The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

National Championship thread

I logged in this morning hoping to see some discussion of some of the calls. Seeing none, here is my contribution:

The play where Paige for UNC drives baseline, and B45 comes across the lane, approximately 5 minute mark??, I thought that was a foul. While 45 did a good job of not swinging and kept his arms "strait up" he was moving forward pretty clearly IMO.

The foul on white in the middle of the lane in the last minute I did not think was consistent with how things had been called to that point. It may have technically been a foul, but to that point there had been much more contact allowed on both ends.

Couple other calls I thought were worth discussing:

I thought the play at the 10 second mark of the first half was a foul on blue on the breakaway, but I would like to see it again.

And there was a loose ball foul called on 3white that I would like to hear people's opinions on. No idea on the time, I can't find a game log. I thought the loose ball foul on KU was an easy call, but this one not so much. I felt like that was two guys going for a loose ball.

I know this reads like I'm a UNC homer, but I promise you I'm not. These were just the first 4 calls that came to my mind.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 09:52am
Courageous When Prudent

The Marcus Paige play was not a foul, the defender jumped straight up. I rewound that play multiple times to show my son why it wasn't a foul.

On the loose ball play the UNC player knocked the Villanova down from behind.

I see no mention of the two player control fouls that should have been called in the first half against the Tar Heels but were no-called.

There were two plays in the first half where Villanova should have been called for fouls on North Carolina layups that were missed. On each play the Villanova player pushed an airborne Tarheel shooter.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Apr 05, 2016 at 09:57am.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

I also thought there was a pushing foul by Villanova at the end of the first half.

I liked the loose ball foul called on UNC #3 Meeks midway through the second half.

TBS had the neutral/objective telecast. TNT had the UNC Team Stream. TruTV had the Villanova Team Stream. I watched it on TBS. I think that most people who watched on TNT heard a lot of complaints about the officials.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 11:19am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I also thought there was a pushing foul by Villanova at the end of the first half.

I liked the loose ball foul called on UNC #3 Meeks midway through the second half.

TBS had the neutral/objective telecast. TNT had the UNC Team Stream. TruTV had the Villanova Team Stream. I watched it on TBS. I think that most people who watched on TNT heard a lot of complaints about the officials.
The fact that they dedicate stations to homer (read: normal team-produced telecasts) tells me that people just want to hear what they want to hear.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IUgrad92
Violation on the opening tip? Don't often see that at this level....

If it wasn't, it sure looked weird.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post

I thought the same thing but wasn't able to go back and rewind.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUgrad92 View Post

YES!! I couldn't believe they didn't re-tip that. It barely got above their heads.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
YES!! I couldn't believe they didn't re-tip that. It barely got above their heads.
LOL, no one cares.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 03:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
LOL, no one cares.
Really. Instead of mentioning it, people should learn from that moment.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 03:46pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Learn that cuz they didn't call it in the National Championship game then I shouldn't call it in my 3rd grade girls CYO games?

Mission Accomplished!
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 03:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Learn that cuz they didn't call it in the National Championship game then I shouldn't call it in my 3rd grade girls CYO games?

Mission Accomplished!
I've been to camps where clinicians went on and on and on and on and on about how important the opening jump was. I've never bought into that.

"Sorry, coach, you'll get 2 of the next 3."

If it's *really* bad, then blow it back to save the R from having to do it himself.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
What's there to learn. Yes it was a violation, and it's one that is often not called at many levels. Either because the officials aren't ready, it's not expected, or no one cares.

I have called back one jump in my life and it was mostly because the jumper got off way to early, but if both jumpers leave at the same time let's start the game.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 04:27pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
If you call a violation, you don't re-jump.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 04:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
What's there to learn. Yes it was a violation, and it's one that is often not called at many levels. Either because the officials aren't ready, it's not expected, or no one cares.

I have called back one jump in my life and it was mostly because the jumper got off way to early, but if both jumpers leave at the same time let's start the game.
I've called it once; HS JV game years ago. I was in the second game of a three-game stretch with the same team. I saw it but froze in the first game. I was ready for it in the second game and called it. They didn't do it in the third game, but there was a fight at the end.
Old Tue Apr 05, 2016, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Edited to add: Adam beat me to this point...

There seems to be disagreement about what happened on the jump ball.

1) We have some people saying it should have been re-jumped.

2) We have others saying it is a violation.

It is a violation if the ball was touched by the player before the ball reached the highest point of the toss.

If only one player violates, I'm calling the violation and awarding the ball to the other team.

If it is just a bad toss, I'm probably just playing on unless it is egregiously bad.

Like I said, I didn't have replay so I'm not sure which happened, but if one of the players violated, we would not re-jump.