Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 22, 2020, 02:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Hey, it was for the young'uns.
Many of us are older than you think. I am in my late 40s and if you have to post something that only someone much younger would know, then you are not doing a good job explaining. Man, when is it going to stop?

Peace
Old Tue Sep 22, 2020, 02:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Secret Agent 86 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Many of us are older than you think ...
While true, I'm wasn't sure that many younger Forum members would "get" Mregor's Get Smart reference to, "Ahh, the old ...", without some "boomer splaining".

However, I did initially forget about the 2008 Get Smart movie with Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway that included Maxwell Smart's "The old "Call Forwarding From the Shoe phone to the Cell phone so you don't know Where I am and then I appear on the Roof behind you and Surprise everyone" trick".

Many long-lived, funny, catch phrases came out of the original television show, unfortunately probably not long-lived enough to survive the eventual demise of the boomers, but reruns could possibly keep these catch phrases alive for continued enjoyment by additional generations.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 22, 2020 at 03:05pm.
Old Tue Sep 22, 2020, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Why don't you stop before posting and think if your words really advance the discussion? Many of your posts, especially the ones with graphics, puerile and inane; they are simply not amusing.
Old Tue Sep 22, 2020, 05:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Off-Season ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Why don't you stop before posting and think if your words really advance the discussion?
During these off-season times, I would love to post about basketball officiating, but there was little need, especially with off-season AAU seemingly being curtailed, probably due to COVID.

Even though I have often participated, I'm getting tired and worn down posting about COVID and social justice because these topics can be construed as political, and I normally don't "do" political online (other than the Forum, I really have no social media presence, i.e., no Facebook, no Twitter etc.), unless I'm pushed into it by a need for a "science" guy, or by things I've learned participating in my church's Prison Ministry (and my research/reading for such).

My slightly, or not so slightly, off-topic posts (often responding to another member's post) are distractions for me instead of posting about COVID and social justice, with their often inherently negative "vibs".

During these COVID "plague" times, many of us could use some occasional "lighter" distractions.

As basketball season approaches (hopefully) my posts will definitely be more on basketball officiating topics.

I have three days with four sessions of the IAABO Virtual Fall Seminar (was supposed to be in Connecticut this year) later this week, and I pick up my 2020-21 NFHS Rulebook and IAABO Mechanics Manual next week.

Maybe then I'll have something much more worthwhile to share.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 22, 2020 at 05:49pm.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2020, 11:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
While true, I'm wasn't sure that many younger Forum members would "get" Mregor's Get Smart reference to, "Ahh, the old ...", without some "boomer splaining".

However, I did initially forget about the 2008 Get Smart movie with Steve Carell and Anne Hathaway that included Maxwell Smart's "The old "Call Forwarding From the Shoe phone to the Cell phone so you don't know Where I am and then I appear on the Roof behind you and Surprise everyone" trick".

Many long-lived, funny, catch phrases came out of the original television show, unfortunately probably not long-lived enough to survive the eventual demise of the boomers, but reruns could possibly keep these catch phrases alive for continued enjoyment by additional generations.
Younger people are not clamoring for these references. And if you have to keep explaining them with a post that has nothing to do with the post, then use better references. The recent movie is 12 years ago. I do not even remember the movie and did not see it. It has nothing to do with today or the topic. Stop it already!!!! I know I am older and I make references about old things on purpose, but I do that to get my wife's attention because she knows what I am talking about. I am not trying to reach some 20-year old or my son in the conversation. The average age of officials where I live in in their 50s right now.

If I am talking to a group of people that are much younger than me, I make references to things they would know. It is not helping and we keep saying this to you and you give some lame reason for why we should tolerate it. And it might not be so annoyng if it was not often a constant back and forth with yourself.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 23, 2020, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

OK Boomer ...

Quote:
Younger people are not clamoring for these references ... If I am talking to a group of people that are much younger than me, I make references to things they would know ...
Agree, not clamoring, but a few may be somewhat curious.

Mregor, not me, made the original "things young'uns may not know" (Get Smart) reference, I was just "boomer splaining" the reference.

Wait? Did Mregor, knowing my weaknesses, set me up?

Is this all just a big conspiracy to get BillyMac suspended from the Forum again?

And why am I referring to myself in the third person?

Quote:
... a constant back and forth with yourself ...
So that's why I hear voices. I'm listening to myself.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 23, 2020 at 12:30pm.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2020, 12:49pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Agree, not clamoring, but a few may be somewhat curious.

Mregor, not me, made the original "things young'uns may not know" (Get Smart) reference, I was just "boomer splaining" the reference.

Wait? Did Mregor, knowing my weaknesses, set me up?

Is this all just a big conspiracy to get BillyMac suspended from the Forum again?

And why am I referring to myself in the third person?

So that's why I hear voices. I'm listening to myself.
If someone was always saying in the post they did not know the refernece that would be one thing. Don't see those posts.

No one trying to suspend you or get you suspended. But I do think this site has fallen and one of the reasons is the things we talk about or do not talk about and these post from you are not helping. Just my opinion. It is not like you are going to do anything about it.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 23, 2020, 01:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dip In The Quantity ...

Quote:
If someone was always saying in the post they did not know the reference that would be one thing. Don't see those posts.
Because one doesn't know what one doesn't know. I can't see a young'un thinking, "Why did Mregor use the phrase "Ahh, the old ...?", and then asking about it. Because I'm old, and watched a lot of television as a kid, I know exactly why he used that phrase.

