The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 08, 2011, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Captain Question

Hi everybody-
Hope your season is going well.Have a question for the esteemed members of this board-

During a match the visiting coach wants clarification on a call.She sends #2 to talk to the R1 instead of her listed floor captain on the line-up sheet #15.R1 allows the discussion to proceed and then resumes play.

A.Should R1 have allowed the discussion with anyone other than the listed floor captain on the line-up sheet?
B.If no then what should the sanction have been in NFHS rules?

Thanks,
Derryl Trujillo (Statistician/Scorekeeper Woodcrest Christian High School Riverside,CA)
Old Sat Oct 08, 2011, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

It's not a HUGE deal to talk to someone aside from the playing captain. Though, to maintain order in the situations that get chaotic, the playing captain is the only one you want to talk to, allow to talk to you. To help maintain that order, it's general practice to only discuss things with the playing captain, so when those situations do arise, the team and the playing captains are the only ones that know the PC will be the only one to be communicated through.

A simple, "I will only discuss things with the playing captain" would suffice. The player would've then either told the coach that, to which the PC would've been told to go to you or they would've dropped whatever they were asking.

If non-captains continue to approach the stand, keep upright (don't bend over to invite the conversation), and simply motion to "go away". Then they'll realize you're serious about only discussing things with the captain.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 03:32am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Derryl, that is why we want to be aware of who specifically is the floor captain for each team. If a non-captain approaches me. I will tell her that only the captain is allowed to address me during the match. If she continually attempts to address me as a non-captain, I will give her a yellow card (for minor unsporting).
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I've seen this (improper communication by non-captain) get carded in a play-off match about 5 years ago.That's what made me wonder about whether or not that rule had changed-by the way at the first available time-out in that set our R2 asked to see the line-up sheets and reminded his R1 who the floor captains were.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear View Post
Derryl, that is why we want to be aware of who specifically is the floor captain for each team. If a non-captain approaches me. I will tell her that only the captain is allowed to address me during the match. If she continually attempts to address me as a non-captain, I will give her a yellow card (for minor unsporting).
I agree that this is the best way to handle it.

FYI, I was in your neck of the woods yesterday Jan - early am flight to OAK, then catch a launch out to a ship, 5 hours of testing, then back to OAK for a flight home....it was a really long day.......
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Additional "Captain" questions in NCAAW (and, I'm a scorekeeper, not a referee):

1) 15 is the captain. In the second set, 2 substitutes for 15, and 7 is designated the captain. A few points later, 15 substitutes for 2. Is 15 "automatically" again the captain, or does 7 remain the captain?

2) In the third set, 2 again substitues for 15, and 7 is again designated the captain. But, 7 is not on the floor (out for the libero at the time). Before I can catch that, the ball is served. After the point, I notify R2, who gets clarification from the coach that 6 should be the captain. Any penalty (by rule -- I understand that game management may differ)?
Old Mon Oct 17, 2011, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Additional "Captain" questions in NCAAW (and, I'm a scorekeeper, not a referee):

1) 15 is the captain. In the second set, 2 substitutes for 15, and 7 is designated the captain. A few points later, 15 substitutes for 2. Is 15 "automatically" again the captain, or does 7 remain the captain?

2) In the third set, 2 again substitues for 15, and 7 is again designated the captain. But, 7 is not on the floor (out for the libero at the time). Before I can catch that, the ball is served. After the point, I notify R2, who gets clarification from the coach that 6 should be the captain. Any penalty (by rule -- I understand that game management may differ)?
I'm assuming NCAAW is NCAA Women's. If that assumption is correct it's the following.

1). 7 remains the captain until he/she is replaced, or until the originally designated captain (15) returns to the court.

2). No, no penalty. Just something to get at the next dead ball. This is where a good pre-match with your scorekeeping team helps. When I'm R2, I make sure to mention this scenario. I say, "If the captain leaves the court for some reason, let me know 'Hey Antonio, captain needed on the right/left' so I can get that information from the coaches."

Usually, you'll get the coaches who will note who the captain is to be once the original captain leaves the court on the lineup sheet. Though, it's not uncommon to have to request it from the coach. Just make sure when you ARE going to have to request the captain, that it's during that team's service. That way you're not ruining the momentum of the other team by trying to get the captain for the opposing team.