The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2020, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,737
Kentucky Eliminating Jump Ball

https://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...etball-season/

So what purpose does this serve?

Billy will love this.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2020, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,938
The jump ball change is not about the players but about the officials. Many officials are far more in the vulnerable group than the kids. By not having the jump ball, and other mechanics changes, it allows the officials to maintain distances throughout the entire game.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2020, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,737
I plan to maintain social distancing from the coaches during my games.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Sep 23, 2020, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The jump ball change is not about the players but about the officials. Many officials are far more in the vulnerable group than the kids. By not having the jump ball, and other mechanics changes, it allows the officials to maintain distances throughout the entire game.
What other mechanics changes are going to allow social distancing to be maintained?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 12:33am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
What other mechanics changes are going to allow social distancing to be maintained?
No ball handling. Players retrieve the ball, hold it, and then resume play upon direction from the administering official. The official can then stay as far away as they need/want to. That primarily serves the purpose of preventing the transmission from handling a whistle with saliva then touching the ball then touching the face area again but it also removes the situation where an official hands the ball to a player for a throwin.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 06:24am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
No ball handling. Players retrieve the ball, hold it, and then resume play upon direction from the administering official. The official can then stay as far away as they need/want to. That primarily serves the purpose of preventing the transmission from handling a whistle with saliva then touching the ball then touching the face area again but it also removes the situation where an official hands the ball to a player for a throwin.
I think my HS commissioner is planning something along those lines.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 07:26am
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I think my HS commissioner is planning something along those lines.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I have not seen anything going this far at this time. Mostly what we are asked to do is wear masks going into buildings and having some kind of electric whistle or whistle cover. Nothing game related like this at this point. I doubt this will be something we even see at this point. At least in Illinois, it is going to be a bigger issue if we even play games. So I think if this is a suggestion, we probably will not be playing on time at least.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 07:56am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 146
We have played "no players in the spaces for FTs" in a few tourneys at one facility for youth games. I have to say I kinda enjoy it. No jockeying and shoving 6 people together at once, no dumb violations, during 2 shots the teams have started talking with the coach eliminating some time outs, and my favorite is no trash talking which is one spot that it inevitably happens.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 09:41am
LRZ LRZ is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SE PA
Posts: 723
I skimmed the KHSAA handbook, referenced in the article; unless I missed something, it does not say anything about open lane spaces or no ball handling; to the contrary, it specifies that officials should bounce the ball to players from six feet away.

Otherwise, it is mostly about now-standard protocols to prevent spreading: social distancing, handwashing, sanitizers, no handshakes, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 10:29am
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,718
It's The Old Set Up BillyMac ...

... to get him in trouble and get him suspended from the Forum trick.

It's the oldest trick in the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Billy will love this.
You all see how Forum members try to set me up. It's a big conspiracy I tell you, a big conspiracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Billy has no right to claim victory, because this has nothing to do with officials’ perennial inability to toss a ball straight up in the air ...
... and know 100% of the rules and then apply them consistently in a split second.

Agree, no victory lap for me, but ...



No jump balls in Michigan, Mississippi, and now Kentucky.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. must be rolling over in his grave.

Wait? I'm being told ... Are you sure? Did anybody check his breathing with a mirror? Barely? Never mind.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 24, 2020 at 11:58am.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 12:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 18,718
COVID Precautions ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
What other mechanics changes are going to allow social distancing to be maintained?
Mississippi:

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1039582

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
KHSAA handbook ... does not say anything about open lane spaces or no ball handling.
Camron Rust may have been referring to Michigan:

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1039545

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Yeah, and I heard they were going to keep players out of lane spaces during free throws as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
We have played "no players in the spaces for FTs" in a few tourneys at one facility for youth games ...
crosscountry55 was being sarcastic (blue font). Valley Man was referring to a non-interscholastic youth game at single site in his state.
__________________
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 24, 2020 at 12:52pm.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Camron Rust may have been referring to Michigan.
Not specifically, but that is the direction we're going in Oregon. It isn't approved yet, but it is likely since I'm proposing it and the state basketball committee has agreed to it.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 02:06pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 29,193
Having worked this summer, this all sounds really silly. I get maybe bouncing the ball on a throw-in when we would hand it, but I do not get how we have players get everything on their own. I could see that as causing other in-game issues. But if that is what we have to do, I guess, but not very practical. Players tend to go faster than when we are ready and with substitutions and other inadvertent delays, I just am not a fan. But again maybe if there is a stated procedure meaning how we let them know we are ready, I guess. But I see that is them doing things and we having to stop things and that will be a pain in the behind.

The NCAA gave officials masks (face covering kind from the neck) and to me that would be better than making us do something else.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Having worked this summer, this all sounds really silly. I get maybe bouncing the ball on a throw-in when we would hand it, but I do not get how we have players get everything on their own. I could see that as causing other in-game issues. But if that is what we have to do, I guess, but not very practical. Players tend to go faster than when we are ready and with substitutions and other inadvertent delays, I just am not a fan. But again maybe if there is a stated procedure meaning how we let them know we are ready, I guess. But I see that is them doing things and we having to stop things and that will be a pain in the behind.

The NCAA gave officials masks (face covering kind from the neck) and to me that would be better than making us do something else.

Peace
No amount of space/bouncing removes the potential of transmission from a referee touching his/her whistle with saliva on it, then touching the ball, which is then touched by several others who are touching who knows what, only to then be touched by an official again who touches his/her whistle and so on.

Without anyone really knowing how this thing is spreading, to me, that seems like the most probable avenue of transmission. And it isn't so much a way to protect the kids but to offer some degree of protection (even if it is just imagined) to the officials who are by and large in a much more vulnerable age group. We're expecting a substantial level of attrition and, with that, a very difficult time covering the games that we'd have. This may be the one thing that keeps a few more officials around.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Just for some perspective, I looked up the survival rates for coronavirus infection on the CDC website. As of last week the numbers were:

0-19 99.997% survival
20-49 99.98%
50-69 99.5%
70+ 94.6%

I would guess most of those officials Cameron is worried about fall in the 50-69 age group. Based on these statistics, and the statistics for obesity and obesity related illness in the US, those officials have orders of magnitude greater chance of having a heart attack and dying during the game than they have of catching and dying from cronoavirus.
I don't necessarily disagree with you. However, perhaps a bigger issue is keeping enough officials to be able to cover the games. It may be necessary to do things that statistically don't appear to be that beneficial just to satisfy the concerns of the officials.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coronavirus eliminating teams from CA State tournament Nevadaref Basketball 5 Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:29am
Cincinnati vs Kentucky Contact Dead Ball Technical Foul (Video) APG Basketball 35 Sat Mar 28, 2015 05:51am
Question -- Jump ball right after opening Jump ball bradfordwilkins Basketball 9 Tue Feb 22, 2005 03:42pm
Jump Ball: Possession Arrow vs. Actual Jump Ball KingTripleJump Basketball 21 Thu Feb 12, 2004 08:47am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1