The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to swerv17
National Basketball Championship

Does anyone know anything about the PrimeTime sports 2013 National Basketball Championship being held July 24-28 in Dallas, TX? There is a link to where officials can register. Anyone ever work this event or know someone who has? I was just curious how the play was and if they follow NFHS or NCAA rules. Any information you have would be great.

Keep learning and geting better. Give back what you have learned and experienced to someone else. We'll all be better officials for it.

"Rules competency breeds calmness and confidence in chaos."-Vince Iandoli

"I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really. Get busy living or get busy dying." - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 07:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Does the link say anything about transportation, per diem, and lodging?
Old Mon Jul 08, 2013, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

I worked it the two years before I had to stop for health reasons. Back then, you had to have worked some of their other tournaments during the summer to get games, but the assignments were based on merit (per their assignor) so I think that was primarily a means for evaluating the officials. I worked the 16-17 year old boys during the first three days, then 13-14 boys for a day and lastly the 13-14 year old girls (stopped at the quarter-finals).

I live in the area but I don't think they paid per diem, lodging or transportation...of course things could have changed since I last worked the tournament.
Old Wed Jul 10, 2013, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure it's worth the expense of traveling out here, but knock yourself out. The local (known) higher quality officials will likely get all of the high quality games - unless you come with a known resume somehow. I can get you in touch with the assignor for PrimeTime if you send me a PM. I'm sure they can use the extra officials, but be prepared to work a lot of the lower level games if they don't have a clue who you are.

The rules are a combination of NCAA and NFHS, depending on which gyms have a shot clock. Not all of them will.