View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Having worked this summer, this all sounds really silly. I get maybe bouncing the ball on a throw-in when we would hand it, but I do not get how we have players get everything on their own. I could see that as causing other in-game issues. But if that is what we have to do, I guess, but not very practical. Players tend to go faster than when we are ready and with substitutions and other inadvertent delays, I just am not a fan. But again maybe if there is a stated procedure meaning how we let them know we are ready, I guess. But I see that is them doing things and we having to stop things and that will be a pain in the behind.

The NCAA gave officials masks (face covering kind from the neck) and to me that would be better than making us do something else.

Peace
No amount of space/bouncing removes the potential of transmission from a referee touching his/her whistle with saliva on it, then touching the ball, which is then touched by several others who are touching who knows what, only to then be touched by an official again who touches his/her whistle and so on.

Without anyone really knowing how this thing is spreading, to me, that seems like the most probable avenue of transmission. And it isn't so much a way to protect the kids but to offer some degree of protection (even if it is just imagined) to the officials who are by and large in a much more vulnerable age group. We're expecting a substantial level of attrition and, with that, a very difficult time covering the games that we'd have. This may be the one thing that keeps a few more officials around.