The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

False double or simultaneous technical foul

B1 fouls A1 (non-shooting) B1 disrespects calling official and is given a technical foul. A3 steps toward B1 and taunts by clapping hands near B1's face and is also given a T. Should these technicals be treated as a false double or simultaneous?
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

In HS I would treat all these as separate fouls and administer in the order that they occurred.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

NCAA-M I'm treating these separately, as well. But since no dead ball contact is involved we would administer both T's first and then resume at the POI.

A gets two FTs for B1's T
B gets two FTs for A3's T
Resume play at POI, a throw-in for Team A.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 11:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

Order In The Court ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
In HS I would treat all these as separate fouls and administer in the order that they occurred.
Agree.

Basketball Rules Fundamentals
12. Penalties for fouls are administered in the order in which they occur.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 12:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Administered In The Order In Which They Occur ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyu2 View Post
B1 fouls A1 (non-shooting) B1 disrespects calling official and is given a technical foul. A3 steps toward B1 and taunts by clapping hands near B1's face and is also given a T.
In my high school game: Interpreting "B1 fouls A1 (non-shooting)" to mean that A1 is not in the act of shooting a field goal try:
1) A1 either doesn't shoot free throws, or shoots one and one, or shoots two free throws (depending on bonus situation), no rebounders if shooting free throws.
2) Any eligible Team A player shoots two free throws, no rebounders.
3) Any eligible Team B player shoots two free throws, no rebounders.
4) Team B gets throwin at division line opposite the table.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 14, 2021 at 04:20pm.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 01:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

A false double foul is separate events. You do not call them but they just happen and have their own penalty. They are not simultaneous in nature either.

The B1 foul of A1 and the A3 taunting B1 is really the only false double foul. The technical foul by B1 commenting to the officials is a separate event.

As stated all would have a separate penalty, but you never actually "call" a false foul, they happen by rule and just are made clear that one takes place and how to handle them. True double fouls go to the POI, not false fouls.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 01:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For The Good Of The Cause ...

4-19: ART. 9 A false double foul is a situation in which there are fouls by both teams, the second of which occurs before the clock is started following the first, and such that at least one of the attributes of a double foul is absent.

ART. 10 A simultaneous foul (personal or technical) by opponents is a situation in which there is a foul by both teams which occurs at approximately the same time, but are not committed by opponents against each other.

ART. 8 Double fouls:
a. A double personal foul is a situation in which two opponents commit personal fouls against each other at approximately the same time.
b. A double technical foul is a situation in which two opponents commit technical fouls against each other at approximately the same time.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 14, 2021 at 02:39pm.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
NCAA-M I'm treating these separately, as well. But since no dead ball contact is involved we would administer both T's first and then resume at the POI.

A gets two FTs for B1's T
B gets two FTs for A3's T
Resume play at POI, a throw-in for Team A.
NCAAW -- the dead ball fouls offset and we resume with A1 shooting FTs or having the ball for a throw-in (depending on bonus).

So, same situation, 3 different outcomes (and FIBA folksm or NBA folks) can weigh in for more.
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

False double or simultaneous technical foul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The B1 foul of A1 and the A3 taunting B1 is really the only false double foul. The technical foul by B1 commenting to the officials is a separate event.
So it really starts as a false multiple foul which is then augmented into a false triple-decker foul (with a side of mayo) when A3 brain farts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 14, 2021, 10:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
So it really starts as a false multiple foul which is then augmented into a false triple-decker foul (with a side of mayo) when A3 brain farts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are actually right. And all the "false" means is they is a separation between the fouls application and they carry their own penalty. I was not thinking false multiple, but also trying to stay away from multiple fouls.

Peace