View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 18, 2020, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
The net is there so that we can see the ball has passed through the basket. If the ball has fallen all the way through the ring it is a basket, regardless of how far it has traveled through the net. So, in your scenario, the ball would still have to be within the ring when it hits the kid on the head for us to cancel the basket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
Just as the flange and braces have no bearing on whether or not a basket is scored, neither does the net. While it is a part of the make up of the basket, it is the ring that determines when a basket is good just as it is only when the ball is touching the ring and not the flanges or net that count for basket interference (this is also why we do not stop the game when the net gets caught on the rim).

When I have time tonight I will check my rule book to see if I can find a specific reference but do not have them with me here at work.
Many of these statements are incorrect.

You are right with regards to the reason we have a net but not in what constitutes a goal. As others have said, it is not a basket until it either drops through the bottom of the net OR get stuck so that it doesn't come out (either up or down). If it comes back out through the top, it is NOT a score.

Also, it IS basket interference when the ball is touched or the basket is touched while it is on the flange.

We do stop the game to fix the net when it is incorrectly hanging below the rim. The rules define what the basket should be like. If it is not correctly configured, we stop the game and fix it. It is not the intent of the rule to have the net stuck in such a way that it could prevent a basket from being scored. If the other team never missed a shot, the net could effectively be their entire defense for minutes.