The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 23, 2020, 03:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Wrongs ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm pretty sure that most of the time the mistake is recognized before the throw-in ends, even if the whistle isn't blown until after the throw-in ends. That meets the spirit of the rule.
Even so, I'm not sure that I would reset the clock.

If two wrongs make a right, do three wrongs make everything perfectly right?

What's the "wrong" limit? Four wrongs?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 23, 2020 at 03:37pm.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2020, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

All of this could be avoided if they'd just get rid of the arrow and go back to jump balls.
Old Sun Feb 23, 2020, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

All of this could be avoided with a good pregame.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2020, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

All of this could be avoided if they disabled the internet.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2020, 12:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Preemptive To Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.: Shut Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
All of this could be avoided if they'd just get rid of the arrow and go back to jump balls.
Blue font? Are you yanking my chain? Well consider it yanked.

I hate jump balls.

Too many rules for a once per game situation. Jumpers. Nonjumpers. On the circle. Off the circle. Before the toss. After the toss. Before the touch. After the touch.

Yada. Yada. Yada.

Back in ancient times, when there were almost a dozen jump balls in a game, at three different jump ball circles, players, coaches, and officials all knew the jump ball rules like the backs of their hands.

Now jump balls are like the Wild Wild West. Everything and anything goes. Toss the ball, pray that things go well, and pray that nobody notices if things don't go well.

Just give the damn ball to the visitors and use the alternating possession arrow for the rest of the game, including overtime, as God intended when he created the alternating possession arrow on the eighth day.

Forget about Dr. Naismith and nostalgia. It’s the freaking twenty-first century.

We did away with the chicken wire around the court, let's also 86 the jump ball.

I’d better get off my soapbox, I’m getting dizzy up here.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Feb 24, 2020 at 03:51pm.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2020, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Blue font? Are you yanking my chain? Well consider it yanked.

I hate jump balls.

Too many rules for a once per game situation. Jumpers. Nonjumpers. On the circle. Off the circle. Before the toss. After the toss. Before the touch. After the touch.

Yada. Yada. Yada.

Back in ancient times, when there were almost a dozen jump balls in a game, at three different jump ball circles, players, coaches, and officials all knew the jump ball rules like the backs of their hands.

Now jump balls are like the Wild Wild West. Everything and anything goes. Toss the ball, pray that things go well, and pray that nobody notices if things don't go well.

Just give the damn ball to the visitors and use the alternating possession arrow for the rest of the game, including overtime, as God intended when he created the alternating possession arrow on the eighth day.

Forget about Dr. Naismith and nostalgia. It’s the freaking twenty-first century.

We did away with the chicken wire around the court, let's also 86 the jump ball.

I’d better get off my soapbox, I’m getting dizzy up here.
Hate to confuse this... BillyMac is my favorite post writer of all time...

ROFLMAO
Old Mon Feb 24, 2020, 10:35pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Middle schools almost never have alternating possession arrows at the table. I've had several occasions where as I'm about to hand the ball to the wrong team, maybe even having already handed the ball to the wrong team, and then the fans, coach, table, or partner (sometimes even a little bird in my own head) causes me to take pause, and even take the ball away from the inbounder.

I always appreciate help to prevent mistakes, especially mistakes by yours truly.

I do not know how it is in the Nutmeg State but here in the Buckeye State one will find an AP Arrow at the Scorer's Table at every M.S., Jr. H.S., and H.S. I can honestly say that I have never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) officiated a an OhioHSAA sanctioned game at a M.S., Jr. H.S., or H.S. that did not have an AP Arrow since the AP Rule was adopted.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Feb 24, 2020, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I do not know how it is in the Nutmeg State but here in the Buckeye State one will find an AP Arrow at the Scorer's Table at every M.S., Jr. H.S., and H.S. I can honestly say that I have never (with apologies to the late J. Dallas Shirley) officiated a an OhioHSAA sanctioned game at a M.S., Jr. H.S., or H.S. that did not have an AP Arrow since the AP Rule was adopted.

MTD, Sr.
"Middle schools almost never have alternating possession arrows at the table."

Agree, I find it hard to believe that it is rare that a MS table has an arrow. Do these same schools also have scoreboards without an A/P indicator.

And if there actually is not physical A/P device one can be configured in about 3 seconds or less. Just draw an arrow on a sheet of paper or, just use a pen/pencil, shoe, stapler, or anything else as your arrow. Sure those items can get dislodged/bumped but scorer should be recording it anyway. Additionally, the chances of a McGyver-made arrow getting moved at the table are as remote as the school not having one in the first place. Lastly, each official should be, in their own respective way, recording the A/P arrow, especially when at these school which are known to not have one.
Old Mon Feb 24, 2020, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
"Middle schools almost never have alternating possession arrows at the table."

