The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 19, 2021, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

jumper

Jump ball, blue jumper taps ball straight up. As ball comes down, blue jumper taps ball straight up again. As ball comes down blue jumper catches ball. Violation?
Old Fri Nov 19, 2021, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Yes -- for catching the jump ball. Even if blue just taps it again it's a violation.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2021, 12:09pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Always Listen To bob ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes -- for catching the jump ball.
Agree.

6-3-7-C: Neither jumper must: Catch the ball before the jump ball ends.

6-3-8: The jump ball and the restrictions in 6-3-7 end when the touched ball contacts one of the eight non-jumpers, an official, the floor, a basket or backboard.

4-28-2: The jump ball begins when the ball leaves the official’s hand(s) and ends when the touched ball contacts a non-jumper, an official, the floor, a basket or backboard.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 19, 2021 at 12:13pm.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2021, 12:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What Happens Next ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
Jump ball, blue jumper taps ball straight up. As ball comes down, blue jumper taps ball straight up again. As ball comes down blue jumper catches ball. Violation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Yes, for catching the jump ball.
No need to reset game clock here as the first touch was a legal touch (unlike a ball touched by a jumper on the way up).

White ball at spot closest to the violation.

Alternating possession arrow goes to Blue and is set when ball is at disposal of White for the throwin.

After his early afternoon nap, Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying by to tell all of us how the alternating possession arrow throwin was handled back in ancient times when the alternating possession arrow was first invented.

Hint: Lose the BLANK, lose the BLANK.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 19, 2021 at 02:48pm.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2021, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
Yes. Throw-in at the spot nearest to the violation, unless the ball is inbounded in the frontcourt under NCAAM or NCAAW rules. In that case, the nearest of 4 spots will be used. The shot clock will remain at 30 for NCAA play or 24 for NBA play, because a violation resets the shot clock to 20/14 or keeps the shot clock at the current value, whichever is greater. Since no team has control, the shot clock will not have started. Otherwise, the ball will go to White at the nearest spot.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2021, 03:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Citation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Alternating possession arrow goes to Blue and is set when ball is at disposal of White for the throwin.
4-3: Alternating-possession control is established and the initial direction of the possession arrow is set toward the opponent’s basket when:
ART. 3 The ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower after:
a. A violation during or following the jump before a player secures control.

Tip o' the hat to Raymond for reminding us of this a few weeks ago.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 19, 2021 at 03:14pm.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2021, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Yes. Throw-in at the spot nearest to the violation, unless the ball is inbounded in the frontcourt under NCAAM or NCAAW rules. In that case, the nearest of 4 spots will be used.

A violation for catching the jump ball is NOT one of the reasons for using one of the four designated spots in NCAAW rules.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2021, 05:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Yes. Throw-in at the spot nearest to the violation, unless the ball is inbounded in the frontcourt under NCAAM or NCAAW rules. In that case, the nearest of 4 spots will be used. The shot clock will remain at 30 for NCAA play or 24 for NBA play, because a violation resets the shot clock to 20/14 or keeps the shot clock at the current value, whichever is greater. Since no team has control, the shot clock will not have started. Otherwise, the ball will go to White at the nearest spot.
NCAA-M:

That applies if the offensive team RETAINS possession following a defensive foul or violation in the front court or a defensive violation in the back court. If a team gains possession in their FC following a foul or violation, the shot clock is set to 20 seconds, if in the BC it is set to 30.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Nov 19, 2021 at 05:12pm.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2021, 05:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Perplexed In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
That applies if the offensive team RETAINS possession following a defensive foul or violation in the front court or a defensive violation in the back court. If a team gains possession in their FC following a foul or violation, the shot clock is set to 20 seconds, if in the BC it is set to 30.
Thanks for reminding me why I never wanted to understand NCAA basketball rules.

Also, rumor has it that Connecticut will go with a NFHS approved shot clock for all high school games (freshman, junior varsity, varsity) as early as next year. Some wanted it rushed as early as this year.

I'm perplexed.

Frugal principals, athletic directors, and coaches in Connecticut have stymied three person varsity (never even considering subvarsity) games for years, something that would really improve Connecticut high school basketball in every varsity game, yet the same principals, athletic directors, and coaches are jumping on the bandwagon for the chance to have high school shot clocks, something that would only improve a handful of games each season, and yet still be costly, originally for the equipment, and then ongoing for shot clock operators at the table.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 20, 2021 at 12:37pm.
Old Fri Nov 19, 2021, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, rumor has it that Connecticut will go with a NFHS approved shot clock for all high school games (freshman, junior varsity, varsity) as early as next year. Some wanted it rushed as early as this year.

I'm perplexed.

Frugal principals, athletic directors, and coaches have stymied three person varsity games for years, something that would really improve Connecticut high school basketball in every varsity game, yet the same principals, athletic directors, and coaches are jumping on the bandwagon for the chance to have high school shot clocks, something that would only improve a handful of games each season, and yet still be costly, originally for the equipment, and then ongoing for shot clock operators at the table.
Off-topic and sure to be revisited in future threads, but I wholly agree with this.

In our state (VA) clinic this year, it was pointed out that average possession time was only 14 seconds. HS players don’t care about offensive sets, they just want to go score! Furthermore, coaches were evenly split on the shot clock from state survey data, so with no clear mandate, VA will not be adopting it anytime soon.

I think that’s the right approach. VA took the “coolness factor” and emotion out of the equation and ended up with a rational decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Nov 20, 2021, 02:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me why I never wanted to understand NCAA basketball rules.

I'm perplexed.

Frugal principals, athletic directors, and coaches have stymied three person varsity games for years, something that would really improve Connecticut high school basketball in every varsity game, yet the same principals, athletic directors, and coaches are jumping on the bandwagon for the chance to have high school shot clocks, something that would only improve a handful of games each season, and yet still be costly, originally for the equipment, and then ongoing for shot clock operators at the table.

If the schools create more responsibility for the officials by adding a shot clock, then the officials should seek greater compensation per game.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2021, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NCAA-M:

Same for NCAAW, except that kick, fist, thought the basket from below are the only violations to which this applies.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2021, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Oh, I Wonder, Wonder Who, Mmbadoo-Ooh, Who (The Monotones 1957) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
“coolness factor”
I never realized it, but this may part of the equation. Probably shouldn't be, but it may be.

It's nowhere near to the level of an answer in search of a problem because there are certainly some valid reasons for shot clocks.

However, I wonder how often stakeholders in the game say, "Tonight's high school game could really use, and would be a lot better, with a shot clock".

Not as a general comment, but as a comment about that specific game with those two teams that night.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 21, 2021 at 10:58am.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2021, 07:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NCAA-M:

That makes more sense. If in the frontcourt, White gets the ball with 20/14 seconds on the shot clock from one of the 4 designated spots (NCAAM) or at the nearest spot (NCAAW/NBA). If in the backcourt, White gets the ball at the nearest spot with the shot clock at 30/24.
Old Sat Nov 20, 2021, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That makes more sense. If in the frontcourt, White gets the ball with 20/14 seconds on the shot clock from one of the 4 designated spots (NCAAM) or at the nearest spot (NCAAW/NBA). If in the backcourt, White gets the ball at the nearest spot with the shot clock at 30/24.
That is NOT true in the OP ( a jump ball violation) for NCAAW