The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 29, 2019, 07:04pm
Official Forum Member

Louisville/Kentucky Coaching Box T

At 4:23 in the second half Calipari gets hit with a Class B TF for being outside his box after a warning. A POE this year in NCAA properly enforced by the crew.

I never want to hear the “college officials don’t enforce (x, y, and z)” nonsense again when I still can’t get fellow high school officials to keep coaches in their box.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2019, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
At 4:23 in the second half Calipari gets hit with a Class B TF for being outside his box after a warning. A POE this year in NCAA properly enforced by the crew.

I never want to hear the “college officials don’t enforce (x, y, and z)” nonsense again when I still can’t get fellow high school officials to keep coaches in their box.
The problem is you can't say it is consistently enforced when coaches are out of their boxes several times per game in almost every game without any warning being given. Having a handful of examples just isn't sufficient to prove it is getting enforced.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The problem is you can't say it is consistently enforced when coaches are out of their boxes several times per game in almost every game without any warning being given. Having a handful of examples just isn't sufficient to prove it is getting enforced.
I rarely see coaches on TV going outside the 38-foot line without it being addressed in some way. Calipari himself has received multiple official warnings this season; he didn't even pretend to be surprised that he got whacked on Saturday. I suppose it's possible I'm just not paying enough attention, but ever since the box expanded it seems this issue is a lot less prevalent. And in the small college games I work, I can assure you it is expected that we enforce it just as JD Collins expects it.

On the other hand, I seldom see high school officials putting wandering coaches back in the box. I gave a HS coach a warning recently and he acted like I had shot his firstborn son (I reported it as a coaching box warning when it probably should have been a behavior warning). If NFHS expanded to 38 feet it would probably be helpful, but that won't happen.

Last edited by SC Official; Mon Dec 30, 2019 at 12:41pm.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If NFHS expanded to 38 feet it would probably be helpful, but that won't happen.

That will never happen when most HS courts are 84 feet long. That would leave only 8 feet of neutral ground in the middle. Most tables are at wider than that.

At most, to be equitable with NCAA, you could expand the NFHS box to 33ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 10:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

Back In The Box Coach ...

Quote:
... I seldom see high school officials putting wandering coaches back in the box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
That will never happen when most HS courts are 84 feet long. That would leave only 8 feet of neutral ground in the middle. Most tables are at wider than that.
Since the NFHS allowed high school coaches to wander down to the endline several years ago, I don't pay too much attention to the other end of the coaching box unless the coach is in front of the table. I usually notice this before reporting fouls and I don't report the foul until I push (with hand gestures and orally, "Back in the box coach") the coach back into his coaching box. Almost all comply, but if they don't, they'll get an "official" warning. Oft times they really don't know that they're out of the box, they're enthusiastically watching the game, the players, the officials, not the lines on the court.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe if NFHS would finally get rid of the seatbelt rule after a TF, the 28-foot box would get enforced more strictly?
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Maybe if NFHS would finally get rid of the seatbelt rule after a TF, the 28-foot box would get enforced more strictly?

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 01:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

The reality, a lot of this stuff is coming from the top. And JD used video evidence to drive the point home. And because JD has made it clear he is not giving tournament assignments to people that cannot get plays right or follow the standards they set. So this stuff happens. And bench decorum was big at the meetings I attended and I am not at all a D1 official.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The reality, a lot of this stuff is coming from the top. And JD used video evidence to drive the point home. And because JD has made it clear he is not giving tournament assignments to people that cannot get plays right or follow the standards they set. So this stuff happens. And bench decorum was big at the meetings I attended and I am not at all a D1 official.

Peace
I am with you. I just can't stand the narrative that the higher-level officials turn a blind eye to obvious rules infractions, especially when the lower-level officials who make that claim don't enforce the same rules in the games they work. I am not saying there isn't any room for improvement, but the fact that this rule and POE (which many would say "has nothing to do with the game") was properly enforced late in a game of this magnitude speaks volumes, IMO.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 02:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I am with you. I just can't stand the narrative that the higher-level officials turn a blind eye to obvious rules infractions, especially when the lower-level officials who make that claim don't enforce the same rules in the games they work. I am not saying there isn't any room for improvement, but the fact that this rule and POE (which many would say "has nothing to do with the game") was properly enforced late in a game of this magnitude speaks volumes, IMO.
I cannot stand the narrative that only HS officials call the game a certain way either. I have been doing this long enough to see officials simply say, "I do not care about the coaching box and I do not know why (name is taken out) cares either?

Then these will be the same officials wondering why they cannot work certain postseason assignments or why they cannot get the right holiday tournament or featured shootout.

Sometimes the path of least resistance does not do you justice. And I am glad to see the official take action, but high school officials certainly are not doing a lot of giving Ts either.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm a high school official and the vast majority of my games are in 2-man. While the ball is in play the coaches box is among the least of my worries, as I'm either trail/lead with my back (mostly) to the bench, lead focused on post play, or trail opposite focused on an on-ball matchup.

I have ushered a few coaches back into the box during a dead ball, and as someone else pointed out above, mostly they don't realize they're out of the box. Never really had an issue. Not saying that it shouldn't be, just relaying my experience.
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

I actually gave a coach a warning for being outside the coaching box in a holiday tournament game. I noticed he was outside the box, and told him he needed to get back in thr box. He said something sarcastic along the lines of "Worry about the game, not where I am." I gave him a behavioral warning. If it were college, he'd receive a coaching box warning.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2020, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Hmm, funny people complain and will go out of their way to enforce coaches boxes horizontally but what about vertically? Every coach steps inbounds at one point or another. No one mentions that stuff.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2020, 08:15am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Hmm, funny people complain and will go out of their way to enforce coaches boxes horizontally but what about vertically? Every coach steps inbounds at one point or another. No one mentions that stuff.
You just mentioned it. How are you dealing with it in your games?
Old Thu Jan 02, 2020, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
You just mentioned it. How are you dealing with it in your games?
Unless, a coach is, IMO, too far on the court, I do not deal with it. Most HS places simply do not have enough room for a coach to be able to stand/walk without being very near the sideline. I am yet to have any issue with a coach going beyond (over the ends) the box but they are frequently right on the line crouching/standing. Sure, they get out of the way when play is near but at other times, they are all over that sideline. Much like the ends of the box, unless it is egregious, I do not address it. Maybe an idle/subtle comment from time to time but nothing even remotely T-worthy, or evening warning-worthy.