The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

More evidence that the COLLEGE part of college athletics is a farce

Ben Simmons of LSU Tigers ineligible for Wooden Award

One should ask why the heck is he eligible to play?
Also, with his godfather being an asst coach, there couldn't have been any undue influence in recruiting!

Another part of the article:
"This is not the first time a player has been ineligible for the award. Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim wrote in his recent book that Carmelo Anthony was disqualified from the Wooden Award in 2002-03 because he had a 1.8 GPA in the first semester."
Yet Carmelo was eligible to play in the second semester and win the National Championship. :Rolleyes: Boeheim has been cheating for years, and he's not the only one.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 02:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

OK, this is one kid. Not everyone is going to be the top pick or is said to be a top pick.

Actually this says more about this kid and the program of LSU than anything.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone think that Lamar Odom was academically eligible at Rhode Island under Jim Harrick? Please.

I can also tell everyone that Allen Iverson withdrew from all of his classes the day after Georgetown was eliminated from the NCAA tournament in 1996.

The NCAA should penalize schools for garbage like that.

Now that the D-League exists, I'm more convinced than ever that scholarships should be a two year commitment and the school should lose it for the next two years if the player departs with less than acceptable academics during/after that time.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 03:31pm
High Five Master

I really wish college basketball had the NFL model of staying 3 years. I don't care what the financial logistics and legalities are or would be, just would love it. I'm a fan and think it would do wonders for the game. Plus, I like watching players "grow up" at college, no matter what jersey they wear.

As far as the issue in the OP, yes, I do wish there was more focus on the student aspect of being a student athlete.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 04:29pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

First, I don't think it's cheating if they're following the rules as written, even if the rules are absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Anyone think that Lamar Odom was academically eligible at Rhode Island under Jim Harrick? Please.

I can also tell everyone that Allen Iverson withdrew from all of his classes the day after Georgetown was eliminated from the NCAA tournament in 1996.

Now that the D-League exists, I'm more convinced than ever that scholarships should be a two year commitment and the school should lose it for the next two years if the player departs with less than acceptable academics during/after that time.
I'd love to see this, but I find the D-league irrelevant. Even if they didn't have it, I'd still support the change you suggest and would think the NBA should develop their own players who aren't college material.

I'd like to see them simply tie up the scholarship for 3 years every time they sign a kid. If he leaves early, that scholarship is still tied up. They could perhaps allow for some exceptions such as a limited number of transfers, injury, etc.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 05:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

It's a small percentage of the overall college basketball landscape.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 05:35pm
High Five Master

More evidence that the COLLEGE part of college athletics is a farce

It may be a small percentage but its the percentage that is the face of the game. It's a problem and one that should be at least addressed, if not a serious attempt to fix. I understand the notion that it's only a few guys but when is the last time ESPN didn't mention Simmons on a broadcast? He only needs a 2.0 to be eligible for the award. Seriously, a fricking C avg? That's just not even trying bc he knows he is gone
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 06:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
It may be a small percentage but its the percentage that is the face of the game. It's a problem and one that should be at least addressed, if not a serious attempt to fix. I understand the notion that it's only a few guys but when is the last time ESPN didn't mention Simmons on a broadcast? He only needs a 2.0 to be eligible for the award. Seriously, a fricking C avg? That's just not even trying bc he knows he is gone
It's not the face of the game for us officials. The overwhelming majority of college officials work games involving true student-athletes.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 06:30pm
High Five Master

I realize this is an officiating board but this thread and this topic have zilch to do with officiating. Not to mention, how could you ever know the truth about that? You take report cards at captains meetings?

I agreed that it's likely a small percentage, but again, it's a percentage that matters.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 06:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

That is between those individuals and their schools and coaches. I do not care who went to class or took advantage of their opportunity. The vast majority of the players graduating are not going to ever be an NBA player. If you are not drafted in the first round or drafted in the top 30, you are not guaranteed anything at that level.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 06:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It's not the face of the game for us officials. The overwhelming majority of college officials work games involving true student-athletes.
I am not sure I have ever officiated a single kid that even made the NBA at the college ranks. HS, I have had maybe two.

Peace
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 08:47pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I realize this is an officiating board but this thread and this topic have zilch to do with officiating. Not to mention, how could you ever know the truth about that? You take report cards at captains meetings?
Because I've seen plenty of players in the college games I officiate sitting on the bench in street clothes due to academic suspensions. Just because you don't have personal knowledge don't be so smug to think others don't.

I'm speaking from personal knowledge and experience, not from newspaper articles and ESPN reports. I'm not a consumed fan of the sport.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 09:04pm
High Five Master

Calling me a fanboy, which is a helm I proudly wear, in addition to being an official, doesn't change the issue. Academics in college sports should matter. But first you say it's a small percentage and now you've seen plenty of players on bench because of this very reason? You are contradicting yourself. You being a college ref and myself not the same has nothing to do with it. I find it sad that the threshold for this award is a 2.0 and there are those that are big time players who can't even be bothered to attain that mark.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 10:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Calling me a fanboy, which is a helm I proudly wear, in addition to being an official, doesn't change the issue. Academics in college sports should matter. But first you say it's a small percentage and now you've seen plenty of players on bench because of this very reason? You are contradicting yourself. You being a college ref and myself not the same has nothing to do with it. I find it sad that the threshold for this award is a 2.0 and there are those that are big time players who can't even be bothered to attain that mark.
I'm not sure what's raised your ire here.

He's saying that the vast majority of college athletics are not marred by this sort of stuff. In the vast majority of college programs, players will be sat down if they aren't eligible. THAT is BNR's point.
Old Sat Mar 05, 2016, 10:10pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... But first you say it's a small percentage and now you've seen plenty of players on bench because of this very reason? You are contradicting yourself. You being a college ref and myself not the same has nothing to do with it. ...
And it is still a small percentage; when true student-athletes aren't cutting the grade they get sat down. One-and-done schools are an extremely small percentage of college basketball. College basketball is a business to me, and I have business-like discussions with others involved in the sport. So yeah, it does make a difference that I am involved in the business of college basketball and you have no association with college basketball other than being a fan.

Last edited by Raymond; Sun Mar 06, 2016 at 02:22am.