The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

A1 shoots a layup...the ball rolls along the flange, and is falling off the other side. I (trail) can see the bottom of the ball go below the level of the rim, but not in the basket. Ball is still touching flange on it's way down, again, outside the basket, when it is tapped in by offence.

I let it go, maybe by mistake, feeling that the ball had no chance of going in, and felt it was a tapped in rebound. An experienced ref, watching the game (this was JV boys) said that if the ball was contacting the flange, even with no chance of going in, offensive BI should have been called.

I'm willing to admit I kicked it, but I thought the ball had to be on the rim, or in the cylinder.

Thoughts?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Baseman611
What level?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Boys JV
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 1 Sect.10 Art.1 states . . .Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring 18 inch diameter, ITS FLANGE AND BRACES, etc . . .
Therefore, on the rim includes the Flange.
Rule 4.6 now applies - The rulebook says "basket" but rim in this instance is the same.
AAR
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 01:27pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankHtown
A1 shoots a layup...the ball rolls along the flange, and is falling off the other side. I (trail) can see the bottom of the ball go below the level of the rim, but not in the basket. Ball is still touching flange on it's way down, again, outside the basket, when it is tapped in by offence.

I let it go, maybe by mistake, feeling that the ball had no chance of going in, and felt it was a tapped in rebound. An experienced ref, watching the game (this was JV boys) said that if the ball was contacting the flange, even with no chance of going in, offensive BI should have been called.

I'm willing to admit I kicked it, but I thought the ball had to be on the rim, or in the cylinder.

Thoughts?
Great call. The ball has to be on the ring to have BI. If it's on the side of the ring, it's legal to touch it.

Read case book play 9.11.1SitF and give yourself an Attaboy.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Almost Always Right
Rule 1 Sect.10 Art.1 states . . .Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring 18 inch diameter, ITS FLANGE AND BRACES, etc . . .
Therefore, on the rim includes the Flange.
Rule 4.6 now applies - The rulebook says "basket" but rim in this instance is the same.
AAR
Are you saying this is a violation?
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Just in case it's unclear from the various posts, I'm going to agree with JR. Frank, your no-call was correct. It is only a violation if the ball is in the cylinder or on the rim. The ball was touching the rim but not on. Therefore, no violation.
Old Mon Feb 14, 2005, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

An "Attaboy" from me too!