The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I volunteer at a hospital and I too am bombarded with information, none of which is as cavalier about the dangers of COVID-19 as you seem to be.

I'm also aware of how little was initially known about coronavirus, a plausible explanation for erroneous prognostications and medical advice and information that later changed as we learned more.

You handle medical wastes, I recall you saying in another thread. You have also referred to nurses in a way that suggests that you are neither a doctor nor a nurse. Regardless of your official job title, it's clear from your posts that you are in the "exaggerated peril" or "hoax" camp. Some of us prefer to be more cautious.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Nothing wrong with being cautious. I'm a guy that if I'm not comfortable with a situation, I'm out. You have to way the risks And determine what's appropriate for you. Ive been saying from the start that if you're in the retirement window or a cancer patient or suffer immune system deficiencies you need to be careful and I'm going to avoid you as much as possible.

I'm not the one forcing covid patients in nursing homes then getting a book deal out of it.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 12:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
You'd have to know you had the virus or exposed to be concerned about spreading it. I doubt he would of went if he thought he was infected.

As for information, I work for a hospital and her bombarded with information every day.
There were reports that other people at that rally discovered they had the virus after that rally. So either way, it goes he got it and the fact we do not know where is a problem. So to say let us not worry about that without some level of caution is silly. My wife works in a nursing home and is in a nursing home that has patients with Covid-19 brought to their building. Not everyone is dying, but people have gotten sick. So why put us in harm's way without some better information of how you can contract this virus?

Peace
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 12:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Patriotic ...

Quote:
... if you're in the retirement window or a cancer patient or suffer immune system deficiencies you need to be careful and I'm going to avoid you as much as possible ...
We don't wear badges that identify us as such. How would you possibly know to avoid us?

If you're a "patriotic" person (President Trump's words), or a caring person, you would totally avoid non-immediate family, avoiding grocery shopping, pharmacy, doctor's office, place of employment, mass transient, elevators, etc., or wear a mask when doing such.

Retirees, cancer patients, and immune system patients, may not have the luxury of sheltering in place, they may have to go to work to earn a living, or take mass transit, or go to the doctor, or shop for food, or pick up a prescription. They may not own a car. They may not have family and friends to help them do such.

And if a healthy person catches the virus from one (who may be presymptomatic or asymptomatic) they (who may also be presymptomatic or asymptomatic) may take it back to family who may be retirees, cancer patients, or immune system patients.

And sometimes otherwise healthy non-elderly people get the virus and get really sick, maybe get put on a ventilator, and maybe die, or maybe have possibly long-lived health problems.

My daughter is a physician, my other daughter is a nurse (who does COVID testing on weekends). They tell me to socially distance, wear a mask, wash my hands, and have discouraged me from going back to the gym, or to church. Combined they have five health related college degrees (including an M.S. in public health, and, of course, an M.D.). I'm also pretty scientifically literate (two college degrees in science) myself. What they tell me is pretty much in line with what the medical and research professionals (NIH, CDC, WHO) now tell us.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Aug 21, 2020 at 04:20pm.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 12:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Testing And Contact Tracing ...

Quote:
You'd have to know you had the virus or exposed to be concerned about spreading it.
How would one know that one had the virus, or was exposed to the virus? One could be presymptomatic or asymptomatic. Testing (especially asymptomatic testing) and contact tracing isn't where it should be right now. People wait in line for hours to be tested (why my daughter, the nurse, volunteers to work at testing sites on her weekends), and people wait several days for the results. Under these conditions contact tracing is almost worthless.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Aug 21, 2020 at 01:38pm.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

We do have treatments out there. But the odds of avoiding it forever aren't good unless it fades out the way SARS-1 did. We get put in harm's way all the time. We lost two weeks of basketball in January because of flu. Again it's about managed risk 4/5 deaths are age 65+. 45-64 makes up nearly the rest with a less than 6000 of remaining age groups.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Well around here we don't go around making out with strangers. More urban areas might be used to people being on top of each other but around here we give people space.

In a normal year, you could pick out sick people or those susceptible by seeing a mask. Now everyone wears one .

We have personal delivery and shopper services everywhere so there isn't a reason why anyone that isn't a forgotten recluse to do without anything. Which outside of work, golf and basketball I'm a recluse.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 01:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
We do have treatments out there. But the odds of avoiding it forever aren't good unless it fades out the way SARS-1 did. We get put in harm's way all the time. We lost two weeks of basketball in January because of flu. Again it's about managed risk 4/5 deaths are age 65+. 45-64 makes up nearly the rest with a less than 6000 of remaining age groups.
The 45-64 age group makes up a significant percentage of high school officials in football and basketball. So even if high school sports do start up in the near future, there's a good chance a large number of officials will not make their services available.

Why do people always feel like they need to tell other adults that there are risks in life, like other adults are stupid and don't know that? Or like other adults have never taken risks and applied risk analysis to their decisions?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 01:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Science ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
... the "exaggerated peril" or "hoax" camp.
I'm really getting tired of people interviewed on television, or in the newspaper, who don't wear a mask and then cite that the purpose of a mask is to protect one's self, that masks can't filter out tiny virus particles, and that they should be able to control their own health.

