The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Nothing, as the play is dead at the time the whistle blows for the first foul, unless the contact by B2 is deemed to be flagrant or unsportsmanlike resulting in a technical foul.

Just to be thorough, the fact the play is dead DOES NOT make the ball dead as the try is not over with.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That makes no sense...the ball is live and that is all you have. There is no such thing as a dead play.

This is the reason the multiple foul is in the books....if you have players doing that on purpose, it is time to pull out the multiple foul. I've never seen it happen, however and do not expect to.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 06:43pm.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 06:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can't Be By A Sixteen Post Grasshopper ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
4.19.12 SITUATION B1 fouls airborne A1 who is in the act of shooting. Before airborne shooter A1 returns one foot to the floor, he/she is fouled by B2 who has moved into A1’s landing area. The ball: (a) does; or (b) does not, enter the basket. This is a false multiple foul and each foul carries its own penalty. In (a), the goal is counted and A1 is awarded one free throw for each foul. In (b), A1 is awarded two free throws for each foul. (10 PENALTY 6, 10 PENALTY 7)
Nice citation. Is that you Nevadaref? Why are you posting under Mike Goodwin's username?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 06:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Never Know When You'll Need Something ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
... it is time to pull out the multiple foul.
That's why we all wear a multipurpose utility toolbelt.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 06:50pm.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2021, 10:40am
Esteemed Forum Member

Concession Stand Hot Single Moms ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
So, BillyMac: you, Team A's coach, the custodian, the deputy sheriff, and any spectators in the stands see B2's 'purposeful' foul on A1 ...
Forgot the hot single Moms running the concession stand.

Struck up a conversation with a few parents during one of our Connecticut COVID mask breaks yesterday. Not many parents, COVID limit of two parents per player, no other spectators. Explained that I could get use to this mask idea because I looked a lot more handsome wearing a mask and I got to meet a lot more hot single Moms in the bleachers. I got the laugh I had hoped for. Actually better than expected. I guess that fans aren't use to officials being self deprecating. Should have finished the conversation with, "I'll be here the entire game folks. Enjoy the all you can eat hot dog and popcorn buffet".

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 21, 2021 at 12:23pm.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2021, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I guess when I imagined this play, I was thinking about a slow motion, deliberate Euro-Step move. There could be time after the initial foul for another defender to slap the shooters forearm, etc.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2021, 12:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Roar Of The Crowd, More Of A Murmur ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Not many parents, COVID limit of two parents per player, no other spectators ...
Different dynamic in the game this year with just a few dozen spectators in the cheap seats. Can hear individuals who are just normally talking, not necessarily yelling.

Called a foul on a player yesterday. He seemed frustrated with my call, started to say something to me, but got cut off mid sentence by his Mom, "That's enough Junior. You fouled him". Player immediately shut up and meekly headed to the free throw lane with his tail between his legs. Nice. Embarrassing, but nice.

Unfortunately, in the same game, my partner was harassed by an anti-masker Dad after we continually reminded players (more of a problem with one team than the other) to wear their masks properly, over both the nose and mouth. Site director just stood up, pointed at the Dad from across the gym, didn't even have to say anything, and that ended that. Reminded me of Babe Ruth calling his shot. Nice. Thanks site director.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Mar 20, 2021 at 02:53pm.
Old Sun Mar 21, 2021, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That makes no sense...the ball is live and that is all you have. There is no such thing as a dead play.

This is the reason the multiple foul is in the books....if you have players doing that on purpose, it is time to pull out the multiple foul. I've never seen it happen, however and do not expect to.

Agree that the first few posts were less than erudite.

BTW, believe you meant FMF rather than MF. MFs are in the rules, too, but they are even less likely to ever be seen as officials will just pick the fouler in this case (hopefully the scrub rather than the stud).

The only time I could ever see a MF being assessed is if two officials both make the call and go to the table and both report a different dude while not realizing the other is also reporting at the same time. Then you could conceivably have to assess both because the cat was out of the bag, sort of like how you assess a DF on a blarge. But the odds of that happening and one official not yielding are astronomically low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 21, 2021, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Agree that the first few posts were less than erudite.

BTW, believe you meant FMF rather than MF. MFs are in the rules, too, but they are even less likely to ever be seen as officials will just pick the fouler in this case (hopefully the scrub rather than the stud).

The only time I could ever see a MF being assessed is if two officials both make the call and go to the table and both report a different dude while not realizing the other is also reporting at the same time. Then you could conceivably have to assess both because the cat was out of the bag, sort of like how you assess a DF on a blarge. But the odds of that happening and one official not yielding are astronomically low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually meant MF. The MF is two players fouling the same opponent at "approximately" the same time. How far apart is close enough to be "approximately"?

I know there is a similar case play which goes to FMF but at what point does it cease to be a MF and become a FMF. That isn't specified.