Quote:
No one trying to suspend you or get you suspended.
Just kidding (I hope). But I still think that Mregor, knowing my weaknesses, was trying to set me up.

Quote:
But I do think this site has fallen and one of the reasons is the things we talk about or do not talk about ...
I noticed a dip in the quantity, but fortunately not the quality, of Forum posts over the past two seasons, well before the COVID "plague". Some high quantity and/or high quality Forum posters seem to have "retired" from the Forum, maybe because they have retired from officiating basketball, or because they have moved up to that great basketball court in the sky.

Also noticed, much to my personal dismay (one college game in forty years), a slight shift more toward college rules and mechanics compared to high school rules and mechanics.

Is this Forum still the best place to get great information about basketball officiating? I haven't looked lately but when I discovered and then later joined this site fifteen years ago that was certainly the case.

Or maybe the Russians, or the Chinese, are manipulating Google searches so that the Forum isn't listed as a top search result when someone, official or non-official, searches a basketball officiating question? Yeah, that's gotta be it.

Even long after I hang up my whistle (let's see how I do wearing both an ankle brace and a knee brace in my middle school games this winter), I still plan to continue my membership on my local board (main reason why I recently volunteered and was selected for a training committee), and to keep posting, and learning, on the Forum.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 23, 2020 at 02:11pm.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2020, 04:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Also noticed, much to my personal dismay (one college game in forty years), a slight shift more toward college rules and mechanics compared to high school rules and mechanics.
I will say this and let it go. The game has been that way ever since I played over 30 years ago. When the 3 point line was implemented in high school, the college game did it either the same year or the year before. That has been the same as an official for the last 25 years or so I have been officiating. Just about ever new mechanic or philosophy came from another level. The game does not just change at the NBA or college level, it changes at all levels. Three point shooting is a thing no matter what the level. No one plays a post game like they used to.

Quote:
Is this Forum still the best place to get great information about basketball officiating? I haven't looked lately but when I discovered and then later joined this site fifteen years ago that was certainly the case.
Not even close. Too many other forums and outlets of information and right or wrong this type of forum is going by the waist side. This forum has been around since the mid-90s in some form. Not many people do this kind of site at all like once was.

Quote:
Even long after I hang up my whistle (let's see how I do wearing both an ankle brace and a knee brace in my middle school games this winter), I still plan to continue my membership on my local board (main reason why I recently volunteered and was selected for a training committee), and to keep posting, and learning, on the Forum.
Good and stay engaged, but you will lose people if you always make those kinds of jokes that you have to explain. Just an opinion.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 23, 2020, 05:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Water Flows Downhill ...

Quote:
The game has been that way ever since I played over 30 years ago. When the 3 point line was implemented in high school, the college game did it either the same year or the year before. That has been the same as an official for the last 25 years or so I have been officiating. Just about ever new mechanic or philosophy came from another level. The game does not just change at the NBA or college level, it changes at all levels. Three point shooting is a thing no matter what the level. No one plays a post game like they used to.
100% agree with you (water flows downhill), but I guess that I didn't do a very good job explaining myself.

I wasn't referring to the game, or the rules, or the mechanics themselves.

What I meant to say was that the Forum website itself has become slightly less high school oriented and slightly more college oriented over the past few years.

While I do have a passing curiosity about college rules and mechanics (see this thread title and my first post), high school blood runs through my officiating veins.

Be safe.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 24, 2020 at 11:59am.
Old Wed Sep 23, 2020, 06:04pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Or maybe the Russians, or the Chinese, are manipulating Google searches so that the Forum isn't listed as a top search result when someone, official or non-official, searches a basketball officiating question? Yeah, that's gotta be it.
Facebook has a lot of basketball officiating groups now that include a lot more video and also participation by NBA and Division 1 basketball officials. The former men's NCAA Division 1 supervisor participates in one or two of these groups. They have moderators who are less tolerant of off-topic discussions, posts, and replies. At least one of those groups is run by somebody who no longer posts here. I don't participate in that group because he's a d!ck head.

Jeff also has his own group on Facebook, which is almost all completely video driven. People in these different groups are usually expected the answer per their level of officiating or rule set. There is one Facebook group that says they are specifically targeting NFHS rules.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Wed Sep 23, 2020, 06:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Eaten Alive ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Facebook has a lot of basketball officiating groups now that include a lot more video and also participation by NBA and Division 1 basketball officials. The former men's NCAA Division 1 supervisor participates in one or two of these groups. They have moderators who are less tolerant of off-topic discussions, posts, and replies. At least one of those groups is run by somebody who no longer posts here ... Jeff also has his own group on Facebook, which is almost all completely video driven. People in these different groups are usually expected the answer per their level of officiating or rule set. There is one Facebook group that says they are specifically targeting NFHS rules.
So your'e saying that The Forum is no longer (maybe never was) the best of the best?

I may have to join Facebook. Really don't want to, already spend way too much time on my computer for basketball, kayaking, backyard chickens, and my prison ministry.

Funny thing is both my son and daughter-in-law teach classes in social media, my son at Syracuse in the Sociology Department, and my daughter-in-law at Hofstra in the Journalism Department.

Quote:
I don't participate in that group because he's a d!ck head.
Both my son and daughter-in-law have advised me to stay away from Facebook because they believe that I'm too polite and that I would get eaten alive.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 24, 2020 at 10:18am.
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 12:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I don't participate in that group because he's a d!ck head.
And always has been one. IJS.

Peace