They're partly correct, virus particles are extremely small, and masks can do very little (recent research shows that they can help a little) to protect one's self.

Why don't they get the real scientific reason for wearing a mask?

One wears a mask to protect others.

The mask can filter out the larger respiratory droplets exhaled, sneezed, or coughed out by those infected with the virus (many or whom may be presymptomatic or asymptomatic and not realize that they are infected).

Filtering out these larger respiratory droplets means that the virus particles within these larger respiratory droplets are also filtered out. Masks can decrease the virus particles from spreading to those are at high risk, or to healthy individuals who may then spread it to those at high risk.

These individuals show their scientific ignorance by falsely stating the purpose of masks. What else are they scientifically ignorant about?

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Aug 21, 2020 at 01:39pm.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 01:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Expendables ...

Quote:
... 4/5 deaths are age 65+. 45-64 makes up nearly the rest ...
That's me, and and a lot of other people. Are we expendable? Should we be ignored? Since we're going to die sooner rather than later just toss us to the side of the road like unwanted trash, or maybe put us on an iceberg and let us float away into oblivion.

Since masks do little (maybe some, but not a lot, may not stop the virus but may decrease the devastating effects of the virus) to protect us, we count on others to wear masks to protect us. It's the patriotic and caring thing to do.

Thank you for wearing a mask, even if it does fog up your glasses.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 22, 2020 at 01:19pm.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 01:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wouldn't It Be Nice (The Beach Boys, 1966) ...

Quote:
In a normal year, you could pick out sick people or those susceptible by seeing a mask.
It would be nice if we could all have such keen observational skills, seeing disease by just looking at somebody.

Reminds me of the movie cult classic They Live, where Rowdy Roddy Piper's character can identity disguised aliens by looking at them though special sunglasses.

Great movie. We'll never know why Rowdy Roddy Piper didn't get an Academy Award nomination.

If you haven't seen it, go down to your local Blockbuster Video and rent the VHS tape, and don't forget the microwaveable popcorn.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Aug 21, 2020 at 01:47pm.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 01:49pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post

Why do people always feel like they need to tell other adults that there are risks in life, like other adults are stupid and don't know that? Or like other adults have never taken risks and applied risk analysis to their decisions?

I get what you are saying, but there are numerous studies indicating that the vast majority of adult Americans are mathematically illiterate, especially in their understanding and knowledge of statistics. In fact there was recently a study published (researchers from Stanford) showing that most Americans significantly overestimate their chances of getting infected and of having serious coronavirus related illness or death. There study shows the reasons for this are math illiteracy, mass hysteria in the news media, and government actions are the leading causes of the overestimation. Unfortunately, most American adults are stupid when it comes to math-related issues. I do agree that most people do not want to have other people they do not know telling them what they should or should not be doing.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 01:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It would be nice if we could all have such keen observational skills, seeing disease by just looking at somebody.

Reminds me of the movie cult classic They Live, where Rowdy Roddy Piper's character can identity disguised aliens by looking at them though special sunglasses.

Great movie. We'll never know why Rowdy Roddy Piper didn't get an Academy Award nomination.

I hate myself for dropping into your off topic valley, but I was trying to think of the name of that movie the other day after I saw his name in an article.

Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 01:55pm
beware big brother

Quote:
I'm really getting tired of people interviewed on television, or in the newspaper, who don't wear a mask and then cite that the purpose of a mask is to protect one's self, that masks can't filter out tiny virus particles, and that they should be able to control their own health.

They're partly correct, virus particles are extremely small, and masks can do very little (recent research shows that they can help a little) to protect one's self.

Why don't they get the real scientific reason for wearing a mask?

One wears a mask to protect others.

The mask can filter out the larger respiratory droplets exhaled, sneezed, or coughed out by those infected with the virus (many or whom may be presymptomatic or asymptomatic and not realize that they are infected).

Filtering out these larger respiratory droplets means that the virus particles within these larger respiratory droplets are also filtered out. Masks can decrease the virus particles from spreading to those are at high risk, or to healthy individuals who may then spread it to those at high risk.

These individuals show their scientific ignorance by falsely stating the purpose of masks. What else are they scientifically ignorant about?

It has also been shown that often times wearing masks actually increases the risk of becoming infected. Many people are under the false impression that wearing a mask is an extremely effective deterrent. If you are not wearing an N95 mask, then your mask is only a slightly effective deterrent. Hygiene, especially hand washing, social distancing, and not touching your face repeatedly are all much better deterrents than mask wearing. Unfortunately, because of the false sense of security people get while wearing a mask, they tend to exhibit more reckless behavior. They social distance less, they wash or sanitize their hands less often, and touch their faces much more often. Combined these increased bad behaviors often outweigh any benefit derived from wearing the mask in the first place.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2020, 01:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stay Away ...

Quote:
We don't wear badges that identify us as such. How would you possibly know to avoid us?