The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 16, 2020, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking captain?

I can't find it anywhere in the officials manual, but is it mandatory to pick one speaking captain of a team that has two or more captains in the meeting with the referee.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2020, 06:47pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhi1 View Post
I can't find it anywhere in the officials manual, but is it mandatory to pick one speaking captain of a team that has two or more captains in the meeting with the referee.
Ain't no such thing as a "Speaking Captain", though it is a chronically habitual thing many say. Kinda like, "Tonight we're playing the black line all the way around," "Play defense with your feet", etc. Ugh.
3-1-1 says, "Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain."
Ergo, each team shall have no more than one captain. Only one captain shall each team designate. Captains, of which each team has one, will be singular in nature respective to each team, such number never constituting more than two total for both teams. Divide the number two by the number of teams involved and then shall the product be the number of captains each team shall have, which is one. Sorry....
Ceremonially, any number of players may attend the pregame meeting. Heck, make it a big, warm-and-fuzzy-feeling Kum Ba Ya moment and have all the players attend, that's ok. But it's up to you to ask, "Which of you is the captain?"
I'll leave it to you to identify the designated privileges and duties ascribed to the two captains. That's found elsewhere in the rules book.

Last edited by Freddy; Thu Jan 16, 2020 at 06:51pm.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2020, 07:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

O Captain! My Captain! (Walt Whitman, 1865) ...

2-7-1: The officials shall conduct the game in accordance with the rules. This
includes: Notifying the captains when play is about to begin at the start of
the game.

3-1-1: Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain.

3-1-2: The captain is the representative of his/her team and may
address an official on matters of interpretation or to obtain essential
information, if it is done in a courteous manner. Any player may address an
official to request a time-out or permission to leave the court.

3-3-E: A captain may request a defensive match-up if three or more
substitutes from the same team enter during an opportunity to
substitute.

8-2: The free throw(s) awarded because of a personal foul shall be attempted
by the offended player. If such player must withdraw because of an injury
or disqualification, his/her substitute shall attempt the throw(s) unless no
substitute is available, in which case any teammate may attempt the
throw(s) as selected by the team captain or head coach.

8-3: The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by
any player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or
designated starter. The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).

For us IAABO guys, IAABO made it a lot easier to avoid the, "Who's the speaking captain? What's your number (if hidden by a warmup jersey)? Are you starting?", in the pregame coaches/captains conference with a mechanics change last season:

2018-2019 IAABO Significant Manual Revisions:
The tossing official on the jump ball no longer checks for readiness with the captains.

I haven't had a request for a defensive match-up in, literally, decades, and most of the guys here in my little corner of Connecticut will answer questions from any player if done in a courteous manner.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 16, 2020, 07:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Ergo, each team shall have no more than one captain. Only one captain shall each team designate. Captains, of which each team has one, will be singular in nature respective to each team, such number never constituting more than two total for both teams. Divide the number two by the number of teams involved and then shall the product be the number of captains each team shall have, which is one.
I'm guessing that Freddy stayed up late last night and watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Jan 16, 2020, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Nope. It is the absolute dumbest thing we do at the already dumb meeting with 2-6 dudes who never listen and don’t share your information with their teammates.

Really the only reason we do it is to give the impression to the building that we’re talking about something meaningful. As for me, I try to say something original and/or funny every time I’m the R and usually it has absolutely nothing to do with basketball. If we gotta huddle in that circle, I figure I might as well introduce myself as a normal human being instead of a domineering robot. Helps get the players on our side and might pay dividends later when the tension rises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Jan 16, 2020, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Cap

This is certainly a direct extension of crew working game and should be “to each their own” implemented with purpose... When “R” I keep it short : sportsmanship and stop play on the whistle “C” relay to coach when asking for timeouts inform crew 30/Full
Old Thu Jan 16, 2020, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
It is the absolute dumbest thing we do at the already dumb meeting ...

Really the only reason we do it is to give the impression to the building that we’re talking about something meaningful ...
This and this.

I am still FLOORED any time an official I respect asks for speaking captains. I feel so let down.
Old Thu Jan 16, 2020, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

The captain's meeting in basketball is the most useless thing we'll do on the floor that night

Last edited by scrounge; Fri Jan 17, 2020 at 08:42am.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 05:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Per NFHS rules there is only one captain. Reference 3-1-1.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Helps get the players on our side and might pay dividends later when the tension rises.
So does getting a couple of names and using the names before the jump and when addressing any issues.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

I don't remember who the captains are once we dismiss them and I certainly don't remember who the "speaking captain" in the event my R asks (I never ask when I'm the R).

Nor do I care.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

No Need for Captains

I do the captains meeting for Varsity and some JV games only. I do not waste my time talking to middle schoolers when they barely put 5 minutes on the clock between games any way.

I also do not ask for a speaking captain. I do not care who the captains are. What if the captain is on the bench when a question needs to be asked? I allow any player to address me as long as it is done respectfully and they do not spend the whole night trying to talk to me. I will not "coach" a player but I will briefly explain why I made a call if it does not take my time or attention away from the game. However, I can go weeks without a player (including a captain) asking a question.
Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 11:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Rapport ...

Quote:
I try to say something original and/or funny every time I’m the R and usually it has absolutely nothing to do with basketball.
Not every time for me, depends on the time on the clock, the coaches, and my partner. More likely in a middle school game. If I do it may involve school names, or team mascots, quizzing the opponents regarding such. "Who is Dag Hammarskjöld?" "Why are your opponents called the Noises?" "Why is this school called Wamogo?" "Why is this school called RHAM?" "Who is Woodrow Wilson?"

Old Fri Jan 17, 2020, 11:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Quotient ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Divide the number two by the number of teams involved and then shall the product be the number of captains each team shall have ...
The answer to a division problem is a quotient. The answer to a multiplication problem is a product.

I owe an apology to Mr. Madden, my Algebra II teacher in high school. I always complained to him, "When will I ever need this in real life".

Who knew at the time that I would need it to yank Freddy's chain.

And I always wondered why those two trains never collided.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jan 17, 2020 at 07:39pm.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2020, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

It irks me a little bit when, as the R, I ask my partner if he has anything to add and he asks for speaking captains.