching" by clapping and saying, "Let's go. We're late."
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:16pm
This IS My Social Life

Unhappy Half a Kick

Crap. This exact thing happened in the fourth quarter of a heated contest, JV boys, just tonight.
In the heat of the moment (pressure cooker, back-and-forth game), I gave a whistle and issued a warning for delay of game (their first) to be recorded by the keeper of the scorebook. That got their attention! They hustled very quickly from the bench area to take their proper spaces in the bottom two spots.
Then, in the bleachers while observing the varsity game, I noted the casebook ruling that a warning for delay of game was not warranted, but that I should have, as others have stated above, just told them to get into their positions. Shucks, they'd have done that before any T was warranted.
This just shows the importance of studying what's posted on this discussion board. Had I more than glanced over the thread earlier today, I wouldn't have half-kicked it.
Turned out okay, but now I know what's right for next time.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 10:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Crap. This exact thing happened in the fourth quarter of a heated contest, JV boys, just tonight.
In the heat of the moment (pressure cooker, back-and-forth game), I gave a whistle and issued a warning for delay of game (their first) to be recorded by the keeper of the scorebook. That got their attention! They hustled very quickly from the bench area to take their proper spaces in the bottom two spots.
Then, in the bleachers while observing the varsity game, I noted the casebook ruling that a warning for delay of game was not warranted, but that I should have, as others have stated above, just told them to get into their positions. Shucks, they'd have done that before any T was warranted.
This just shows the importance of studying what's posted on this discussion board. Had I more than glanced over the thread earlier today, I wouldn't have half-kicked it.
Turned out okay, but now I know what's right for next time.
HA!
Those are the one's we own forever.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Like correctable errors, delay of game properly applies only to a few situations. Memorize those, and you won't mistakenly issue warnings in situations where they don't apply.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Free official to the huddle to disturb the "coaching" by clapping and saying, "Let's go. We're late."
Great tool. The other related brother to this one is to blast your whistle in a huddle when a team is not coming out in a timely manner when a TO ends.