The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 26, 2003, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

Now that you have your thinking caps on, let’s judge the second part of the argument.

Same R1 off 2B, but this time she hustles back and touches the base.

The other side says that the LB rule ends for that runner when she stops on a base. (But somehow it is still in effect for other runners that are still off base!) Runner is stuck to the base and if she leaves it she is called out under the “not maintaining contact” rule (ASA 8.7.S, or NFHS 8.6.20, or USSSA 9.18.K)

I disagree. 8.7.S is only valid when the pitch is released. I submit that the LB is still in effect and R1 is called out under that rule (ASA 8.7.T.2 “Once a runner stops at a base for any reason, the runner will be declared out if leaving the base.”) NFHS has identical wording.

My position is that, if LB is not in effect, and/or F1 is not pitching, then there is no rule anywhere that prevents a runner from leaving a base.

Finally, let’s have an “angels on a pin-head” type discussion. When R2 leaves the base just before the pitcher releases the pitch, you call her out. But what rule do you use? Is she out under LB rule 8.7.T.2, because LB is still in effect until the pitch is released? Or is she out under 8.2.S (not maintaining contact until the pitch leaves the pitcher’s hand)?

WMB
Old Thu Jun 26, 2003, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WestMichBlue
I disagree. 8.7.S is only valid when the pitch is released. ...Finally, let’s have an “angels on a pin-head” type discussion. When R2 leaves the base just before the pitcher releases the pitch, you call her out. But what rule do you use? Is she out under LB rule 8.7.T.2, because LB is still in effect until the pitch is released? Or is she out under 8.2.S (not maintaining contact until the pitch leaves the pitcher’s hand)?
WMB, I don't know why you are fretting so over this. 8-7S reads "fails to keep contact until" not "off the base when." There is no pin-head (control... control... no wise cracks...) for angels to get on. 8-7S will result in the batter being called out if she steps off the base while the pitcher is taking signals, for example. 8-7S is terminated when the pitch leaves the pitcher's hand. It is not a rule that is only valid for the split second just before skin looses touch with leather. It is valid the whole time the pitcher is preparing to pitch and the runner is on the base. If the runner steps off before the release (or, putting it another way, fails to maintain contact until the release), then the runner is out. 8-7S and 8-7T.2 overlap once the runner has stopped on a base and the pitcher is preparing to pitch.