The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 19, 2021, 03:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Men's NCAA National Championship Videos

Play #1:

Play #2:

It appears that the NCAA is not flagging videos like they had in the past. So as a result I will post more videos over the tournament for discussion. I just was not comfortable during tournament time to post many videos and get constant flags for copywriting. I think either they backed off or realize it is not undermining their exposure.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 19, 2021, 03:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Play #3

Peace
Old Mon Apr 19, 2021, 03:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Play 1: I see the defender holding first prior to any ward-off; I think that's what the Center sees also.

Play 2: You watch the defender's right foot and you can see him stepping into the ball handler (he actually kicks A1's left foot).

Play 3: Illegal screen prior to the defender grabbing screener's shoulder.
Old Mon Apr 19, 2021, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

1. First action was a swim move by the offense to put the defender behind him where he backed into the defender, after which the defender pulled him down....correct as called based on the first contact.

2. Defender had LGP and was maintaining it by moving toward the endline and toward the center of the court while the opponent was towards the division line. The offense never got head and shoulders past the front of the opponent's torso but contacted the front of the opponent's torso...LGP maintained, correct as called.

3. Screener moved into the path of the opponent too late...correct as called.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2021, 01:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Play #4:

Peace
Old Tue Apr 20, 2021, 06:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Play 4: good call. I'm glad the announcers didn't try to say it was the wrong call.
Old Tue Apr 20, 2021, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Play 4: good call. I'm glad the announcers didn't try to say it was the wrong call.
F1 occurred in the BC. The ball should have been inbounded in the BC resumed at the sideline nearest the point of interruption or the designated spot nearest to where the violation or foul occurred.

To compound the error, the crew also inbounded the ball in the FC with only 20 seconds on the shotclock. Even if they believed the F1 occurred in the FC, there should be at least 28 seconds on the shotclock.

That is why most good crews will go to the monitor when any type of flagrant foul is called; they can review spot of foul and any type of clock adjustments that need to be made.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2021, 08:03am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post
F1 occurred in the BC. The ball should have been inbounded in the BC resumed at the sideline nearest the point of interruption or the designated spot nearest to where the violation or foul occurred.

To compound the error, the crew also inbounded the ball in the FC with only 20 seconds on the shotclock. Even if they believed the F1 occurred in the FC, there should be at least 28 seconds on the shotclock.

That is why most good crews will go to the monitor when any type of flagrant foul is called; they can review spot of foul and any type of clock adjustments that need to be made.
Wow, I didn't even pay attention to all of that during the game. I usually catch those types of mistakes.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2021, 09:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahoopref View Post

I noticed that later. And I see why it was put where it was because when the play had a whistle, where was the player. A good lesson for all of us and at the NCAA it matters because of where you put the ball in play now (tick marks at 28-foot mark and endline marking).

Now if they had put the ball in the backcourt, it is set to 30. If they put the ball in the FC, they get I believe at 20 if you deem this was a turnover foul (in other words no possession when the foul occurred. I can certainly make a case this was still a defensive player at the time of the foul. Just tapping the ball away is not considered possession. Heck, I could make a case that this is a TC foul at the high school level which would result in no free throws if we do not call an Intentional Foul here. Certainly, a lot going on here and this is why these plays are not just one-dimensional.

Good catch. I do agree with the monitor part, but they are getting on them to not go for a lot of other reasons. So I think this was an obvious foul application at first and the other things might not have been considered.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 21, 2021, 09:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Play #5:

Peace
Old Wed Apr 21, 2021, 02:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Play #6:

Peace
Old Wed Apr 21, 2021, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

Play 6: Travelling
Old Wed Apr 21, 2021, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
It is goaltending, because the ball was outside the cylinder and on its downward flight. I would have called it as such at both the NFHS and NCAA levels.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2021, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Peace
It appears that the ball hit the glass first, but even with the slow-mo, it isn't entirely certain. He may have touched it just prior to it rebounding off the backboard, after which the recoil caused him to force it back to the board.

It looks like a good call at a glance and I see nothing to overturn it but I wouldn't be surprised if there had been a camera shot directly form the side that would show his hand touching the ball first.
Old Wed Apr 21, 2021, 06:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Peace
Passing on the travel allows for points to be scored via a different violation.

Missing the travel is important on this play. But the play at the basket is definitely a goaltending.