Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 01, 2020, 10:46am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
... NFHS case 4.15.4 Sit E.
4.15.4 SITUATION E: While A1 is dribbling in A’s backcourt, the ball legally touches B1’s leg, causing it to bounce away from A1. A1 quickly recovers the ball with two hands and then starts another dribble. RULING: Legal. The touch by B1 ended the original dribble and A1 could then recover and dribble again. However, the touch by B1 did not end team control and the 10-second backcourt count continues. (9-5-2)

9-5-2: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of: A touch by an opponent.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 01, 2020 at 11:00am.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2020, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

9-5-2: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of: A touch by an opponent.
9-3 ... a pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched, by another player

So, it comes down to whether an interrupted dribble and a fumble are (or should be) treated the same in these situations. The definitions are nearly identical.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2020, 11:48am
Esteemed Forum Member

Grasp ... ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
9-3 ... a pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched, by another player

So, it comes down to whether an interrupted dribble and a fumble are (or should be) treated the same in these situations. The definitions are nearly identical.
4-21: A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball
unintentionally drops or slips from a player’s grasp.

4-15-5: An interrupted dribble occurs when the ball is loose after
deflecting off the dribbler or after it momentarily gets away from the
dribbler. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble.

A fumble involves a "player's grasp", an interrupted dribble doesn't.

I don't see any "grasp" in this situation (the dribbled ball ball deflects off his shoe), until the very end, which is irrelevant.

Quote:
A1 loses control of the ball as a result his own ineptitude (ball deflects off his shoe) which results in an interrupted dribble. Ball legally touches opponent B2's leg. A1 picks up (catches) the loose ball after it touches B2? Can A1 legally start a new dribble?
I believe that Raymond hit the ball out of the park:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
That's probably how most of us have officiated it, but it's not what the rule book says.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 01, 2020 at 01:48pm.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2020, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Yea, all that makes sense. Now, what if someone holding the ball fumbles it as they begin their initial dribble? Is that to be considered a fumble, as the ball came from the player's grasp, or is it considered to be an interrupted dribble, as the ball got away from the player while attempting to dribble?

Is there anything anywhere that defines or recognizes an interrupted dribble as only being part of action whereby someone has already dribbled at least once? It probably does not matter as it comes down to how you judge the action.

A dribble is an intentional act while a fumble is an unintentional act. If a player begins an initial dribble (intentional act) and it becomes an interrupted dribble that hits a teammate, then they can recover, but not dribble again. If a player, who has not dribbled yet, fumbles (unintentional act) the ball and it hits a teammate, then they can recover and dribble. Agree?

I hope I never have this play happen:

A1 inbounds the ball to A2 in Team A's BC under heavy, full court pressure. A2 attempts a high, cross-court pass that hits Team B's backboard. The ball rebounds and deflects off A1 (who had stepped inbounds), A3, A4, and A5, before being controlled by A2. A2 dribbles and is called for illegal dribble. Doesn't seem right does it?
Old Sun Mar 01, 2020, 04:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fumble ...

Quote:
... someone holding the ball fumbles it as they begin their initial dribble? Is that to be considered a fumble, as the ball came from the player's grasp ...?
Yes, assuming that at one point that he had it in his grasp (players can start dribbles in other ways).

4-21: A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball
unintentionally drops or slips from a player’s grasp.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 01, 2020 at 04:13pm.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2020, 04:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Part Of A Dribble ...

Quote:
A1 inbounds the ball to A2 in Team A's BC under heavy, full court pressure. A2 attempts a high, cross-court pass that hits Team B's backboard. The ball rebounds and deflects off A1 (who had stepped inbounds), A3, A4, and A5, before being controlled by A2. A2 dribbles and is called for illegal dribble.
A2 throwing the ball and hitting Team B's backboard is considered to be part of a dribble.

In a real game, and with A2's "passed" ball hitting Team B's backboard (that alone would be surprising), and then the ball ricocheting off of several players, I would have probably forgotten that A2 had already dribbled once.

Basketball Rules Fundamentals
19. A ball which touches the front face or edges of the backboard is treated
the same as touching the floor inbounds, except that when the ball touches
the thrower’s backboard, it does not constitute a part of a dribble.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Mar 01, 2020 at 06:35pm.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2020, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I would have probably forgotten that A2 had already dribbled once.
Not after this thread.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2020, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, thanks all. Very helpful and educational.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2020, 12:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No, Thank You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefBob View Post
Wow, thanks all. Very helpful and educational.
Hey, it was your thread RefBob.

And it was Raymond who put the game away by hitting a home run.

Old Mon Mar 02, 2020, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

A little off topic, but would like a confirmation. If A1 has ended dribble with both hands. Throws ball at opponents foot intentionally and recovers the ball after contact on B2. Can A1 still dribble? Does that qualify as a pass that was in contact with an opponent?
Old Mon Mar 02, 2020, 07:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonsi View Post
A little off topic, but would like a confirmation. If A1 has ended dribble with both hands. Throws ball at opponents foot intentionally and recovers the ball after contact on B2. Can A1 still dribble? Does that qualify as a pass that was in contact with an opponent?
Yes. 9-5-3

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Mar 03, 2020, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Found this:

24-7

Example: A1 ends his dribble and deliberately throws the ball on B1 leg. A1 catches the ball and begins to dribble again.

Interpretation: A1 double dribble violation. A1 dribble has ended as the ball was not touched by B1. It was the ball which has touched B1.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2020, 08:49am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Found this:

24-7

Example: A1 ends his dribble and deliberately throws the ball on B1 leg. A1 catches the ball and begins to dribble again.

Interpretation: A1 double dribble violation. A1 dribble has ended as the ball was not touched by B1. It was the ball which has touched B1.
What or where is your reference from?

Rule 9-5-3 directly contradicts what you just posted. Billy posted 9-5-3 above. The case book also directly contradicts what you posted.

9.5.3 SITUATION:

A1 is dribbling in backcourt and ends the dribble, but defensive pressure prevents a pass to A2. A1 then passes the ball so it touches B1. A1 recovers the loose ball in backcourt and dribbles again.

RULING: No violation. When A1's pass was touched by, or touched, another player, he/she may start a new dribble. The 10-second backcourt count continues.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Mar 03, 2020 at 08:53am.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2020, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Found this:

24-7

That must be a FIBA interp.

Does FIBA allow this type of play on a throw-in? It would seem to me that the interp should be the same (or follow the same logic).
Old Tue Mar 03, 2020, 12:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Just When We Thought We Had It All Figured Out ...

Quote:
24-7 Example: A1 ends his dribble and deliberately throws the ball on B1 leg. A1 catches the ball and begins to dribble again. Interpretation: A1 double dribble violation. A1 dribble has ended as the ball was not touched by B1. It was the ball which has touched B1.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 03, 2020 at 12:54pm.