The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 14, 2020, 07:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

College 28 Foot Hash Mark ...

I watched an IAABO Zoom presentation tonight, featuring a college official regarding college mechanics and positioning that included many references to the 28 foot hash mark which is actually painted inbounds on the college court.

Why is there a 28 foot hash mark painted inbounds on the college court?

NFHS did away with all rules (delay of game, five second closely guarded, etc.) needing the 28 foot hash mark painted inbounds on the high school court many, many years ago.

I realize the need for a coaching box 28 foot hash mark painted out of bounds on the college (or a high school) court.

My question is about the 28 foot hash mark painted inbounds on the college court.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 15, 2020 at 10:18am.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2020, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

I have wondered this myself at times.

While we’re on the subject, why are base coaching boxes still painted on baseball diamonds? No one ever actually stands in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Sep 14, 2020, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I have wondered this myself at times.

While we’re on the subject, why are base coaching boxes still painted on baseball diamonds? No one ever actually stands in them.

They don’t stand in them on a basketball court either.

Old Mon Sep 14, 2020, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

The 28-foot marks (there’s supposed to be a small tickmark opposite table, also) are two of the four throw-in spots for all frontcourt throw-ins (except OOB) in NCAA-M.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2020, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
They don’t stand in them on a basketball court either.

They do in my games.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2020, 10:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

There is no reason given in the rules, but it is on the diagram for required markings.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

I *think* it was put there so officials could more easily see when the coach was beyond the (old) coaching box -- and today, maybe, so officials can more easily see when others are beyond the bench area.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 08:12am
Do not give a damn!!

Isn't the coaching box supposed to be within the 28-foot mark and the end line if used?

Peace
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Isn't the coaching box supposed to be within the 28-foot mark and the end line if used?

Peace
NCAAW (and I thought NCAAM, but I don't know) expanded the coaching box (but not he bench area) to 38' a few years ago. There's a separate line on the floor for that.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 10:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

Citation Please ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Why is there a 28 foot hash mark painted inbounds on the college court?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The 28-foot marks (there’s supposed to be a small tickmark opposite table, also) are two of the four throw-in spots for all frontcourt throw-ins (except OOB) in NCAA-M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There is no reason given in the rules, but it is on the diagram for required markings.
One reply that states that there are such NCAA rules, another reply that says that there aren't such NCAA rules.

SC Official: Can you please cite the NCAA rule?

I've found NCAA basketball court diagrams online that only show these inbound hash marks only on the table side. If they are used as four different throwin spots, shouldn't they be on both sides of the court?

And if they're throwin spots, shouldn't they be out of bounds?

Quote:
NFHS did away with all rules (delay of game, five second closely guarded, etc.) needing the 28 foot hash mark painted inbounds on the high school court many, many years ago.
Young'uns: Back in ancient times, these four hash marks had a real purpose in high school games.

One was regarding a five second closely guarded count. If a dribbler was close to a five second closely guarded dribbling count violation he could get a new count by dribbling forward past the 28 foot hash mark extended. Under certain conditions, between holding and dribbling a ball handler could avoid a closely guarded violation for up to sixteen seconds (unlike today's twelve seconds).

Another was for delay of game. Under certain conditions, stalling offensive teams were required to move the ball past the 28 foot hash mark extended, and stalling defensive teams were required to come out and play defense (closely guarded) past the 28 foot hash mark extended.

There's a lot more to the ancient times delay of game rule. I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying by shortly to give us all the details.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. is #5, he's not the fastest moseyer in the West. But isn't that the point of moseying? He may actually be "winning" the race.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 15, 2020 at 01:04pm.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 10:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
NCAAW (and I thought NCAAM, but I don't know) expanded the coaching box (but not he bench area) to 38' a few years ago. There's a separate line on the floor for that.
Yes, but I was not talking about the NF Rule. I thought he was asking is why there is a 28-foot mark for high school.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
One reply that states that there are such NCAA rules, another reply that says that there aren't such NCAA rules.

SC Official: Can you please cite the NCAA rule?

I've found NCAA basketball court diagrams online that only show these inbound hash marks only on the table side. If they are used as four different throwin spots, shouldn't they be on both sides of the court?
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/cha...urtDiagram.pdf

This is the most recent NCAA court diagram. You can see that there is a smaller 28-foot tickmark opposite table. You can also see the two tickmarks on the endline. Those three marks along with the "big" 28-foot line tableside are the four throw-in spots for all frontcourt throw-ins except those after OOB violations.

I don't have time to scour the book but if you want to read more about the lines of demarcation and the throw-in spots you can look in Rule 7.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 10:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Vestigial Hash Marks ...

Quote:
Here in my little corner of Connecticut, I occasionally see some 28 foot hash marks inbounds on high school courts, often on middle school courts.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 15, 2020 at 01:04pm.
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 10:41am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Lower Defensive Box ...

Quote:
You can also see the two tickmarks on the endline. Those three marks along with the "big" 28-foot line tableside are the four throw-in spots for all frontcourt throw-ins except those after OOB violations ...
So these endline tickmarks have a throwin purpose? I thought they were for the Lower Defensive Box used in NCAA women's rules.

The Lower Defensive Box also referred to as the LDB is an imaginary box on the floor that uses four marks the two tick marks on the endline and both second Lane space marks on the free-throw Lane as reference points this box is used to determine a player control or blocking foul on a secondary defender located in the restricted area when a player with the ball starts her move from within the LDB there is no restricted area otherwise when a player with the ball starts her move from outside the LDB the restricted area rule is still in effect.

Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 10:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

Consistent Throwin Spots ...

Quote:
I don't have time to scour the book but if you want to read more about the lines of demarcation and the throw-in spots you can look in Rule 7.
Thanks SC Official.

2017-18 NCAA Rule Changes: Fans will notice that throw-in spots will occur from more consistent spots in the frontcourt when the offensive team retains possession after a nonshooting foul or other stoppages in the game.

The location of all throw-ins in the frontcourt will be determined by an imaginary line drawn from the corner of the court to the intersection of the lane line and the free-throw line. If the stoppage of play is inside this area, the throw-in will occur on the end line 3 feet outside the lane line.

If the stoppage occurs outside this area, the throw-in will be at the nearer sideline at the 28-foot mark. Deflections will continue to be put back in play at the nearest out-of-bounds spot. Throw-ins in the back court will continue to be at the nearest spot.