Agree, I find it hard to believe that it is rare that a MS table has an arrow. Do these same schools also have scoreboards without an A/P indicator.

And if there actually is not physical A/P device one can be configured in about 3 seconds or less. Just draw an arrow on a sheet of paper or, just use a pen/pencil, shoe, stapler, or anything else as your arrow. Sure those items can get dislodged/bumped but scorer should be recording it anyway. Additionally, the chances of a McGyver-made arrow getting moved at the table are as remote as the school not having one in the first place. Lastly, each official should be, in their own respective way, recording the A/P arrow, especially when at these school which are known to not have one.
What BillyMac says of middle school tables is true in my area as well. Also, most of the scoreboards are old and either do not show possession or the operator has no clue how to post it.

I completely disagree with your statement that the officials should be recording the arrow. By rule, that is not our responsibility. If the scorer fails to track individual or team fouls, do you want the officials to keep those totals as well? Stop putting everything on the officials and let the other personnel handle their duties.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2020, 08:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
What BillyMac says of middle school tables is true in my area as well. Also, most of the scoreboards are old and either do not show possession or the operator has no clue how to post it.

I completely disagree with your statement that the officials should be recording the arrow. By rule, that is not our responsibility. If the scorer fails to track individual or team fouls, do you want the officials to keep those totals as well? Stop putting everything on the officials and let the other personnel handle their duties.
How much brain power does it take to remember the arrow? Seriously, it's not that hard and it prevents problems when you have tables that are less than stellar.

Guess what, I also keep track of team fouls, either by checking the scoreboard every time a foul is called or simply keeping track in my head.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2020, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
How much brain power does it take to remember the arrow? Seriously, it's not that hard and it prevents problems when you have tables that are less than stellar.

Guess what, I also keep track of team fouls, either by checking the scoreboard every time a foul is called or simply keeping track in my head.
I do the same thing as you and have been told by HS officials that it's "not our job."
Old Tue Feb 25, 2020, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

It's harder to continue to do at a MS game -- especially if it's girls and if you work two (or more) in a row.

Some of the games have more held balls than points (or so it seems)
Old Tue Feb 25, 2020, 09:53am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I do the same thing as you and have been told by HS officials that it's "not our job."
I was taught to do so by a high school trainer my first few years in officiating. She would come up to us in camp games during breaks and ask us the score, team fouls, and AP arrow. That person is now a college supervisor for two NCAA-Women's conferences, one D1 and one D2, after serving a few years as a Women's D1 regional observer.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Feb 25, 2020 at 09:55am.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2020, 10:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Braggart ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
... here in the Buckeye State one will find an AP Arrow at the Scorer's Table at every M.S., Jr. H.S., and H.S. I can honestly say that I have never officiated a an OhioHSAA sanctioned game at a M.S., Jr. H.S., or H.S. that did not have an AP Arrow since the AP Rule was adopted.

Old Tue Feb 25, 2020, 10:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

An Arrow By Any Other Name ...

(With apologies to William Shakespeare.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
And if there actually is not physical A/P device one can be configured in about 3 seconds or less. Just draw an arrow on a sheet of paper or, just use a pen/pencil, shoe, stapler, or anything else as your arrow. Sure those items can get dislodged/bumped but scorer should be recording it anyway. Additionally, the chances of a McGyver-made arrow getting moved at the table are as remote as the school not having one in the first place.
Agree, but we have a different solution. Here in my little corner of Connecticut, officials are strongly encouraged to keep some type of physical "arrow" on one's person, usually a whistle that changes pockets, sometimes an elastic band on one's wrist. We've been doing this since God created the alternating possession arrow on the eighth day.

It's our "Rome thing".

With one exception, all my middle school scorekeepers have been students, and I don't believe that any of them kept track of alternating possessions in the scorebook.

I worked an almost entire schedule of middle school games (post arthritis/bone spur) this year (one freshman game), at about a dozen and a half different middle schools and not one of them had a "real" arrow at the table. Alternating possession on the scoreboard? You've got to be kidding me (plus the NFHS states that the arrow on the scoreboard is irrelevant)? Not a single middle school had team fouls the scoreboard. One had one of those portable AAU-type scoreboards at the table.

"Is it one and one yet? Are you sure?" (knowing that it probably was).

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Feb 28, 2020 at 12:44pm.