The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 22, 2017, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Wrong Team Throw-in

First, let me apologize up front if this clip has already been discussed as I have been inactive this summer. I tried a search and found nothing, so assume that it hasn't. Came across this play and am curious as how people would rule. It has generated quite the discussion in my neck of the woods. The clip is here: [URL="https://youtu.be/9xvhuHdtlxQ"]
Old Fri Sep 22, 2017, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Well the throw in happened that shouldn't, the backcourt happened that shouldnt, and the points scored that shouldn't. 2 points for the white team and red team gets the ball OOB with the right to run the baseline.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2017, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZebra View Post
First, let me apologize up front if this clip has already been discussed as I have been inactive this summer. I tried a search and found nothing, so assume that it hasn't. Came across this play and am curious as how people would rule. It has generated quite the discussion in my neck of the woods. The clip is here: [URL="https://youtu.be/9xvhuHdtlxQ"]

Once the throw-in to the wrong team has ended, you just have to eat the mistake. However, Red then proceeded to go the wrong way and committed a backcourt violation that wasn't called before the ball next became dead. So now the crew has to eat that one, too. Finally, a live ball (not a try) enters White's basket, and then play is stopped. Once the dust settles, score two points for White, and Red gets a non-designated spot throw-in along the end line.

Some might say you should go back and enforce the Backcourt Violation after the fact, thereby cancelling the wrong basket basket. I would disagree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Fri Sep 22, 2017, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

FIBA Rules, you might go to:

16.2.3. If a player deliberately scores a field goal in his team’s basket, it is a violation and the goal does not count.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2017, 12:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

Excedrin Headache Number Eighteen ...

FIBA must not have the following rule: The playing of music/sound effects shall only be permitted during pregame, time-outs, intermission and post-game. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be prohibited.

Thank God I officiate under NFHS rules. It saves me a lot of money buying aspirin.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Sep 23, 2017, 07:28am
Official Forum Member

I didn't watch the clip, but is there a possibility of applying the "when the officials permit the teams to go the wrong way, all points shall count, and the officials sholl resume play with the teams pointed the right direction" rule?
Old Sat Sep 23, 2017, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I didn't watch the clip, but is there a possibility of applying the "when the officials permit the teams to go the wrong way, all points shall count, and the officials sholl resume play with the teams pointed the right direction" rule?
Well, this is exactly what our debate is over. We are split about 50-50 on that point with those arguing against stating that this took place with 3:12 minutes left in the third quarter. They also argue that 4-5-4 ("officials permit the teams...") falls under the heading "Basket,Choice". 4-5-3 of course covers the changing of baskets for the second half and the teams had been going in that direction for 4:48 minutes.

As a aside, can anyone give a short explanation on how I could have made the link clickable? Thanks.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2017, 10:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Roy "Wrong Way" Riegels ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
"when the officials permit the teams to go the wrong way, all points shall count, and the officials sholl resume play with the teams pointed the right direction"
Quote:
4-5-4 falls under the heading "Basket,Choice". 4-5-3 of course covers the changing of baskets for the second half .
Doesn't it also cover jump balls (start of game, extra periods)?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Sep 23, 2017 at 11:11am.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2017, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Doesn't it also cover jump balls (start of game, extra periods)?
Yes, but the actually wording regarding an officials mistake is located in 4-5-4.
Old Mon Sep 25, 2017, 07:38am
Courageous When Prudent

https://youtu.be/9xvhuHdtlxQ
Old Mon Sep 25, 2017, 07:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

As a aside, can anyone give a short explanation on how I could have made the link clickable? Thanks.
Use the hyperlink icon that is in the toolbar when you make a post.