View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 15, 2020, 10:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

Citation Please ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Why is there a 28 foot hash mark painted inbounds on the college court?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The 28-foot marks (there’s supposed to be a small tickmark opposite table, also) are two of the four throw-in spots for all frontcourt throw-ins (except OOB) in NCAA-M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There is no reason given in the rules, but it is on the diagram for required markings.
One reply that states that there are such NCAA rules, another reply that says that there aren't such NCAA rules.

SC Official: Can you please cite the NCAA rule?

I've found NCAA basketball court diagrams online that only show these inbound hash marks only on the table side. If they are used as four different throwin spots, shouldn't they be on both sides of the court?

And if they're throwin spots, shouldn't they be out of bounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
NFHS did away with all rules (delay of game, five second closely guarded, etc.) needing the 28 foot hash mark painted inbounds on the high school court many, many years ago.
Young'uns: Back in ancient times, these four hash marks had a real purpose in high school games.

One was regarding a five second closely guarded count. If a dribbler was close to a five second closely guarded dribbling count violation he could get a new count by dribbling forward past the 28 foot hash mark extended. Under certain conditions, between holding and dribbling a ball handler could avoid a closely guarded violation for up to sixteen seconds (unlike today's twelve seconds).

Another was for delay of game. Under certain conditions, stalling offensive teams were required to move the ball past the 28 foot hash mark extended, and stalling defensive teams were required to come out and play defense (closely guarded) past the 28 foot hash mark extended.

There's a lot more to the ancient times delay of game rule. I'm sure that Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying by shortly to give us all the details.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. is #5, he's not the fastest moseyer in the West. But isn't that the point of moseying? He may actually be "winning" the race.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 15, 2020 at 01:04pm.