LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Family Argument: ...and one!?

Forgive my amateur terminology...here goes:

A1 begins a try for a basket.
B1 slaps his arm
Ref whistles the obvious Foul
A1 continues his customary upward shooting motion, such that if the Try was successful, it would count for an “and one” situation.
B2 Then grabs A1 arm, preventing completion of the Try.

What is proper call, if any, on B2?

Thanks for your help!
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 03:53pm
Stubborn Member

Nothing, as the play is dead at the time the whistle blows for the first foul, unless the contact by B2 is deemed to be flagrant or unsportsmanlike resulting in a technical foul.

Just to be thorough, the fact the play is dead DOES NOT make the ball dead as the try is not over with.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

So coaches should instruct their defenders to foul, intentionally foul, in this situation, because there is no penalty for doing so. Not flagrant, and make it look like a legitimate play, but FOUL! Do not allow shooter to complete a possible 'and one'.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 04:09pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcramer View Post
So coaches should instruct their defenders to foul, intentionally foul, in this situation, because there is no penalty for doing so. Not flagrant, and make it look like a legitimate play, but FOUL! Do not allow shooter to complete a possible 'and one'.
If it's deemed unsportsmanlike, meaning it's not a basketball play, then a tech can be called.

Just like with fouling at the end of the game to stop the clock... Just don't make it obvious.

Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 04:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
A1 begins a try for a basket. B1 slaps his arm. Ref whistles the obvious Foul. A1 continues his customary upward shooting motion, such that if the Try was successful, it would count for an “and one” situation. B2 Then grabs A1 arm, preventing completion of the Try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
... the fact the play is dead DOES NOT make the ball dead as the try is not over with.
Agree.

6-7 EXCEPTION C: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap for field goal ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when: (a foul, other than player-control or team-control) occurs by any opponent of a player who has started a try or tap for field goal (is in the act of shooting) before the foul occurred, provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight. The trying motion must be continuous and begins after the ball comes to rest in the player’s hand(s) on a try or touches the hand(s) on a tap, and is completed when the ball is clearly in flight. The trying motion may include arm, foot or body movements used by the player when throwing the ball at his/her basket.

Quote:
If it's deemed unsportsmanlike, meaning it's not a basketball play, then a tech can be called.
Maybe I'm confused.

Live ball (continuation) illegal contact a technical foul?

You sure?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 04:35pm.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 04:35pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Maybe I'm confused.

Live ball (continuation) illegal contact a technical foul?

You sure?
Dammit... No.

I should have kept my mouth shut like I have all season.

Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Agree.

6-7 EXCEPTION C: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap for field goal ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when: (a foul, other than player-control or team-control) occurs by any opponent of a player who has started a try or tap for field goal (is in the act of shooting) before the foul occurred, provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight. The trying motion must be continuous and begins after the ball comes to rest in the player’s hand(s) on a try or touches the hand(s) on a tap, and is completed when the ball is clearly in flight. The trying motion may include arm, foot or body movements used by the player when throwing the ball at his/her basket.
Well, this has the makings of a False Multiple Foul. If the foul by B2 is such that it would be assessed, A1 would get 2 free throws for the foul by B1 then 2 free throws for the foul by B2 and the ball would remain alive after the last (fourth) free throw.

Last edited by Mike Goodwin; Sun Mar 21, 2021 at 01:25pm. Reason: fix quote
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 04:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Be Bashful ...

Quote:
Dammit... No. I should have kept my mouth shut like I have all season.
Hey, you got the continuation part correct. That's got to count for something. Right?

Let's see if I can find some lengthy 60's song lyrics, a decades-old music video, or an old obscure photo, to make you feel better.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...Let's see if I can find some lengthy 60's song lyrics, a decades-old music video, or an old obscure photo, to make you feel better.
I see you like living on the edge, BillyMac.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 04:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Bring A Blanket ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goodwin View Post
Well, this has the makings of a False Multiple Foul. If the foul by B2 is such that it would be assessed, A1 would get 2 free throws for the foul by B1 then 2 free throws for the foul by B2 and the ball would remain alive after the last (fourth) free throw.
Have fun explaining that to the coach. If he was the visiting coach the explanation would soon be followed by inviting the coach to take a seat on his cold bus in the parking lot.

Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Conditional Approach

Quote:
Have fun explaining that to the coach. If he was the visiting coach the explanation would soon be followed by inviting the coach to take a seat on his cold bus in the parking lot.
I did say if the foul was assessed on B2. But it's in the OP. (Any video of this kind of play would be helpful).

So, BillyMac: you, Team A's coach, the custodian, the deputy sheriff, and any spectators in the stands see B2's 'purposeful' foul on A1, who's (presumably) still in the Act of Shooting. What do you call? I see a risk in considering it as merely incidental based on the original description.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

In the real world, the second foul is ignored. It NEVER happens that B2's fouls only to prevent A1 from completing the "and 1"

Hypothetically, if it does ... well, the rules are there
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Case Book is my Friend

Similar to, but not quite like, the OP.

4.19.12 SITUATION

B1 fouls airborne A1 who is in the act of shooting. Before airborne shooter A1 returns one foot to the floor, he/she is fouled by B2 who has moved into A1’s landing area. The ball: (a) does; or (b) does not, enter the basket.

This is a false multiple foul and each foul carries its own penalty. In (a), the goal is counted and A1 is awarded one free throw for each foul. In (b), A1 is awarded two free throws for each foul. (10 PENALTY 6, 10 PENALTY 7)
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
In the real world, the second foul is ignored. It NEVER happens that B2's fouls only to prevent A1 from completing the "and 1"

Hypothetically, if it does ... well, the rules are there

Why else would B2 foul A1? It is to prevent A1 from scoring a basket!
Old Fri Mar 19, 2021, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why else would B2 foul A1? It is to prevent A1 from scoring a basket!
Because he's just playing defense. B2 is NOT going to think "b1 already fouled A1 so I can get in a free shot."