The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 05:02am
This IS My Social Life

No Score and Basket Interference?

NFHS SITUATION: A1 dunks and his momentum carries him under the basket. The ball proceeds halfway through the net where it strikes A1 in the head and bounces upward and out of the ring to be rebounded by another player.
RULING: No score per 5-1-1 (score when passes through the basket) and 1-10-1 (definition of basket). Basket Interference per 4-6-1, "Basket interference occurs when a player...touches the ball...while the ball is ...within either basket."

Agree?

Last edited by Freddy; Fri Jan 17, 2020 at 05:30am.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 05:30am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
NFHS SITUATION: A1 dunks and his momentum carries him under the basket. The ball proceeds halfway through the net where it strikes A1 in the head and bounces upward and out of the ring to be rebounded by another player.
RULING: No score per 5-1-1 (score when passes through the basket) and 1-10-1 (definition of basket). Basket Interference per 4-6-1, "Basket interference occurs when a player...touches the ball...while the ball is ...within either basket."

Agree?
Like this, except ball strikes head of player who dunks . . .
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Agree?
Yep, that’s correct.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

No Net Required

Quote:
halfway through the net
The net is there so that we can see the ball has passed through the basket. If the ball has fallen all the way through the ring it is a basket, regardless of how far it has traveled through the net. So, in your scenario, the ball would still have to be within the ring when it hits the kid on the head for us to cancel the basket.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
The net is there so that we can see the ball has passed through the basket. If the ball has fallen all the way through the ring it is a basket, regardless of how far it has traveled through the net. So, in your scenario, the ball would still have to be within the ring when it hits the kid on the head for us to cancel the basket.

Reference please.

Here's the NCAAW basket definition; I'm confident that FED is at least substantially the same.

Art. 1. Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches inside
diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord, 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches
in length, suspended from beneath the ring.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 11:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Be A Plumber ...

Quote:
NFHS SITUATION: A1 dunks and his momentum carries him under the basket. The ball proceeds halfway through the net where it strikes A1 in the head and bounces upward and out of the ring to be rebounded by another player. RULING: No score per 5-1-1 (score when passes through the basket) and 1-10-1 (definition of basket). Basket Interference per 4-6-1, "Basket interference occurs when a player...touches the ball...while the ball is ...within either basket." Agree?
Yes, agree.

Freddy, has anybody ever told you that you have a weird mind?

I think it's from breathing in all those lead solder fumes over the years.

He comes up with the oddest plays.

He probably lays awake at night thinking of such plays, only getting up to watch Monty Python and the Holy Grail?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 17, 2020 at 12:00pm.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Rule 1-10-1:
Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in inside diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

No specific rule reference -- yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Reference please.

Here's the NCAAW basket definition; I'm confident that FED is at least substantially the same.

Art. 1. Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches inside
diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord, 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches
in length, suspended from beneath the ring.
Just as the flange and braces have no bearing on whether or not a basket is scored, neither does the net. While it is a part of the make up of the basket, it is the ring that determines when a basket is good just as it is only when the ball is touching the ring and not the flanges or net that count for basket interference (this is also why we do not stop the game when the net gets caught on the rim).

When I have time tonight I will check my rule book to see if I can find a specific reference but do not have them with me here at work.

Last edited by Rich1; Fri Jan 17, 2020 at 02:14pm.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 02:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Basket ...

Quote:
Just as the flange and braces have no bearing on whether or not a basket is scored, neither does the net. While it is a part of the make up of the basket, it is the ring that determines when a basket is good
No.

How do we know if the basket is good?

5-1: A goal is made when a live ball enters the basket from above
and remains in or passes through. No goal is scored if an untouched throwin
goes through the basket.

So, what's defines the basket?

1-10-1: Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches in
inside diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord 12-mesh net, 15 to
18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring.

Quote:
While it is a part of the make up of the basket, it is the ring that determines when a basket is good just as it is only when the ball is touching the ring and not the flanges or net that count for basket interference.
No.

What's really is the definition of basket interference?

4-6-1: Basket interference occurs when a player: Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net)
while the ball is on or within either basket.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 17, 2020 at 07:41pm.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2020, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just as the flange and braces have no bearing on whether or not a basket is scored, neither does the net. While it is a part of the make up of the basket, it is the ring that determines when a basket is good just as it is only when the ball is touching the ring and not the flanges or net that count for basket interference (this is also why we do not stop the game when the net gets caught on the rim).

When I have time tonight I will check my rule book to see if I can find a specific reference but do not have them with me here at work.
BI is when a player :
1) touches the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on or within the basket, 0r
2. Touches the ball when it is within the cylinder that has the ring as it's lower base (that is, when the ball is directly above the basket--with directly being defined in the rule

The play at hand is article 1. I think you are confusing it with article 2.

And, this doesn't follow, to me.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2020, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

Many of these statements are incorrect.

You are right with regards to the reason we have a net but not in what constitutes a goal. As others have said, it is not a basket until it either drops through the bottom of the net OR get stuck so that it doesn't come out (either up or down). If it comes back out through the top, it is NOT a score.

Also, it IS basket interference when the ball is touched or the basket is touched while it is on the flange.

We do stop the game to fix the net when it is incorrectly hanging below the rim. The rules define what the basket should be like. If it is not correctly configured, we stop the game and fix it. It is not the intent of the rule to have the net stuck in such a way that it could prevent a basket from being scored. If the other team never missed a shot, the net could effectively be their entire defense for minutes.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2020, 06:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Guardians Of The IAABO Universe ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
We do stop the game to fix the net when it is incorrectly hanging below the rim. The rules define what the basket should be like. If it is not correctly configured, we stop the game and fix it. It is not the intent of the rule to have the net stuck in such a way that it could prevent a basket from being scored. If the other team never missed a shot, the net could effectively be their entire defense for minutes.
Below is probably not NFHS.

2018-2019 IAABO Significant Manual Revisions
Net gets hung up on ring with the clock running. Follow procedures established by your state association. If your state does not provide any guidance, it is recommended that officials make a mental note of the situation and allow play to continue until the next dead ball with a stopped clock or the ball is in team control of the affected team in their front court and they are not making an immediate try for goal. Quickly have game management untangle the net and resume play at Point of Interruption.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 18, 2020 at 06:41pm.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2020, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Good luck with that because your stance is incorrect.